Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Maryvale has the highest violent crime rate and second highest property crime rate in Phoenix. Statistics for Reported Crimes - Precinct

A child was found murdered and dumped in an alley in Maryvale earlier this week. Phoenix police hold meeting after boy's death
Odd. When children are killed in middleclass/wealthy neighborhoods it is never a reason not to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Odd. When children are killed in middleclass/wealthy neighborhoods it is never a reason not to go there.
Why is it odd? You have no comment about the city of Phoenix crime stats showing Maryvale has the highest violent and second highest property crime rates in the city?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
The child's father was shot in his home in south Phoenix. I suspect that the child was taken there, killed who knows where, and dumped where he was found.

There are people who have lived in Maryvale a long time and been safe, so long as they are careful and use common sense (which is a good idea anywhere). Anyone who moves there just needs to know all they can about the quality of life in the area and make their choice.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Here are 2 sites regarding Maryvale that may be of interest:

Maryvale, Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maryvale, Phoenix Reviews & Ratings | RentWiki.com

Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Why is it odd? You have no comment about the city of Phoenix crime stats showing Maryvale has the highest violent and second highest property crime rates in the city?
Certain spots for sure. According to an interactive map posted in another thread (that I wish I could find) most of Maryvale is "low crime" as is most of Phoenix. But areas along Camelback and Indian School were marked "high crime". Maryvale entire is much too large to simply generalize.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Some people generalize too much about the west valley.

They hear about the bad spots like Maryvale and assume that all of the westside is a crime-infested dump.

There are many beautiful newer suburban areas that exist just to the west of Maryvale.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM

29 posts, read 66,018 times
I know someone in the police department who recently took a new job in Maryvale because he wanted more action. Maryvale has had a bad reputation for many years now. Although the crime rate is lower than it was a year or two ago, the crime rate is still very high.

But that's all I know! I've never lived there. I found a great 1960's house for $37,000 that I considered buying, but friends and family members talked me out of it. I'm going to pay more for the right location further east.

Interestingly, Forbes ranks Glendale as the 10th safest city in the U.S. for 2011, and Glendale is very close to Maryvale.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviajane View Post
I know someone in the police department who recently took a new job in Maryvale because he wanted more action. Maryvale has had a bad reputation for many years now. Although the crime rate is lower than it was a year or two ago, the crime rate is still very high.

But that's all I know! I've never lived there. I found a great 1960's house for $37,000 that I considered buying, but friends and family members talked me out of it. I'm going to pay more for the right location further east.

Interestingly, Forbes ranks Glendale as the 10th safest city in the U.S. for 2011, and Glendale is very close to Maryvale.
$37,000 is WAY too low for a house in this day & age. That sounds like the average price for a decent house in the mid to late 1970s! I think you made the right choice by listening to your family & friends. Cheap home prices are not worth it when you have to reside around cheap people in a cheap neighborhood. As I said before, a home is an investment ... and it's always better to pay more for a well constructed residence in a more desirable area. Your value will appreciate much more, and you will feel safer & happier overall.

Glendale is a completely separate city. Maryvale is just a section of Phoenix. Besides, a good chunk of Glendale (especially the northern part) is very safe and contains top quality developments. It's south Glendale (downtown on southward) that you want to avoid.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
Also, the very western edge of what is known as Maryvale--the Loop 101 and Thomas Rd--seems to be a pretty decent area. I wouldn't want to live much east of there, though.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,850 times
I live in Maryvale & have for the past 40 years. The place has gone down hill fast! Yes there is drugs, gangs & every kind of fecal matter possible. Also that goes for the maryvale police department too. Crooked cop's their there too. If you don't have to live in Maryvale I suggest you don't if you don't want to live with the scum As I write this I myself have gotten the hell out of Maryvale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area