Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,525 times

Advertisements

Hello there.... i have 3 kids,one is 4 y/o whos' going to sch this yr and a 3 y/o twins, one has Cerebral palsy..we are fr MD, moved here to phoenix(apt only),,but were thinking of buying a house..now my question is what is the nice play to live in? for kids education, special education, an affordable place and not too hot weather.. we went to surprise last week, a lot of new construction houses, what can u say of surprise, is it a good area for kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,074,580 times
If your major concern is the child with CP, then you should try to stay in the Kyrene school district and not move so far out to a place that doesn't have its schools and/or programs ready for a special needs child. Surprise is nice but schools in AZ leave alot to be desired and generally the newer areas have less to offer than the older ones.

If you think one area of the Valley is COOLER than another, PLEASE let me know. I will move there tomorrow!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:39 PM

28 posts, read 77,605 times
Default Phxbarb

Why are you so negative about schooling in Arizona? Are you trying to discourage people moving to Arizona? If you look on the internet about schools across America most of them stink. Funding is being cut all over not just Arizona. I have gone on this forum for weeks and I think it is a crime to send your children to school in this state as per this forum. On the other hand look in CA., CO, NV, OR. they all say the same thing schools suck in out state. Why don't you and all the school haters stop complaining and start doing. I am not from AZ but just got back from a trip and visited Deaf and Hard of Hearing School and Sequoia School for the Deaf and what I saw was great! After reading all this negative stuff I don't know what to do about my 2 that are in High School just sounds horrible there. Why is it so BAD?

Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 PM

46 posts, read 139,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf50 View Post
Why are you so negative about schooling in Arizona? Are you trying to discourage people moving to Arizona? If you look on the internet about schools across America most of them stink. Funding is being cut all over not just Arizona. I have gone on this forum for weeks and I think it is a crime to send your children to school in this state as per this forum. On the other hand look in CA., CO, NV, OR. they all say the same thing schools suck in out state. Why don't you and all the school haters stop complaining and start doing. I am not from AZ but just got back from a trip and visited Deaf and Hard of Hearing School and Sequoia School for the Deaf and what I saw was great! After reading all this negative stuff I don't know what to do about my 2 that are in High School just sounds horrible there. Why is it so BAD?
there are many reasons why education is bad in arizona, but I think the overwhelming problem is that we are teaching for the AIMS test because of the no child left behind act. The right-wing leanings of many of our local school boards has not helped. A truly educated society is not obedient, demands too much money, and good working conditions; this cuts into profits, and that won't be tolerated. We have been duped into believing that standardized test scores = quality education.
That said, you can find a good education here, but you will have to try harder here than in some other places.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,074,580 times
I couldn't care less how many people move to AZ.... I am not negative about every school district, but for children with a disability which is my field, there are many better states than AZ. For deaf and blind kids, there are great services here. Others such as the OP's child with CP will have a more difficult time finding what they need in these school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area