Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times

Advertisements

Maryvale or just about any part of west Phoenix is considered not so nice.

Further west is much better out toward the suburbs. Try Goodyear, Litchfield Park, or north Avondale. But try and avoid south Avondale or Tolleson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Maryvale or just about any part of west Phoenix is considered not so nice.

Further west is much better out toward the suburbs. Try Goodyear, Litchfield Park, or north Avondale. But try and avoid south Avondale or Tolleson.
How are you defining "west Phoenix"? Or north and south Avondale, for that matter (is I-10 the dividing line, or?)

Overgeneralizing about large areas ("west Phoenix") is something to be avoided, IMO.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
How are you defining "west Phoenix"? Or north and south Avondale, for that matter (is I-10 the dividing line, or?)

Overgeneralizing about large areas ("west Phoenix") is something to be avoided, IMO.
The I-10 I would say is the line between north and south Avondale. There is a considerable difference between north Avondale, the newer part, and south Avondale, the old part.

I was just writing how west Phoenix has a poor reputation because of a few bad areas, I didn't mean that all of it is bad. You're right, it is overgeneralizing.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,521 times
Maryvale was the place to be - in its day. My family moved into one of the original models at 47th Drive and Indian School in 1967. However, within the first 10 years the neighborhood starting going down and we moved a few miles north. The homes were actually quite sturdy. It is sad to drive by the old neighborhood. When I tell people I graduated from Maryvale High School they immediately refer to the crime there.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
My co-workers mother lives in Maryvale. I guess she is both frightened by the crime in her area but also too stubborn to move as she has been there so long.

But I hear mixed things about Maryvale. Some say the rep. is overblown and others think it's the South Central of Phoenix. Like anywhere else it probably changes street to street. I doubt the entire area is as bad as some claim.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 AM

101 posts, read 314,497 times
Like I have said before I live in maryvale never had no problems but its like all of phoenix there are probably bad spots

Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,164,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil01 View Post
Like I have said before I live in maryvale never had no problems but its like all of phoenix there are probably bad spots
I'm truly glad you have found Maryvale to be a safe place for you. However, crime stats posted on the City of Phoenix police website shows that the Maryvale area has the highest violent crime rate in the entire city. That cannot be dismissed.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:56 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
My co-workers mother lives in Maryvale. I guess she is both frightened by the crime in her area but also too stubborn to move as she has been there so long.
It might also be because nobody can sell their homes right now with the values so ridiculously low. The housing market is bad all over Phoenix, but I'd imagine many homes in Maryvale wouldn't be worth much of anything because of the age, and the overall reputation of the area. Nobody really wants to move to Maryvale, but many people who want to move out are pretty much stuck there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
But I hear mixed things about Maryvale. Some say the rep. is overblown and others think it's the South Central of Phoenix. Like anywhere else it probably changes street to street. I doubt the entire area is as bad as some claim.
I remember in the early 1980s when I rode the bus through Maryvale, and it was pretty run down and crime ridden back then ... but the area apparently has gotten much worse. Back in the '80s, south Phoenix used to be considered the bad area, but now it's Maryvale that has that reputation.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I'm truly glad you have found Maryvale to be a safe place for you. However, crime stats posted on the City of Phoenix police website shows that the Maryvale area has the highest violent crime rate in the entire city. That cannot be dismissed.
That is factual about Maryvale.

The false stereotyping comes to play when people start associating the entire west valley with violent crime just because of Maryvale. That is sad.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM

101 posts, read 314,497 times
I am so glad that people that don`t live here want to bash it . But the honest truth I can walk down my street anytime of the night with no problems . Like I said there is probably crime in some areas of maryvale as there is in the rest of the city but I don`t sit here and cut down others area cause I don`t live there. Yes my house value maybe lower due to foreclosures but Recently Canadian people have been buying some of those homes and most are planning on moving and and some already have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area