Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 04:49 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times

Advertisements

Oh good, now the same person bumped THIS thread as another old one. ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 PM

253 posts, read 464,496 times
I am now in the process of selling my home here (in a semi-hot market) with the intention of moving to Metro Phoenix. However that is not the point of my input here. Actually, I have been badly confused by this whole thread. When I was down there last (within the last 6 months), I drove around for in excess of three weeks including several trips out of the city. At that time all of the roads were open and serviceable going both ways with no restrictions on travel of any kind. Have these closed so these people can't get out? Are they being held in duress of some sort? Or is it just that they made a decision as an adult, and now don't like the end results of that decision?
We have a saying up here. it's "Cowboy Up". It means if things go wrong, whether by your own acts, or by blind luck, you take on the responsibility to do what it takes to change it to something that suits you better. In short it means "Quit whining".

Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,533,407 times
Thanks for the post, Darrell!

My experience is that there are more whiners on this board than you'll find in person where ever in Phoenix you end up. I think many of these complainers may not actually live in Arizona, as well.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,979,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, to be fair, I did defend the Bay Area against a very vocal critic of it on their forum. I look like a lightweight compared to what this person had to say. I found it amusing.

I agree with the sinkhole effect and would like to hear more about that.

Admittedly, I was stupid not to sell in 2005. But who knew that was the top of the market? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. But I was smart to get out while the Dow was at 11,300. Oh well.

It is not that I find this place endurable. I am too cheap to sell at a loss. What was it Bush said? Money trumps peace (or in my case, peace of mind). And there are other reasons but I won't get into them here.

So, no, I am not just some blathering idiot whose opinion isn't founded in reality.

That's the first time you agreed with Bush. I would say just rent your house and leave.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM

132 posts, read 427,747 times
Honestly, I think it's the heat that deters people away from the area and give those the need to complain excessively. I see so many "I hate Phoenix" threads it's getting ridiculous. I'm sick of seeing them - and I don't even live there yet!

If any of you who live there are sick and tired of it and want to switch places with me, I'd gladly do it in a heartbeat.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:55 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,904,277 times
It is really hard to grasp the negativity... I will be there in about 1-1/2 weeks and so excited to not see winter that I can't see straight...my highs have been in the 60's, cloudy and rain for over the last week in July...yeah whine...

Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,345,033 times
I agree that lots of times people try to blame the place for their misery or for their bad luck but lots of times it's within the person...took me years to figure that out and admit it! Lots of times though, it does help to move out of the heat if you can't stand it (or the cold)...a place is not always that bad, it just may not be the place for you...plus if you move, you have to accept and expect changes and when in Rome....

Old 07-26-2009, 07:28 PM

253 posts, read 464,496 times
Ritchie,
I spent a month there and met way more pleasant people than unpleasant ones. It seems to me that a lot of the complainers could well be people who are simply trying for reaction rather than stating a considered opinion.
Darrell

My experience is that there are more whiners on this board than you'll find in person where ever in Phoenix you end up. I think many of these complainers may not actually live in Arizona, as well.[/quote]

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,041,350 times
This is true a lot of complainers don't actually live in Phoenix and have "visited!" I think they actually like Phoenix and hate where they live so they try to get negative reactions starting by stating falsities and myths.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:13 PM

133 posts, read 192,206 times
We almost retired to Phoenix, but then our daughter went on the college program at Disneyworld and we fell in love with beautiful Florida. The best part is the people. They have Southern hospitality and come over and ring your doorbell. I love it. It's impossible to be bored with Florida passes. We don't even get to the beaches, which are 60 miles East or West of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area