Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 05:57 PM

263 posts, read 1,079,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
Well....the OP was setting himself up for nasty responses by coming out and bashing someone's else's home town. But at any rate, good for you that you are leaving. I know first hand how horrible it is to be somewhere you don't want to be. I am definitely a Southwestern girl.

For many on this forum, their hometown is not Phoenix. If you want to conclude that one's current location is their hometown, then I should say that this the movin' on fella's hometown is also Phoenix and therfore entitles him to say what he thinks of the place. If you want to say that people who's hometown is not Phoenix, live here, but can't say what they think unless you agree with it, then I'd say that's not very American of you. While the venue he chose is probably not the one he should've chosen(wrong thread for sure), I'd rather him (or anyone on this forum) let it out on the forum then go blow people away in a mall or whatever. At any rate, the moderators moderate the forum, not the forum members, so when someone is out of line simply flag their post and let the mods take car of it as they siee fit sinc ethis is their forum. But, I guess this behavior is to be expcted from a free forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
For many on this forum, their hometown is not Phoenix. If you want to conclude that one's current location is their hometown, then I should say that this the movin' on fella's hometown is also Phoenix and therfore entitles him to say what he thinks of the place. If you want to say that people who's hometown is not Phoenix, live here, but can't say what they think unless you agree with it, then I'd say that's not very American of you. While the venue he chose is probably not the one he should've chosen(wrong thread for sure), I'd rather him (or anyone on this forum) let it out on the forum then go blow people away in a mall or whatever. At any rate, the moderators moderate the forum, not the forum members, so when someone is out of line simply flag their post and let the mods take car of it as they siee fit sinc ethis is their forum. But, I guess this behavior is to be expcted from a free forum.
Points all well taken.

Note that till the Mods lock or delete the thread in question; if a poster comes across as a flagrant Troll------------said poster should expect rough replies.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Points all well taken.

Note that till the Mods lock or delete the thread in question; if a poster comes across as a flagrant Troll------------said poster should expect rough replies.

I agree they should. But one thing to consider is that sometimes people just want to vent and when they're picked on like the nerd at school, then things start to fester and make things worse. It kind of ads fuel to the fire to keep telling someone "go, get gone" methinks. Anyways, it's just my idea. I'm not the law around here obviosuly.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 16,598 times
have you ever heard of nature and exploring it!!!! hmmm moving on may be better i dont live in az i live in utah its very pretty here but i would rather be there trust me!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:
What you want is for her to be able to express her opinion and not be assailed for it. Sorry but that's not very American either. Freedom of speech goes both ways. It doesn't mean that a person can express their views while others can't comment on those views. Even someone saying :"Hey you can't say those things here" Well, that's an opinion too and is perfectly legitimate. If someone is out of line, anyone can respond and express their opinion. They don't have to flag it. She is not the nerd at school. The nerd at school doesn't start fights with the bullies. If we are concerned about threads festering then perhaps the OP should have thought about that before she started this thread or decided not to reply to every response and let it be. I think ArizonaBear's response is perfectly normal given the circumstances. If I posted a similar thread on the SF forum and got bashed, I wouldn't be crying about my first amendment rights.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-17-2009 at 02:01 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I've been reading this thread and I just have to say that I find it HARD to believe that there's nothing to do in Phoenix. If that was the case, people would not move here. Personally, I find it really neat to look outside of your window and see sunny weather most of the year although it can get old.

I have to admit sunny weather is better than having to deal with hurricanes and tornadoes. I have been looking at photos of the Phoenix area and find that it looks nicer than what some people say. It would be great to visit.
It's all about one's attitude. If someone wants to complain and hate a place they can. Likewise, if someone wants to have a good time and enjoy themselves, they can. There is so much to do in Phoenix that I'm firmly convinced that anyone who says there isn't anything to do here are those sitting at home on their couch watching TV or surfing the web. If people actually got out of their house, made friends and made some effort to find restaurants, museums etc, they would realize there is a lot going on here.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What you want is for her to be able to express her opinion and not be assailed for it. Sorry but that's not very American either. Freedom of speech goes both ways. It doesn't mean that a person can express their views while others can't comment on those views. Even someone saying :"Hey you can't say those things here" Well, that's an opinion too and is perfectly legitimate. If someone is out of line, anyone can respond and express their opinion. They don't have to flag it. She is not the nerd at school. The nerd at school doesn't start fights with the bullies. She is no victim and brought this on herself by posting this. If we are concerned about threads festering then perhaps the OP should have thought about that before she started this thread. I think ArizonaBear's response is perfectly normal given the circumstances. If I posted a similar thread on the SF forum and got bashed, I wouldn't be crying about my first amendment rights.

'Even someone saying :"Hey you can't say those things here" Well, that's an opinion too and is perfectly legitimate. "

She??? Well, whatever you think is what you think. I already stated what I think and I don't care to change your mind anymore than I care to change movin' on's mind to suddenly like Phoenix/AZ.

"You have been living in Phoenix for 6 years and have been saying you are going to move out of Phoenix for the last 3 years on this forum. You don't want to leave. If you did, you would have left a long time. I GUARANTEE you are still on this forum TWO YEARS from now saying the same thing. You claim you are not financially stupid, yet you held onto your house and didn't sell in 2006 when you had to still earn a profit. Your man left you before that so don't cite that excuse again; you even stated that fact as far back as October 2006."

You call that freedom of speech? I call that a personal attack on the person that is excersiing their speech. They did it as well, which brings us back to the poitn of the lack of moderation on this forum. It simply doens't exist and from this point I'll take good note of that in voicing my opinions. I guess we'd call the whites rioting black desegregation in the South freedom of speech by that definition, but I see it as taking away someone's rights. Or trying to shut down the recent Tea parties by protesting the protesters. I guess I conisder attackig the person and not what they say as their opnion as oppresive, but heck, I'm just a native Arizonan, so what do I know? I'm not even going to entertain this thread and the moderators that run it anymore. Have your last say and call it a closed case from me.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 AM

122 posts, read 307,732 times
Quote:
'Even someone saying :"Hey you can't say those things here" Well, that's an opinion too and is perfectly legitimate. "

She??? Well, whatever you think is what you think. I already stated what I think and I don't care to change your mind anymore than I care to change movin' on's mind to suddenly like Phoenix/AZ.

"You have been living in Phoenix for 6 years and have been saying you are going to move out of Phoenix for the last 3 years on this forum. You don't want to leave. If you did, you would have left a long time. I GUARANTEE you are still on this forum TWO YEARS from now saying the same thing. You claim you are not financially stupid, yet you held onto your house and didn't sell in 2006 when you had to still earn a profit. Your man left you before that so don't cite that excuse again; you even stated that fact as far back as October 2006."

You call that freedom of speech? I call that a personal attack on the person that is excersiing their speech. They did it as well, which brings us back to the poitn of the lack of moderation on this forum. It simply doens't exist and from this point I'll take good note of that in voicing my opinions. I guess we'd call the whites rioting black desegregation in the South freedom of speech by that definition, but I see it as taking away someone's rights. Or trying to shut down the recent Tea parties by protesting the protesters. I guess I conisder attackig the person and not what they say as their opnion as oppresive, but heck, I'm just a native Arizonan, so what do I know? I'm not even going to entertain this thread and the moderators that run it anymore. Have your last say and call it a closed case from me.

Seems to me that there has always been a fine line between "freedom of speech" and "personal attack" on these forums, Mike.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM

338 posts, read 1,625,894 times
Quote:
Excuse me? "this behavior" is expected? I always conduct myself properly on this forum. Also, not "very American" of me? whatever. That does not make sense. I have every right to express my opinion just as the OP does and is not very American of you to suggest otherwise. I would never report a post like that, it's called "freedom of speech".

I have lived in Arizona for 30 years and yes, this happens to be my home town and I love my home town. I have a right to express MY opinion just as the OP has a right to express his or her opinion about not liking it here. To clarify, I did not say that one could not speak their mind if Phoenix is not their hometown. What I did say was to expect to receive nasty comments when you blatantly bash a location that someone else may hold in high regard, that's all. I certainly would not expect to be welcomed with open arms if I went to another state's board and starting bashing that state.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,457,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Points all well taken.

Look at my post count. Clearly I am NOT a flagrant toll. Go back and look at my history. I have posted many numerous posts/threads in other fora. You insult me. And you are SO defensive Bear, that you really make me wonder just what is going on with YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area