Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Phoenix: racism, employment, housing market, business district, work location, violent things

Old 04-07-2007, 03:06 PM

14 posts, read 57,086 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a 30 year old single mother of one who currently resides in the busy San Francisco Bay Area. I moved to Bullhead City, AZ in 2002 and lived there 2 years before moving back to CA. Overall, I love the desert and I want to move back to AZ. Just not BHC because for a woman my age there wasn't much to do, employment sucked and there was a lot of racism! That was a real challenge for me and had a negative impact on my son as well.

I actually began researching the Phoenix area back in 2002 before my move, but decided on BHC because I had a friend there. Now I have family that lives in Queen Creek and I want to get away from crazy CA! From what I see the employement & housing markets in the PHX area are great! Just don't know where to start: PHX, MESA, TEMPE, CHANDLER, GLENDALE, SCOTTSDALE, GILBERT HELP!!! Maybe you all can give me some information on which is the best area for a single mother of color to reside. I don't really go out much but I am looking for somewhere that is safe to raise my son, where the people aren't blatantly racist and the housing/employment/schools are good. Is that too much to ask for :-)? I appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by SWEETARIES; 04-07-2007 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 03:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
Your first question should be “I do this kind of work” and where can I find a home near that type of employment? Some jobs are work at home others can be found just down the street in the business district close by. You do not want to drive more then 30 minutes to work each day. The location of your home will depend on where you work and there are many great areas of business throughout the valley. Schools and neighborhoods are important however I have to say that most areas are about the same. So if you can organize or work location + your son’s school = then you can narrow down the where to live part. I don’t believe you should have a problem with race anywhere in the valley however people will be the way they are and there is no accounting for it sometimes.

How old is your son? What they of work will you be doing? And I just remembered that you have family in Queen Creek, that’s important and you should consider that factor in your choice of location.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:41 PM

14 posts, read 57,086 times
Hi AksarbeN,

Thanks for your reply. My son is 9 and my employment background is in Customer Service/Administration. Don't want to do Queen Creek because from what I have heard from friends and family there are obsticles similar to the ones I encountered in BHC...been there and done that! Any neighborhoods i should just flat out avoid due to crime etc.? I remember when I was in BHC there was always stories on the news and in the paper about crazy violent things going on in PHX. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:40 PM

164 posts, read 846,098 times
Default Safe in Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETARIES View Post
Hello All,

I am a 30 year old single mother of one who currently resides in the busy San Francisco Bay Area. I moved to Bullhead City, AZ in 2002 and lived there 2 years before moving back to CA. Overall, I love the desert and I want to move back to AZ. Just not BHC because for a woman my age there wasn't much to do, employment sucked and there was a lot of racism! That was a real challenge for me and had a negative impact on my son as well.

I actually began researching the Phoenix area back in 2002 before my move, but decided on BHC because I had a friend there. Now I have family that lives in Queen Creek and I want to get away from crazy CA! From what I see the employement & housing markets in the PHX area are great! Just don't know where to start: PHX, MESA, TEMPE, CHANDLER, GLENDALE, SCOTTSDALE, GILBERT HELP!!! Maybe you all can give me some information on which is the best area for a single mother of color to reside. I don't really go out much but I am looking for somewhere that is safe to raise my son, where the people aren't blatantly racist and the housing/employment/schools are good. Is that too much to ask for :-)? I appreciate your feedback!
Surprise Az look into and the Dysart school district. Beautiful area all my little cousins live there now. I think you will be happy there, I didnt see any racism going on when I was there. And seen all types of people living there. The homes are very reasonable also. Look into marley Park or more new homes on Reems rd. Also KB further down on 187 ave homes started at 183000 and nice , 2 stories 3 bedroom. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:45 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,660 times
I always recommend Gilbert - if you do a search for Gilbert, you'll see many long and rambling posts from me on the many positive aspects of Gilbert. It's a great place to raise a family - TONS of kids here, people are very nice, good shopping, and houses are reasonably priced.

That said, I agree that you should find out where you'll be working first, then go from there. You wouldn't want to commute from Gilbert to the west valley or north Phoenix every day. But if you happen to work in the east valley, I recommend Gilbert.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area