Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's not mountainous at all. As far as hotels halfway through, I'd look at the map, and then check websites for Holiday Inn Express, Hampton, Comfort Inns, etc., I think you'll find something where you need it. Phoenix to Dallas (or vice versa) in one day? I'd say no. I assume that's why you asked about hotels.
If you live on the east side and you opt for I-40 I'd use AZ 87 through Payson and then AZ 260-AZ 377 to Holbrook. Coming back to PHX from OK it saves about an hour, maybe a gallon of gas, and avoids the mess of I-17 near Anthem. I use that route every year during the holidays. Going back we always go through Tucson in order to stock up on carne seca and green corn tamales. If the weather is bad (snow) I'd take I-10/I-20. If you take I-40 you'll probably have to use US-287 which is under construction in spots between Amarillo and Wichita Falls, or at least was in November, but at least IS 70 mph where able, except in the small towns. You save at least two-three hours and 100 miles on the southern route. That and it's largely flatlander driving. In November we left Scottsdale at 8:30 AM and made it to our home here in Oklahoma at 1:30 AM... 16 hours with the one-hour timezone shift, and about the same drive to Dallas; we also stopped an hour in Tucson. (Route isn't all interstate through Roswell and Clovis, NM.) This time of year you lose two hours going to TX, though. I don't recommend it solo, at night the deer are a real concern in West Texas.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 03-28-2011 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 03:11 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkpanther View Post
I-10 IS BEGINNING TO SEEM SWELL! however, are there any 3-4 star hotels halfway through.AND, could someone really make the entire trip in one day? seriously. and PLEASE tell me there are less mountain ranges to drive up and down and through than going to flagstaff...PLEASE?
Lol, lol, 3-4 star hotels, you are dreaming !! Best way is I-10 and then I-20. Besides Las Cruces and El Paso not much choice in hotels. I would not do the trip in one day, but that's me. We did the trip many times from Phoenix to Houston and the contrary. Slept in Fort Stockton but really cannot recommend any motel there, they are all bad. Slept in La Quinta in Las Cruces and it was ok. You probably can find a 3-4 star in Las Cruces but not along I-10. More choice in El-Paso.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkpanther View Post
I-10 IS BEGINNING TO SEEM SWELL! however, are there any 3-4 star hotels halfway through.AND, could someone really make the entire trip in one day? seriously. and PLEASE tell me there are less mountain ranges to drive up and down and through than going to flagstaff...PLEASE?
I take I-10 to I-20 up into Dallas and do it in two days. I have yet to find an upscale hotel to stay in around the midway point or even a little beyond. (I have not checked much beyond the highway.)

As Observer said, there are no mountain roads via that route.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM

16 posts, read 49,461 times
I-10 in the winter for it's aweful hot in the summer. Scenery is godaweful as well. Also it's farther.
1-40 to Amarillo then south east on TX 287 right down to Denton and the Metroplex. It's cooler, shorter and definitely more scenic. Watch out for prarie fires in the Summer but otherwise you're basiclly following the Red River all the way from Childress. Done it a million times and always love that drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area