Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,539,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmn View Post
I'm from Minnesota and am moving to Phoenix next month. Visited last month and absolutely fell in love with the city, no thanks to this thread
Good for you! Hope your move goes smoothly, and keep in touch with questions, etc., once you get here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:32 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,348,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
It seems like every cities section here on city data has at least one person who just frequents the forum to talk about how they don't like the city, and to brag that they are either trying to leave, or they are leaving. And then want to rub it in about how much better the place they are going to is, or the place they came from is compared to the city they are trashing.

I'm not sure what they are expecting to gain, do they think all of the residents of a city are going to say "you know your right and because of what you said we now hate it here to", or "now that you say all these things we are going to move". Of course that isn't going to happen, all it does is create arguments and apples & oranges discussions.

I notice that most of the people who constantly complain about Phoenix have made their point ages ago, and are simply just beating a dead horse. So you don't like Phoenix? We heard you already, and if another city is more your cup of tea then enjoy yourself. Quite frankly though people are so tired of hearing everyday about how Phoenix is such a horrible place to live and that this or that place is so much better. Enough already.
I agree, it's not the negative opinions that are troubling but rather the incessant repetition of those criticisms. At some point, it's no longer about sharing a different opinion but rather a selfish need to vent. Those who constantly criticize Phoenix are being disingenuous when they say they are just sharing a different opinion because it's obvious their intent goes beyond that.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
I lived in Phx for 4 years, left & moved back to CO where I lived before moving to Phoenix (and much prefer). .............was the utter lack of anything resembling a downtown or any kind of emotional "epicenter" for a city its size
Colorado doesn't have much of an urban presence or an "epicenter" either. I wouldn't really cite downtown Denver as having an urban presence. Most of the people I know in Colorado prefer Boulder for night life which is 45 minutes away. If I'm complaining about the lack of an urban presence in Phoenix, Denver is the last place I would move to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeR View Post
the Phoenix heat from end of April till end of October gets on some people's nerves.
The average start of triple digit heat occurs on May 16th. It's the end of April now and it's beautiful. Sure, we had day of bad heat but other than that the forecast has been great. The heat doesn't always extend until the end of October. It varies depending on the year. I've seen the heat end as early as late September and as late as mid November. Generally, the heat disipates by mid October. I understand the heat is bad but it's not 6-7 months of heat like many people tend to embellish

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-25-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 12:08 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,019,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree, it's not the negative opinions that are troubling but rather the incessant repetition of those criticisms. At some point, it's no longer about sharing a different opinion but rather a selfish need to vent. Those who constantly criticize Phoenix are being disingenuous when they say they are just sharing a different opinion because it's obvious their intent goes beyond that.

Just an opinion, but I believe that giving criticism of a place repeatedly is necessary in that the same questions about places seemed to be asked ad nauseum on this and other boards.

There are many reasons for posting on these boards:

Boredom; a need to share facts; validation of a poor decision to move somewhere that's now regretted, by getting others to move to said place (misery loves company); pecuniary rationale on the part of real estate agents, developers.

Whatever the reasons behind the posts, they're all here to contemplate.

Or not.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Just an opinion, but I believe that giving criticism of a place repeatedly is necessary in that the same questions about places seemed to be asked ad nauseum on this and other boards.

There are many reasons for posting on these boards:

Boredom; a need to share facts; validation of a poor decision to move somewhere that's now regretted, by getting others to move to said place (misery loves company); pecuniary rationale on the part of real estate agents, developers.

Whatever the reasons behind the posts, they're all here to contemplate.

Or not.
Many of the threads that contain criticisms are not asking for them. They are from people who have made up their mind and are asking about houses, schools etc and then someone volunteers a criticism. That's different that posts that specifically ask for generalized opinions or request positive and negative views. I just don't see how that's productive considering the person has made up their mind to move here and is seeking advice and then someone hijacks the thread because they want to vent.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Perhaps the info is volunteered because the original questioneer has such a lack of basic knowledge of said area.

Anyway, just 2-cents worth.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the info is volunteered because the original questioneer has such a lack of basic knowledge of said area.

Anyway, just 2-cents worth.
How do you know the person lacks a basic knowledge of said area? That is just an assumption. Maybe they already read several posts or visited the area and wants to concentrate on the things they deem necessary before moving here. Shouldn't we give them the benefit of the doubt and provide answers to the questions they are seeking

Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Some of the questions asked on these boards are indicative of zero knowledge.

That's a national trait. Remember: "Rain Follows The Plow."

Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Some of the questions asked on these boards are indicative of zero knowledge.
Again, how do you know that? And even if they do have zero knowledge, maybe they want their particular thread to focus on certain aspects so that they can get the most information as possible regarding their particular query.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:32 PM

But ignorance has a way of showcasing itself:

Asking if there are "bugs" in the coastal SE, for example.

Speaking of ignorance, on my part, could you point me to some info, or first-hand experience with, dryland termites such as those found in the Sonoran Desert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area