Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,005,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammerus View Post
Well I live around 67th and Bethany (southwest Glendale) and I don't travel anywhere alone without my police grade pepper spray. I have been fallowed, and... cut off by many a creepy old man. I don't recommend this area, at all.
That was probably all at the Fry's on the corner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:13 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,637,744 times
One new phenomena is Block Watch by e-mail. Let's face it, the local rag does not mention much crime because it is bad for advertising and discourages people from other states moving here. I didn't notice crime much until this e-mail thing in our neighborhood started up, we have some 500 people on it now and every single break-in, car theft, vandalism, graffiti, solicitors and those people who put flyers on your door but look in your windows are promptly reported. We caught a guy that cut holes in roofs to rob a few months ago. He had over $1 million dollars worth of stuff in his house and the police had to haul it to an auditorium so people could identify what was theirs, and this did not include all the jewelry and other small items that had already been pawned. We have armed men in a van that robs yardmen of all their equipment, not caught yet. Scams are reported also so it seems there is more crime but in reality we are just being informed more for the first time.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM

946 posts, read 2,608,185 times
I have lived in Apache Junction, Mesa (Grnfld and Southern), Tempe, and Phoenix (24th and McDowell)--the only time I had anything stolen was while visiting my girlfriend in Scottsdale--some punk stole my motorcycle helmet.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,330,596 times
The crimes that are being reported here happen everywhere. The difference is people in other cities expect it and understand that it occurs. I just feel like this is part of the transformation from small town to big city in Phoenix. There is still this small town minded attitude and thus these crimes are such a big deal here whereas someone in Philly and Chicago wouldn't really be in such awe about it.

In regards to safety, I think this is an incredibly safe feeling city. I feel like 90% of the city is pretty safe. We have pockets of crime but we don't have full fledged ghettos and barrios or even crime riddent areas that are so large that it would encompass an area as large as some of our cities in the valley. For all the bashing that Phoenix gets for not being an urban city, those same people (not suprisingly) fail to account for the crime that occurs within large urban cities elsewhere. In other cities, you actually have to be concerned with armed robbery, rape, violent crime, assault, and car jackings. We have that here but it's not the same type of random crime. If we have a rape or murder, it's usually in an apartment complex in which the victim knew the criminal; it's not the type of crime in which someone was parking at Fashion Square mall and were attacked in the parking lot or someone was walking to a Suns game and was attacked on the street, you don't see that here. When I'm in Oakland, I do fear my car getting stolen during the day if I park it in downtown Oakland, I don't feel that sense of fear parking my car in downtown Phoenix.

I think this thread is kind of stupid and pointless. If you posted this in any city forum, you would have people rush to the defense of that city but why is it in the Phoenix forum, we lack that same pride and have people detail these crimes. Do you really think these crimes don't occur in places like Dallas, Houston or San Jose? Seriously, how vague and general is a thread entitled: "What kinds of crime have you had" Talk about an open ended question that is just inviting people to vent. Give me a break people! This has got to be one of the dumbest threads on this forum.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM

235 posts, read 757,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophins72 View Post
I have had pool equipment stolen out of my backyard, car broken into, a car ditched in front of my house, and stuff thrown at me while out jogging. i live in south tempe, sort of a nice area, near chandler.
I think Arizona is the home of the drive by thirst buster. I have had things thrown at me, and screamed at me a number of times. It has to do with the lack of things to do for teenagers in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area