Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil01 View Post
I am so glad that people that don`t live here want to bash it . But the honest truth I can walk down my street anytime of the night with no problems . Like I said there is probably crime in some areas of maryvale as there is in the rest of the city but I don`t sit here and cut down others area cause I don`t live there. Yes my house value maybe lower due to foreclosures but Recently Canadian people have been buying some of those homes and most are planning on moving and and some already have
Hmmm, was that sarcasm? I wasn't bashing Maryvale. I was stating the violent crime rate in Maryvale is the highest in the city of Phoenix, according to the Phoenix police department website. That's factual, not subjective - not bashing at all. And I also said I was truly glad you feel safe in your neighborhood. That was sincere. Why the hostility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Compelled by this thread I took a look at the Phoenix violent crime list for '09. From what I can tell the worst area was W Van Buren & S 35th Ave. Other unsavory areas were:

W Camelback/S 35th Ave/W Indian School/S 19th Ave

E McDowell/16th St/Jefferson/24th St

and W Indian School at 51st Ave and at 67th Ave.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,921 times
I was born in Maryvale in 1963 when it was new, beautiful, green, and an absolutely PHENOMENAL place to live. My dad bought my mom their 1st, and only new home, watched it being built from ground up, picked the lot, floor plan, and exterior style. It's on the west side of 51st Ave., and just south of Thomas Road. It wasn't a John F. Long home, but a "Total Electric Medallion Home". From 51st Ave., on the East, to 59th Ave., on the West, from Thomas Road on the North, to Encanto Blvd., to the south those are all "Medallion Homes", and they were/are absolutely gorgeous! I was born at the original Maryvale Hospial, small single level, and a sister hospital to that of Glendale Memorial Hospital on Northern, and approx. 63rd Ave. We had the Maryvale Golf Course, the Maryvale Mall, Parks, Pools, Drive In's, BEAUTIFUL Brand New MARYVALE HIGH SCHOOL. My sister was the 1st class to start as a Freshman in the fall or 1963, and finish out in 1967 as a graduating Senior. We had a Lucky store on 43rd., Ave., and Thomas, Macayos on 51st and Indian School, a DurWeinersnichell on 59th Ave., and Indian School, (I remember it was an A-Frame building you drove into). The area was SO Beautiful.
Maryvale I TRULY believe has been given a BAD WRAP over the last few decades. I'm not discounting the area is older now, BUT I think there is a lot of "Gossip" throughout the Phx., Valley about how BAD Maryvale is, when those who are making A LOT of the comments have NEVER lived in Maryvale, actually BEEN to Maryvale, and don't know anyone who lives / lived in Maryvale. They seem to simply be repeating what they've heard, or read. Maryvale, like ANY OTHER area, or neighborhoods in Phx., Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, etc., etc., has is good, and it's bad. Nice neighborhood, and not so nice neighborhoods. It's no different from, better, OR WORSE than any other part of the Phoenix Metro Valley. Maryvale had 2 major hurtles to overcome in the last 25 years. 1st was cute, adorable, small, to medium sized homes that weren't as "fancy", and consequently weren't as costly as other homes in the surrounding area's, SO as Phx., expanded, people being people always wanting something better, more expensive, to impress themselves, and their neighbors, left the Maryvale area for North Phx., Paradise Valley, etc. To each his own, and so goes life, but don't bash Maryvale once you've left it. It's done nothing wrong. The home are still there, they're still cute, and adorable, some are actually very stately, and large. There are large, beautiful home in Maryvale if you look for them. The homes around the Golf Course for example are fine, stately homes. I've read blogs, and posting on the internet calling Maryvale a BLIGHTED area, and should be torn down; that it was a BAD IDEA. I'm not sure who wrote that, but THIS is the kind of "gossip" I'm talking about. IF the writer, and those who agree with that writer, feel as if Maryvale is BLIGHTED, again, PUT THE BLAME where it squarely belongs, which is on the people who abandoned it, NOT on Maryvale, it's still the same as it's always been. The 2nd hurtle Maryvale had to overcome was that REDICULOUS cancer scare back in the '80's. Not only was nothing EVER proven, BUT it was later found to be FALSE. LOOK IT UP. When that hit Maryvale, there was what one reporter called "White Flight", and EVERYONE freaked out, and left. Again, put the blame where it belongs. FACTS are an AMAZING THING!
SO with those 2 hurtles in the rearview mirror, why is there still so much gossip about how BAD Maryvale is? Because that's the way people are. I guess it makes them feel better, I don't know, I don't think I want to, but I do know it breaks my heart to hear it, because when I drive through Maryvale, I STILL SEE those CUTE, ADORABLE, and YES EVEN LARGE STATELY HOMES, that are just BEGGING to be spruced up, green lawn, sprinklers going, pools in the backyards, trees. There are A LOT of Maryvaler's who take pride in ownership, but like everything else we need more. If you look back at the history of other cities, and neighborhoods throughout the U.S., (San Francisco's Height-Ashbury or Castro district comes to mind), Those area's at one point were getting the "Bad Wrap" that Maryvale is getting now, and look at where those area's are now. Some of the most desired, and expensive, (for those that, that matters to), real estate in the country. I AM NOT saying Maryvale will be another Height-Ashbury/Castro, but with people with an out of the box imagination, the sky's the limit. Maryvale is in need of some TLC, and a pat on the back! It's been the home to a lot of fine, good, upstanding, hardworking people, and deserves to be a vital, beautiful, part of the vibrant city of Phoenix.
OH, and that BEAUTIFUL, "Total Electric Medallion Home", my dad bought for my mom, WELL my sister, Maryvale Class of 1967, STILL lives there, and it's just as BEAUTIFUL as it was the day it was finished.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I HOPE it made you re-think Maryvale, and what it means to those of us who love it!
Greg

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMaryvale View Post
I was born in Maryvale in 1963 when it was new, beautiful, green, and an absolutely PHENOMENAL place to live. My dad bought my mom their 1st, and only new home, watched it being built from ground up, picked the lot, floor plan, and exterior style. It's on the west side of 51st Ave., and just south of Thomas Road. It wasn't a John F. Long home, but a "Total Electric Medallion Home". From 51st Ave., on the East, to 59th Ave., on the West, from Thomas Road on the North, to Encanto Blvd., to the south those are all "Medallion Homes", and they were/are absolutely gorgeous! I was born at the original Maryvale Hospial, small single level, and a sister hospital to that of Glendale Memorial Hospital on Northern, and approx. 63rd Ave. We had the Maryvale Golf Course, the Maryvale Mall, Parks, Pools, Drive In's, BEAUTIFUL Brand New MARYVALE HIGH SCHOOL. My sister was the 1st class to start as a Freshman in the fall or 1963, and finish out in 1967 as a graduating Senior. We had a Lucky store on 43rd., Ave., and Thomas, Macayos on 51st and Indian School, a DurWeinersnichell on 59th Ave., and Indian School, (I remember it was an A-Frame building you drove into). The area was SO Beautiful.
Maryvale I TRULY believe has been given a BAD WRAP over the last few decades. I'm not discounting the area is older now, BUT I think there is a lot of "Gossip" throughout the Phx., Valley about how BAD Maryvale is, when those who are making A LOT of the comments have NEVER lived in Maryvale, actually BEEN to Maryvale, and don't know anyone who lives / lived in Maryvale. They seem to simply be repeating what they've heard, or read. Maryvale, like ANY OTHER area, or neighborhoods in Phx., Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, etc., etc., has is good, and it's bad. Nice neighborhood, and not so nice neighborhoods. It's no different from, better, OR WORSE than any other part of the Phoenix Metro Valley. Maryvale had 2 major hurtles to overcome in the last 25 years. 1st was cute, adorable, small, to medium sized homes that weren't as "fancy", and consequently weren't as costly as other homes in the surrounding area's, SO as Phx., expanded, people being people always wanting something better, more expensive, to impress themselves, and their neighbors, left the Maryvale area for North Phx., Paradise Valley, etc. To each his own, and so goes life, but don't bash Maryvale once you've left it. It's done nothing wrong. The home are still there, they're still cute, and adorable, some are actually very stately, and large. There are large, beautiful home in Maryvale if you look for them. The homes around the Golf Course for example are fine, stately homes. I've read blogs, and posting on the internet calling Maryvale a BLIGHTED area, and should be torn down; that it was a BAD IDEA. I'm not sure who wrote that, but THIS is the kind of "gossip" I'm talking about. IF the writer, and those who agree with that writer, feel as if Maryvale is BLIGHTED, again, PUT THE BLAME where it squarely belongs, which is on the people who abandoned it, NOT on Maryvale, it's still the same as it's always been. The 2nd hurtle Maryvale had to overcome was that REDICULOUS cancer scare back in the '80's. Not only was nothing EVER proven, BUT it was later found to be FALSE. LOOK IT UP. When that hit Maryvale, there was what one reporter called "White Flight", and EVERYONE freaked out, and left. Again, put the blame where it belongs. FACTS are an AMAZING THING!
SO with those 2 hurtles in the rearview mirror, why is there still so much gossip about how BAD Maryvale is? Because that's the way people are. I guess it makes them feel better, I don't know, I don't think I want to, but I do know it breaks my heart to hear it, because when I drive through Maryvale, I STILL SEE those CUTE, ADORABLE, and YES EVEN LARGE STATELY HOMES, that are just BEGGING to be spruced up, green lawn, sprinklers going, pools in the backyards, trees. There are A LOT of Maryvaler's who take pride in ownership, but like everything else we need more. If you look back at the history of other cities, and neighborhoods throughout the U.S., (San Francisco's Height-Ashbury or Castro district comes to mind), Those area's at one point were getting the "Bad Wrap" that Maryvale is getting now, and look at where those area's are now. Some of the most desired, and expensive, (for those that, that matters to), real estate in the country. I AM NOT saying Maryvale will be another Height-Ashbury/Castro, but with people with an out of the box imagination, the sky's the limit. Maryvale is in need of some TLC, and a pat on the back! It's been the home to a lot of fine, good, upstanding, hardworking people, and deserves to be a vital, beautiful, part of the vibrant city of Phoenix.
OH, and that BEAUTIFUL, "Total Electric Medallion Home", my dad bought for my mom, WELL my sister, Maryvale Class of 1967, STILL lives there, and it's just as BEAUTIFUL as it was the day it was finished.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I HOPE it made you re-think Maryvale, and what it means to those of us who love it!
Greg
Once Maryvale was as you described it. But it has changed. There are some houses that have been kept up but there are many that have not.

Something I have noticed is the definition of what is Maryvale has changed. We moved into the area near 35th Ave & Thomas when I was a kid. None of us considered that to be Maryvale back then. Yet it seems to be nowadays. So Maryvale is getting a bad rap from neighborhoods that weren't Maryvale.

As to the cancer thing. I really don't know that much about it. But my late father's house received another one of those newsletters showing the chemical contamination plumes. They all seemed to originate from 35th & Indian School area. There were 3 or 4 distinct plumes. They were talking about a class action suit. I tossed it as I don't plan on signing up but the chemical contamination concern isn't gone. No matter what the facts of the case are.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:35 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Started house hunting in 2008, and we decided to check out a foreclosure in Maryvale. This place was HUGE. We could've got the place for a song but we felt that it would cost too much to get move in ready.

But......there was no way we could get a mortgage on it as all of the appliances & cabinets had been ripped out.

Still had one toilet left though.....

Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Something I have noticed is the definition of what is Maryvale has changed. We moved into the area near 35th Ave & Thomas when I was a kid. None of us considered that to be Maryvale back then. Yet it seems to be nowadays. So Maryvale is getting a bad rap from neighborhoods that weren't Maryvale.
We can disagree on what is or isn't something like "Deer Valley" or "midtown" but Maryvale should have a precise definition. It was a John F. Long housing development. Having said that, I have no idea what that definition was/is.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We can disagree on what is or isn't something like "Deer Valley" or "midtown" but Maryvale should have a precise definition. It was a John F. Long housing development. Having said that, I have no idea what that definition was/is.
And once again, Google is our friend. Thomas, Camelback, 43rd and 67th Aves. form the original boundaries. Maryvale Golf Course - William Godfrey - Google Books Really interesting article.

The "Maryvale" urban village designation from the City is much larger than that. To me, when I think Maryvale, I'm thinking of the area pretty much in those original boundaries. May be a function of how long I've lived here.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMaryvale View Post
If you look back at the history of other cities, and neighborhoods throughout the U.S., (San Francisco's Height-Ashbury or Castro district comes to mind), Those area's at one point were getting the "Bad Wrap" that Maryvale is getting now, and look at where those area's are now. Some of the most desired, and expensive, (for those that, that matters to), real estate in the country. I AM NOT saying Maryvale will be another Height-Ashbury/Castro, but with people with an out of the box imagination, the sky's the limit. Maryvale is in need of some TLC, and a pat on the back!
The reason that Maryvale will never be anything like those places is the quality of the homes themselves. Here is a couple of shots of homes in the Haight:

These are well built, historically interesting structures that have survived earthquakes. Unfortunately when John F. Long built affordable homes, he accomplished it by cheap construction and uninteresting architecture. I can't imagine them being part of any sort of urban renaissance.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
They are what they are, yes, small slump block homes with very basic design. Not the sort of thing that lends itself to extensive updating/modernizing. Other parts of what is now called Maryvale may be somewhat different, but it's not going to be high on the list of Phoenix neighborhood to have some sort of rebirth.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
They are what they are, yes, small slump block homes with very basic design. Not the sort of thing that lends itself to extensive updating/modernizing. Other parts of what is now called Maryvale may be somewhat different, but it's not going to be high on the list of Phoenix neighborhood to have some sort of rebirth.
Slump block was a popular decorative block that you paid a premium for and was typically used on the front face of a home. I think the typical Maryvale home was plain concrete block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area