Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,207,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
SF area does not like kids. If you decide to breed there, its not recommended you move there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What makes you say that?
I am surmising the exorbitant cost of living in at least the more pleasant parts of the SF Bay Area.

If I had a family: most of California would be off my list as well-----------that state is not the 'California Dreamin' place of my youth anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 PM

482 posts, read 1,374,613 times
There are positives and negatives to both places. I moved to Phoenix from the Bay area, and it took a long time to get used to it. North Beach to The Olive Garden at MetroCenter is a big change. It grows on you. It would be a lot easier to have a quality lifestyle for a family in Phoenix.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM

382 posts, read 1,357,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
North Beach to The Olive Garden at MetroCenter is a big change. It grows on you.
Just don't eat anything with their red sauce and you'll get pretty decent food.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times
How do people not find anything to do here? My problem is I never have enough time to do all the things that are here. There are lakes nearby, snow skiing in winter, 4 professional sports teams, ASU football, U of A baketball, great restaurants, hiking, some of the best golf in the world, great shopping, fun night life in Scottsdale, dune bug riding in the desert, Sedona, Rocky Point

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-30-2009 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,423,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As a shoutout to all you Minnesotans or Midwesterners, this is NOT the place to be!

I've been here five plus years! This place will not cater to your desires, unless you live back there for half of the year.

The desert is oh so boring. Of course, I moved here from San Francisco, where there is oh so much to do.

At any rate, beware! This place has NOTHING to do here! At any rate, I wish I could edit my title of this thread to say "DON'T COME HERE!." But I can't without asking the Mods to do so here, and I won't bother them.
I was wondering what exactly Minnesota or the Midwest has to do for fun that can't be done in the Valley of the Sun? Ice Fishing maybe? Also wondering why it is that people seem to retire to places like Arizona but few move from Arizona and retire in Minnesota. I lived in Iowa for a few years and doubt I will retire in that part of the nation. Last I checked that was in the midwest.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,319,877 times
Ladies and gentlemen: the orignal poster of this thread is a blathering whiner, and has been for at least as long as I've been on here. He consistently complains about Phoenix, especially how fast and aggressive the drivers are compared to other parts of the country. Most of his other postings in the Phoenix forum are negative ramblings about how horrible things are here. It really must not be that bad considering he has been living here five years. If I lived in a city that was truly as awful as he claims Phoenix is, I wouldn't have stayed here five years. Maybe it's time that he adheres to the advice of own moniker ... and MOVE ON!

Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ladies and gentlemen: the orignal poster of this thread is a blathering whiner, and has been for at least as long as I've been on here. He consistently complains about Phoenix, especially how fast and aggressive the drivers are compared to other parts of the country. Most of his other postings in the Phoenix forum are negative ramblings about how horrible things are here. It really must not be that bad considering he has been living here five years. If I lived in a city that was truly as awful as he claims Phoenix is, I wouldn't have stayed here five years. Maybe it's time that he adheres to the advice of own moniker ... and MOVE ON!
I can confirm everything Valley Native has stated. Movin On is one of a few individuals on this forum who have an agenda to criticize Phoenix in every capacity. Everything she says is critical of Phoenix to the point that she has no credibility since it's obvious her dislike of Phoenix is deeply psychological. This individual claims she is only here because she is unable to sell her home. However, she has lived here 5 years and has complained about Phoenix for the last 3 years. She had a chance to sell her home 3 years ago when home values were still high but she didn't. The truth is, she doesn't hate this city enough to leave. Actions speak louder than words. If she truly hated this city, she would have left a long time ago. How bad can a city be when it's most passionate critic is still living here.

You will discover that these people who supposedly hate Phoenix so much never leave.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
As a shoutout to all you Minnesotans or Midwesterners, this is NOT the place to be!

I've been here five plus years! This place will not cater to your desires, unless you live back there for half of the year.

The desert is oh so boring. Of course, I moved here from San Francisco, where there is oh so much to do.

At any rate, beware! This place has NOTHING to do here! At any rate, I wish I could edit my title of this thread to say "DON'T COME HERE!." But I can't without asking the Mods to do so here, and I won't bother them.
Ok. So you know you don't belong here. That's Ok. Everybody gotta be somewhere, you gave it 5 years. But let's be fair. That's not necessarily true for others from the Midwest. If it were, the majority of our snowbirds wouldn't come from there.

Interesting statement -- "This place won't cater to your desires..." Huh? I lived in the Midwest. NOWHERE caters to anyone's desires. No matter where you live, you gots ta go get it...

And - how do you know what anyone else wants? I'm from the Midwest. I'm a happy camper in the SouthWest. And the desert is fascinating.

Nothing to do? Nothing in the way of what?
Hiking? Fishing? Hunting? Dancing? Cultural Exploration? Caves? Whitewater rafting? Horseback Riding? Rodeo? Culture and the Arts? Grand Canyon? Train Rides through the Desert? Desert Botanical Gardens? Clubbing? Frank Lloyd Wright Tour? Shopping? Sunset watching?
Whaddya need? Here are a few sites before you pack up and leave.....

http://www.arizonaguide.com/whattodo/Default.aspx
THINGS TO DO IN ARIZONA
Great things to do in Arizona
What to do in Arizona - TripAdvisor
Things to do in Arizona & Attractions . - Yahoo! Travel

As always, it's in the eyes of the beholder. Glass half full or half empty. Your choice.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,207,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Ok. So you know you don't belong here. That's Ok. Everybody gotta be somewhere, you gave it 5 years. But let's be fair. That's not necessarily true for others from the Midwest. If it were, the majority of our snowbirds wouldn't come from there.

Interesting statement -- "This place won't cater to your desires..." Huh? I lived in the Midwest. NOWHERE caters to anyone's desires. No matter where you live, you gots ta go get it...

And - how do you know what anyone else wants? I'm from the Midwest. I'm a happy camper in the SouthWest. And the desert is fascinating.

Nothing to do? Nothing in the way of what?
Hiking? Fishing? Hunting? Dancing? Cultural Exploration? Caves? Whitewater rafting? Horseback Riding? Rodeo? Culture and the Arts? Grand Canyon? Train Rides through the Desert? Desert Botanical Gardens? Clubbing? Frank Lloyd Wright Tour? Shopping? Sunset watching?
Whaddya need? Here are a few sites before you pack up and leave.....

http://www.arizonaguide.com/whattodo/Default.aspx
THINGS TO DO IN ARIZONA
Great things to do in Arizona
What to do in Arizona - TripAdvisor
Things to do in Arizona & Attractions . - Yahoo! Travel

As always, it's in the eyes of the beholder. Glass half full or half empty. Your choice.
And; you post does not need additional 'cow bell', it is very succinct and to the point

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM

587 posts, read 1,423,307 times
I grew up in Minnesota and moved here to Phoenix a little over 10 years ago when I had just turned 24. I will say that this place is obviously not for everyone (no place is!), but I find MANY more things to do here than in the Twin Cities (especially since I'm such a sports fanatic).

The Twin Cities are great, don't get me wrong. But wow, there is so much to do here that MN cannot touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're so very unhappy here, but all Midwesterners do not feel this way.

I do hope you'll find a way to move and find a place you can be happy, as everyone deserves that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area