Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:10 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Once Maryvale was as you described it. But it has changed. There are some houses that have been kept up but there are many that have not.

Something I have noticed is the definition of what is Maryvale has changed. We moved into the area near 35th Ave & Thomas when I was a kid. None of us considered that to be Maryvale back then. Yet it seems to be nowadays. So Maryvale is getting a bad rap from neighborhoods that weren't Maryvale.

As to the cancer thing. I really don't know that much about it. But my late father's house received another one of those newsletters showing the chemical contamination plumes. They all seemed to originate from 35th & Indian School area. There were 3 or 4 distinct plumes. They were talking about a class action suit. I tossed it as I don't plan on signing up but the chemical contamination concern isn't gone. No matter what the facts of the case are.
Wouldn't 35th and Indian School area be Alhambra?

Maryvale is getting an honest rap even it's bad, the crime rate is consistently one of the highest in the city and the entire valley for that matter.

I think what is getting an unfair bad rap is the west valley as a whole, people think of Maryvale and automatically associate that with the entire westside.

The west valley has some very nice areas, not necessarily on the Phoenix side though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
Wikipedia gives different boundaries:

West Phoenix is a neighborhood of Phoenix, Arizona, United States. Maryvale is the predominant neighborhood of the near west side, from about 35th Avenue west to 87th Avenue and from I-10 north to the boundary with the suburb of Glendale at Camelback Road. First developed in the 1950s and 1960s by developer John F. Long, these neighborhoods include inexpensive homes largely developed in the 1950s and 1960s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryvale_(Phoenix)

Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Wikipedia gives different boundaries:

West Phoenix is a neighborhood of Phoenix, Arizona, United States. Maryvale is the predominant neighborhood of the near west side, from about 35th Avenue west to 87th Avenue and from I-10 north to the boundary with the suburb of Glendale at Camelback Road. First developed in the 1950s and 1960s by developer John F. Long, these neighborhoods include inexpensive homes largely developed in the 1950s and 1960s.

Maryvale (Phoenix) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia is only as accurate as the information someone puts in it. As far as the boundaries of the original development, which is where the name came from, I'd trust the source of the man who worked for John F. Long. As indicated upthread, the boundaries of the urban village given the "Maryvale" name by the city are much broader, more in line (or perhaps exactly the same, i haven't compared them) as the ones in the Wiki article. I'd hardly describe an area the size of that described in the Wiki article as a "neighborhood". Again, that's Wikipedia for you.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 PM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Wikipedia is only as accurate as the information someone puts in it. As far as the boundaries of the original development, which is where the name came from, I'd trust the source of the man who worked for John F. Long. As indicated upthread, the boundaries of the urban village given the "Maryvale" name by the city are much broader, more in line (or perhaps exactly the same, i haven't compared them) as the ones in the Wiki article. I'd hardly describe an area the size of that described in the Wiki article as a "neighborhood". Again, that's Wikipedia for you.
Are you sure about that? Could of swore that I've read somewhere that everthing on the Internet is true ;-)

Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Are you sure about that? Could of swore that I've read somewhere that everthing on the Internet is true ;-)

Old 05-22-2014, 03:09 PM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
My wife grew up in Maryvale 1970s went to John F long Elementary 1974-79 she said it was going down hill in the 80's fast. We drive by the house once in a while still looks the same. She remembers an incident where an older woman's home was broken into down the street in the late 80's at night the woman was raped and beaten. The rental house behind them had a lot of dogs mostly pit-bull mixes that were covered in ticks.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:18 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My wife grew up in Maryvale 1970s went to John F long Elementary 1974-79 she said it was going down hill in the 80's fast. We drive by the house once in a while still looks the same. She remembers an incident where an older woman's home was broken into down the street in the late 80's at night the woman was raped and beaten. The rental house behind them had a lot of dogs mostly pit-bull mixes that were covered in ticks.
I remember riding the bus in the 1980s and going through Maryvale. It was becoming pretty bad at that time with all the wire fences surrounding front yards, graffiti on walls, kids running loose in the streets, the drug houses, and the like. Unfortunately, this is what happens when a community geared for lower income people is built. The quality of construction is cheap, and it brings in a less desirable crowd. Thus, the increase in crime and the decrease in the appearance of the neighborhoods. John F. Long had good intentions back in the 1950s & '60s, but his intentions eventually resulted in one of the most undesirable districts in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area