Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
But ignorance has a way of showcasing itself:

Asking if there are "bugs" in the coastal SE, for example.

Speaking of ignorance, on my part, could you point me to some info, or first-hand experience with, dryland termites such as those found in the Sonoran Desert?
Just because someone doesn't know something about a particular aspect, you can't assume they are ignorant about other aspects as well. Even people who have lived here for years would claim they are probably ignorant about some things. Speaking of which, I know little about dryland termites and you might want to start a thread asking about it because there are people who would know more about that than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,016,407 times
But if that "aspect" is basic to the area.

What would you think of a new arrival to the Phoenix metro who asked, in innocent wonder, "When does it snow? I'm anxious to tryout my new Ahrens snowblower."

Old 04-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
But if that "aspect" is basic to the area.

What would you think of a new arrival to the Phoenix metro who asked, in innocent wonder, "When does it snow? I'm anxious to tryout my new Ahrens snowblower."
Maybe you receive those types of questions on the other forums but in the Phoenix forum, most of our questions center on basic issues like housing, heat and schools. I don't recall many questions inquiring about snowfall in Phoenix.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 PM

All too frequently......

Anyway, thank's for the suggestion re: thread on dryland termites.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
All too frequently......

Anyway, thank's for the suggestion re: thread on dryland termites.
Again, even if someone is ignorant of an area but if that person is seeking information on a particular topic, why volunteer negative info? For example, if I'm interested in vacation homes in San Diego and I start a thread asking people to provide examples of home prices and areas, I'm really not interested in hearing about what a ripoff SD homes are because I'm already aware their homes are expensive. In that case, I would just want to know about properties and prices.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Don't volunteer negative info.

Volunteer factual info, so the person understands what they're getting into.

My advice.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 PM

228 posts, read 595,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Colorado doesn't have much of an urban presence or an "epicenter" either. I wouldn't really cite downtown Denver as having an urban presence. Most of the people I know in Colorado prefer Boulder for night life which is 45 minutes away. If I'm complaining about the lack of an urban presence in Phoenix, Denver is the last place I would move to.
Huh??? You wouldn't cite downtown Denver as having an urban presence? When was the last time you were there? Mid 90's? Downtown Denver's been experiencing a renaissance and growth boom from the late 90's up until now, and it's gotten really quite vibrant and interesting there. Boulder's a college town with a college town type of nightlife. It's sort of interesting in the way that a place like Ann Arbor is, but limited. I mean, it's OK for what it is, but I would never purposely drive there to socialize in preference to downtown Denver and don't know anyone my age who would. Denver has a very nice, true urban young arts & professionals scene. If you haven't lived there, I would recommend experiencing it yourself before making such statements, you're way off base there.

From the point of view from someone who's lived both places (and recently), downtown Denver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> downtown Phoenix. I mean, NO comparison. Now again, I'm not here to bash Phoenix. I'm just saying that it depends on what someone needs or wants in a city, and offering my point of view. Now, is downtown Denver as diverse or urban as a place like Chicago or New York? No. On the other hand, if you're looking for a city lifestyle with better weather than the east coast, and you want "outdoor" things to do nearby, well, for my money Denver offers a better overall combination than Phoenix does. I like living out west, and I enjoy outdoor activities, but I like the city life in some respects, too. From that standpoint, no way is Denver the "last" place I'd ever consider nor should someone with similar tastes consider. It's a very nice smaller big city.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
Huh??? You wouldn't cite downtown Denver as having an urban presence? .
And neither would most people outside of Denver! I was there in March and no I wasn't impressed. The only people I've ever heard discuss downtown Denver as being anything close to a real downtown are people from there. Having an urban renaissance doesn't mean your downtown is currently impressive. I could argue we are experiencing an urban renaissance due to ASU relocating many of its' graduate schools and the large numbers of condos, lofts and apartments that have been completed or are close to being completed but that doesn't mean our downtown is currently nice. Like I said, I can understand someone not liking Arizona for not having an urban presence but someone from Denver saying that is laughable. I'm sorry but I can think of so many other cities with better downtowns. Denver might have a better downtown than Phoenix but that's saying nothing.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-25-2009 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Don't volunteer negative info.

Volunteer factual info, so the person understands what they're getting into.

My advice.
Unfortunately there is a fine line between factual and subjective information when evaluating a city. It's not so easy to simply say "volunteer factual info"

Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM

228 posts, read 595,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And neither would most people outside of Denver! I was there in March and no I wasn't impressed. The only people I've ever heard discuss downtown Denver as being anything close to a real downtown are people from there. Having an urban renaissance doesn't mean your downtown is currently impressive. I could argue we are experiencing an urban renaissance due to ASU relocating many of its' graduate schools and the large numbers of condos, lofts and apartments that have been completed or are close to being completed but that doesn't mean our downtown is currently nice. Like I said, I can understand someone not liking Arizona for not having an urban presence but someone from Denver saying that is laughable. I'm sorry but I can think of so many other cities with better downtowns. Denver might have a better downtown than Phoenix but that's saying nothing.
Really? Like Chicago or New York? D.C.? Those are much larger cities. For its size, Denver has a great downtown. You may not feel that way, and you're entitled to your own opinion; but I'm not comparing Denver to those places, and I wouldn't want to live in a huge east coast city. Like I said, I like the balance of the city life and the outdoors, I like having mountains nearby and I like living out west. If that's your cup of tea, it's damn hard to beat Denver. I don't need a huge city; just a city, and one that feels like one, feels like a true community with a real identity and an epicenter. Where I can walk out my door, walk to things, know that I'm definitely downtown someplace. I recall the first time I was in downtown Phoenix, and I actually had to ask someone if we were downtown. Yes, it's really that bad. All it really ever looked like to me was a few tall office buildings, an arena and a baseball stadium. Oh yeah, and an outdoor mall. Whoopee.

I must say, though, if I'm impressed by Denver's downtown and according to you it's so unimpressive, and I think Phoenix's is that bad by comparison, then by extension what does that say for Phoenix? Obviously not much.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, if you'll notice I did point out that there are good things about Phoenix, and it just depends on the person and what your preferences are. If you hate winter cold and snow and you like suburban living, well then, you'll probably love Phoenix. If not, you probably won't. It's really that simple. Now why if you're a young, single, professional person you'd ever deliberately choose to live in a suburb is beyond me; but hey, different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area