Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:55 AM
GHF

16 posts, read 43,938 times

Advertisements

These replies are great! We are coming down next week to check it out. It will be a quick trip to see what the various areas look like and see sample real estate offerings. My DH is an industrial electrical supervisor and those jobs seem very rare there. However, with the inexpensive real estate deals we see, it could be possible for him to just be an electrician and do fine. Everyone is warning us about the hot summers, but this summer we had a stretch of 100+ degrees and I loved it. I spent most of it in the hammock. The horses prefer hot weather to rain any day. It would be nice to live near more diversity. It is very white here and my Chinese girls have experienced comments such as, "Asians are hot." The school did nothing about it. We also have no Asian groceries around here and have to drive to Portland or Eugene to stock up. I am anglo, but mostly cook that way and hate not having a good source locally. My kids are open to moving there, especially if they can learn Chinese in school, be near civilization, diversity, and they are really interested in a pool. It sounds like, more than any other place in the country, the Phoenix area could give each of us what we want. The job seems to be the sticky place, not very available. I am studying to become a counselor, so think I will be able to find work fine. Until then, he needs to support us, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deager View Post
Thanks for the info Woody7. We won't be able to visit first unfortunetly, but the area sounds nice to me. We live in a rural area in Mi. so I'm use to a long commute.How are the schools? I notice the two countys, is one better than the other as far as schools? Thanks again
The schools are not the greatest. There is an edu-prize charter school in san tan heights that is good. Most of the good schools are in Gilbert and Chandler.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM

571 posts, read 1,205,672 times
As a buyer, housing deals are amazing. Relatively new, well-built homes for a steal. Very, very safe. I'm in the Queen Creek area that borders with Gilbert. We walk to get pizza, rent movies, nails done. Even though it's a bit far from downtown Phoenix, we take the drive pretty often to enjoy museums and festivals. Great shopping at San Tan Village, which is about a 15 minute drive.

I'm very happy with school choice out here - if you aren't in love with your neighborhood school there are a variety of charter schools to choose from.

The ONLY surprise Queen Creek held for us is the large LDS population. They make for great neighbors - kind, considerate, very family oriented. That being said, they are a bit exclusionary, so your kids simply aren't going to be invited to birthday parties and your neighbors likely aren't going to get friendlier than the occasional hello.

Every area has its pros and cons - it's a matter of what's most important to you.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 AM

211 posts, read 545,698 times
im heading back to AZ to also look at homes in QC . I also want to see how distant the drive is from Scottsdale and the malls there. Many on here are saying its a good drive, but that depends what you call a long drive to some people. Especially where in AZ you dont have Tolls to slow u down

Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,579,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
im heading back to AZ to also look at homes in QC . I also want to see how distant the drive is from Scottsdale and the malls there. Many on here are saying its a good drive, but that depends what you call a long drive to some people. Especially where in AZ you dont have Tolls to slow u down
Mapquest says 35 miles, about 45 minutes, from QC (I didn't plug in a QC address, so it could be slightly more or less depending on your starting point) to Fashion Square, the only "mall" in Scottsdale. With traffic involved, it would take longer. Mileage to the other large shopping areas would be more. If I planned on a lot of shopping trips, it would be too far for me, but YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area