Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,071 times

Advertisements

I graduate in May and am contemplating moving to the Phoenix area the end of the summer due to the job market in Iowa being nil for my field. I would be working at one of the hospitals, but not sure which one yet.

My question is, and I know it's been asked a hundred times but nothing seemed to jump out and feel like it answered my particular side of the questions. For a single female, where are the safer places to live that are still affordable. I'm assuming that I'll be working in Phoenix itself and not one of the surrounding areas, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any information

Ang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
That is a really broad question. What's "affordable" for you? If you share a house or apt, you can afford something more than you could on your own. If you have transportation, you will be able to be a bit more flexible about where you live vs where you work.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:18 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,575,429 times
No matter what city you are moving to, America is less safe than it was before you or I was born. I was born in 1959 so that goes a long way!

Rule of thumb: Most crimes occur after dark. Most drunk driving accidents happen around closing time of the bars. Even when I was in my early 20s I chose to avoid staying out late.

In Phoenix two or three years ago the serial shooters and baseline rapists were terrorizing the areas. They struck usually at night.

The Baseline rapist got his nickname because most of his crimes were along the Baseline corridor (Baseline Road, which goes east/west in front of South Mountain). The Serial Shooters did some of their crimes in the neighborhood where I worked. One of the guys who worked late walked to/from work. He said he would walk in zig zag patterns to deter being a target!

By the way, the Baseline rapist suspect and the serial shooters are in prison now. Relax.

Meth addicts are suspected of being all over the Phoenix area. I would say the older trashy parts.

For safe places I would expect Peoria, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, areas near Desert Ridge. Not necessarily Ahwatuikee, which is the southeast part of the city where I live. It's too near I-10 and the getaway to Tucson. Lots of illegal aliens and crimes between illegal aliens.

I suggest finding an apartment complex in a gated community. Gates deter criminals. Given a gated community next to a non-gated one, the criminal would first prey on the non-gated one. I also suggest you google the name of the apartment complex and then add the words "ratings reviews." You have to scrutinize the stats on apartments. I usually reject 100% ratings when only one or two people rate the complex.

I know a lot aboutfinding safe areas because I move around a lot. I like places that are also very quiet. My career is important and I need a good night's sleep.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Howard,

Thanks for the information. I know I have some time and I'm still researching the area and looking to see what jobs are available. I'm a night owl but not necessarly a party person, so looking for a place that is fairly quiet at night works best for me I think.

I had been thinking about the gated communities over non-gated simply for the security aspect. But having never been to Arizona I'm still somewhat at a loss for even knowing what areas in the different suburbs are better than others.

I don't mind driving a little, I currently have a 30 mile commute to my job and school now. So driving doesn't bother me, I actually enjoy it as the 20 thousand + miles on my car last year can attest to.

I think I have a lot more research to do and a tript to make to "scout" out areas is in my future.

Ang

Old 03-28-2009, 04:06 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,738,287 times
I would suggest you look at Tempe, preferably between I-10 and the 101 from Elliot south to Ray Rd. Very nice communities in there with condos and apartment availability. Tempe is a nice city with a lot of things to do because of ASU. Come visit and see for yourself. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM

235 posts, read 756,830 times
Why Phoenix?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 PM

Uhuh -- Phoenix has a larger concentration of jobs in my field. Kingman does as well and I've been looking there, but feeling a draw towards the Phoenix area for some reason.

goolsbyjazz -- thanks for the information I appreciate it. I'm planning on visiting early this summer to kind of get my bearings and see where I want to be at.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 AM

307 posts, read 954,980 times
Smile Friend from Kansas City

I have a friend that is from Kansas City, moved here about 2 years ago. She is a nurse working at the Mayo clinic and enjoys living in Scottsdale. She bought the townhouse in Scottsdale; however, she couldn't sell the house in the KC area...

She ended up having to lease the KC home out after more than 12 months on the market.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
The reason you are not getting a satisfactory answer is because no one can answer it. It's not possible to answer that. I'm saying this for your benefit because I made the same mistake you did. I asked people for what was safe because I wanted to have my place secured before I moved here. I made a mistake doing that. You need to spend a day or two here just driving around and seeing the area. You will figure out pretty quickly as to what you will feel safe with. It might seem like a lot of money to fly or drive here and spend a day in a hotel but that's small change considering you could be stuck in a really bad apartment or area because of what people told you.

In general, there is no such thing as safe AND affordable. In large cities like Phoenix, you pay a price to be safe. The nicer the apartment and location, the higher the rent. I wouldn't try to save money on rent because an extra $100 a month can go a long way toward your happiness. In addition, the apartments offer deals like 2 months off if you sign a long term lease etc.

The suburbs in Phoenix all blend into one another so that you will unlikely realize when you are in parts of Tempe, Scottsdale or Glendale. For a safe bet, live in Scottsdale but don't go north of Camelback if you want to live in a young trendy area that is fairly close to downtown and Tempe. North Scottsdale is nice but it's too far north for what you are seeking.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,730,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reason you are not getting a satisfactory answer is because no one can answer it. It's not possible to answer that. I'm saying this for your benefit because I made the same mistake you did. I asked people for what was safe because I wanted to have my place secured before I moved here. I made a mistake doing that. You need to spend a day or two here just driving around and seeing the area.
Hey OP. The above statement is sound advise. Before I moved to PHX I had kind of already heard of some of the burbs but being 2,000 miles away I knew nothing about them except for online reports. I had a idea where I wanted to search for an apartment but its different being on the ground.

I flew out there for a job interview and instead of coming back the same day I spent one day just checking out the places I had researched online. Staying that one day helped b/c it allowed me to drive in traffic from the place that I ended up working to my place in Chandler. I got to check out the area and get a feel for things while signing a lease at the apt complex I had researched prior to my arrival. I got to compare it to the other two apts that were in my top 3.

So I would suggest that you continue to do your online research and have couple of areas and apt complexes in mind before you come out for a interview. You'll make a whole lot of progress if you do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area