Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone tell me what area is consider Maryvale ? A map would be helpful.
I heard its a really bad area quite often in this forum and no idea where it is. i want to know where about so i can avoid driving by if posible.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
i want to know where about so i can avoid driving by if posible.
Thank you.
You don't really have to do that.

It's not like one of these neighborhoods here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-america.html

Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
I'd say the rough boundaries are I-10 on the south, 83rd Avenue on the west, Camelback Road on the north and 35th Avenue on the east.

Keep in mind, though, that you are unlikely to drive through the neighborhood unless you a reason to go there. Besides, there are few, if any, neighborhoods in Phoenix that are dangerous to drive through. Broad six-lane arterial streets see to that. The danger is more a factor for those who live in rough areas.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:06 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
yeah - no danger driving through maryvale and if you like spring training I would definitely recommend checking out a brewers game at their stadium

also, you probably wouldn't accidently drive through it

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Although Maryvale is run down, it really is not all that dangerous. My grandparents bought a brand new house right across the street from Maryvale Mall back in 1955. They lived there until 2005. They never had any crime problems whatsoever.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Although Maryvale is run down, it really is not all that dangerous. My grandparents bought a brand new house right across the street from Maryvale Mall back in 1955. They lived there until 2005. They never had any crime problems whatsoever.
I agree. We've got family over there and go visit now and then usually staying till after dark. We've never been involved in or seen anything going on. In some ways, I think it has improved there over the past few years becoming a more stable Hispanic area instead of a transient renter dominated one. You see a lot of people fixing up their houses, adding rooms, garages etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:45 PM

300 posts, read 952,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I agree. We've got family over there and go visit now and then usually staying till after dark. We've never been involved in or seen anything going on. In some ways, I think it has improved there over the past few years becoming a more stable Hispanic area instead of a transient renter dominated one. You see a lot of people fixing up their houses, adding rooms, garages etc.

Yes a lot of people fixing their garages into 4th bedrooms.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM

300 posts, read 952,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Is there anyone tell me what area is consider Maryvale ? A map would be helpful.
I heard its a really bad area quite often in this forum and no idea where it is. i want to know where about so i can avoid driving by if posible.
Thank you.
quick search of google:

Maryvale, Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maryvale, Phoenix, Arizona Zip Code Boundary Map (AZ)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ryville-3.html

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
from azpbs.org......

Birth of Suburbia

Searching for their own pieces of heaven, upstart builders John F. Long, John Hall and Del Webb transformed the Valley with their innovative ideas. Building an entire community, Maryvale, from the ground up, Long pioneered the idea of the master-planned community. Other innovations included the use of simple, mass production construction techniques, the widespread construction of the "ranch style" house and the beginning of the "patio lifestyle." By 1959, more houses were built in the Valley in that decade than in the previous four combined.

Read the complete transcript:

Narrator:
In 1947, a newly married vet named John F. Long returned to Phoenix to find his own piece of heaven. The future developer began with a single house. John F. Long: His first home was to be our own, and I really hadn't decided what I wanted to do. But anyway, we built the home, practically all the work ourselves. We sold the home and then built the next one. That was to be our home. I think we built 12, 13 homes individually like that until -- 1949 is when I started the first subdivision.

Narrator:
Now that the automobile allowed homeowners to live farther from downtown, Phoenix didn't just spread outward. It took a giant leap. John F. Long:
We started Maryvale in 1954, and the overall plan was to develop a community that would provide homes for young families and a place for their recreation and employment and so forth, and their shopping, all in one given area.
Narrator:
In building an entire community from the ground up, long pioneered the idea of a master-planned community.
Grady Gammage Jr.:
He hired one of the eminent planners in that era to lay out Maryvale with streets that would create neighborhoods where there would be parks that were planned in advance. In fact, he built many of those parks and then gave them to the city of Phoenix , with school sites designated in advance of where they would go in the subdivisions.
Narrator:
Building on a mass scale allowed long and other developers to experiment with ways to lower construction costs.
Marshall Trimble:
That resulted in the ranch house being sort of hit on as the prototype for how to do this. Simple construction, relatively plain house, typically one story, built on a slab, slab-on-grade construction. It could be delivered very quickly and very efficiently. 1950s radio announcer: Phoenix is world-renowned as a city of beautiful homes. This is where the home building industry was revolutionized, where new building techniques were developed, where methods were devised to give the homeowner a lot more home for a lot less cost.
Lloyd Clark:
We moved down to Maryvale, and it was a little $7,000 house out on 47th avenue and Indian School . And John F. Long had built these, God bless him, because it was the first time we could afford a house. It was the first home my father ever was able to buy. Payments were $55 a month. These were great little houses.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times
I know a family who lives across the street from the park and they said theft is pretty bad. When I have visited, they wouldn't let me walk to my car alone for safety reasons. Keep in mind this was 4 years ago though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area