Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:57 AM

13 posts, read 61,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil01 View Post
I live in Maryvale I am white my neighborhood is pretty clean people take care of their properties don`t see much Graffiti .It is pretty quiet in the evenings see a police helicopter once in a while .I can`t say all Maryvale is nice just speaking for my area
What area of Maryvale is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 PM

101 posts, read 314,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaxg View Post
What area of Maryvale is that?

Near the Golf Course

Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM

496 posts, read 1,056,641 times
What about Maryvale Terrace? There are alot of large houses for sale very inexpensive. Is there alot of crime in this neighborhood?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,635,224 times
Maryvale was selling a 1550 square foot house, with a swimming pool, for $9,500 in 1958. Lots of WWII vets bought homes with nothing down. Many, too many did not make any payments so FHA ended up with a ton of empty houses. There were so many that the FHA stopped requiring the homes be brought up to standard by fixing any problems and instead just started selling the homes cheap. The result is Maryvale 2009. Even the Maryvale Shopping Center closed because the parking lot was so dangerous. None of this is getting any better, there is a cancer in Maricopa county and it is spreading all over.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
None of this is getting any better, there is a cancer in Maricopa county and it is spreading all over.
A bit of an overstatement, IMO. Would I live in Maryvale? No. Do I think it is symbolic of a "cancer" spreading all over the county? Good grief, no. If you really think so, why are you still here?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM

362 posts, read 1,702,597 times
Default John F Long / Maryvale

Heres a couple of shots of the opening sales days of Maryvale.
John F Long with another great American you may recognize. Regan was a pitchman for Long back in the late 50's.

I've lived in West Phoenix since 1959 and seen Maryvale go from a beautiful suburb to a (mostly) gang infested crap-hole.

Stay away if you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Maryvale a good area to buy properties and if not, how and why is it not a good area?-j-f-long-maryvale-1958.jpg   Is Maryvale a good area to buy properties and if not, how and why is it not a good area?-jf-long-r-reagan-1958.jpg  

Old 12-14-2009, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 26,056 times
I have lived in the Maryvale area near Indian School Rd and 55th Ave since 1977. When we moved in, it was an all white neighborhood with homes overall kept nicely, grass cut and kept up, homes painted, etc. But even at that time, a few of the homes were neglected. Today it is a different story, the well-kept up homes are an exception rather than the rule. There are probably 7 homes out of 30 on each block that look nice. Papers and bottles are dropped anywhere. Beer bottles, broken and not broken are left in front yards. Most yards are not properly wattered, which results in a mostly dust-laden yards. Cars are parked on what is supposed to be the front yards, or the sidewalks, instead of on the street. Graffiti is a constant problem, needing repainting all the time. Very loud car music is a constant, so loud that the walls of my house shake. On weekends cars are being sold in the front yards of some homes, and some yards become a swap meet with lots and lots of merchandise being brought in from other places. The only difference between 1977 and now, is that these neighborhoods are 97% Spanish. I never thought I had anything against the Spanish people, but why do they have to live like pigs? Where does this come from? Moving out is not an option, I'm like everybody else, can't afford to do that anymore.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius61 View Post
I have lived in the Maryvale area near Indian School Rd and 55th Ave since 1977. When we moved in, it was an all white neighborhood with homes overall kept nicely, grass cut and kept up, homes painted, etc. But even at that time, a few of the homes were neglected. Today it is a different story, the well-kept up homes are an exception rather than the rule. There are probably 7 homes out of 30 on each block that look nice. Papers and bottles are dropped anywhere. Beer bottles, broken and not broken are left in front yards. Most yards are not properly wattered, which results in a mostly dust-laden yards. Cars are parked on what is supposed to be the front yards, or the sidewalks, instead of on the street. Graffiti is a constant problem, needing repainting all the time. Very loud car music is a constant, so loud that the walls of my house shake. On weekends cars are being sold in the front yards of some homes, and some yards become a swap meet with lots and lots of merchandise being brought in from other places. The only difference between 1977 and now, is that these neighborhoods are 97% Spanish. I never thought I had anything against the Spanish people, but why do they have to live like pigs? Where does this come from? Moving out is not an option, I'm like everybody else, can't afford to do that anymore.
I don't think there are too many Spaniards in Maryvale. However, there are lots of Hispanics and whites, blacks, and Asians. The population is generally lower income for all races that live in the area; therefore, one priority of those people wouldn't be to buy pretty grass, trees, and plant flowers and pay for the water when they are having trouble buying food, paying for gas, and utilities. Still, I have seen Maryvale looking better and areas improving. Including crime in which Maryvale has seen the largest drop in the city.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 26,056 times
Dear Fcorrales80: You obviously do not live in Maryvale. Am I correct on that? Your stats sure don't match mine.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius61 View Post
Dear Fcorrales80: You obviously do not live in Maryvale. Am I correct on that? Your stats sure don't match mine.
Have family there since the 1960's, there often, and will be there at my great aunt's house for family "lunch" Christmas Eve; she's not from the Spanish side of the family either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area