Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM

294 posts, read 989,104 times

Advertisements

hello,

can some one please recommend a resource where i can look up the square footage of a particular home in Phoenix? i have a feeling the builder is overstating the actual size.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
try the county assessor's site....

may have to try a couple times to get what you want, but it'll go.....also, try identical homes in the very same 'hood if the same floor plan exists (if the same model was built around the subdivision) to see if things compare correctly

Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
try the county assessor's site....

may have to try a couple times to get what you want, but it'll go.....also, try identical homes in the very same 'hood if the same floor plan exists (if the same model was built around the subdivision) to see if things compare correctly

thanks for that info, its a new home under construction and the sq footage is not showing up when i enter the parcel#..

the reason why i am investigating in the first place is because there is a 300 sq ft variance (about 10% of total area) from what is in my marketing material vs listings for similar model in the same neighborhood. when i brough this to the attention of the builder they said the realtor for those homes is using outdated info.

i just want to ensure i am not paying for extra square footage. or at the very least i want to renegotiate my price downward.

any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

i would hope that builders are not trying to take advantage of unsuspecting buyers in desperate times by overstating sq footage in their marketing material to make an easier sale.

where would the builder have resgiterd the property to get a permit??

Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
this is an important issue, I think....

I assume this is a regular tract subdivision by a major builder with a few models all the same scattered around, right?

if the same builder has the very, very same model/plan in another development or a few streets over already completed, check those houses at the assessor site.....I think the assessor considers all livable square footage that is air-conditioned.....

"the realtor is using outdated info" is not a good explanation.....pursue this and get true confirmation of the livable square footage ....it's important....ask your realtor for "updated" info....you could also make the sale "pending sq. ft. confirmation" if possible

Old 03-20-2009, 01:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
thanks for that info, its a new home under construction and the sq footage is not showing up when i enter the parcel#..
Did you click on the link Characteristics under Additional Component Information (for this parcel)? You have to go to that second page to see the square footage.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Did you click on the link Characteristics under Additional Component Information (for this parcel)? You have to go to that second page to see the square footage.
yes, i tried this. it does not reurn anything because it is undeveloped land (currently under construction)

Old 03-20-2009, 04:10 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
If it's a newly constructed home it won't show up in the county tax records, however the permit info might show up under recorded documents on ICRIS. I live in Yavapai county and I'm sure each county's website is a little different.

I have noticed that a builder may often build a "variation" of a single floorplan, some a little larger and some a little smaller. About the only way to get a definitive answer on the square feet is to have an appraiser measure it. Sometimes they will do this for as little as $100. Measurements for appraisal purposes are really quite involved, and even then you can have 3 appraisers measure the house and possibly have 3 different figures on the sq ft. (I found this out the hard way when I represented buyers on the purchase of a home and the sq ft was disputed. We ended up with 4 different results - the county showed one figure (which usually comes off the builder's plans), and each of the 3 appraisers had a different figure. In the end, the county was wrong, and one of the appraisers was way off. The two competent appraisers were within 50 sf of each other.

The best way to determine value is with comps. $/sf is just one of the tools to determine value. Upgrades, location, premium lot, etc, have much to do with the value of the home and can change the $/sf figure dramatically.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
Why not measure the outside dimensions of the house and subtract anything that isn't liveable like the garage.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
If you are getting a mortage, the home will need to be appraised. Make sure you let it be known that you want an accurate measurement of the home and want a copy of the appraisal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: