Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM

717 posts, read 1,061,730 times

Advertisements

I'm not a Phoenix basher, i'm simply able to be realistic and objective about the city itself. The popularity of Phoenix flat out is not based on the job market, on cultural opportunities, access to the ocean or even on cheap cost of living. Phoenix is popular for its image of year round warm weather and sunshine. Sure, people DO move to Phoenix for other reasons (that's true of all cities), but it became a boomtown based on people's perception of the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:49 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,716,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I'm not a Phoenix basher, i'm simply able to be realistic and objective about the city itself. The popularity of Phoenix flat out is not based on the job market, on cultural opportunities, access to the ocean or even on cheap cost of living. Phoenix is popular for its image of year round warm weather and sunshine. Sure, people DO move to Phoenix for other reasons (that's true of all cities), but it became a boomtown based on people's perception of the weather.
I agree and gave you props for that but there are more opportunities in Phoenix than places like Yuma, Snowflake, and Tucson.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times
Quote:
Frankly; Phx's lack of '4 season' winter weather is its trump card for me. Couple that with inexpensive housing and the fact that more than two overcast days quickly get on my nerves and one gets the picture.

Note: I sure as hell do not go on the Wash DC/NoVa or Chicago, etc. Forums ragging on the folks who are happy living back there. I respect their decisions.

Frankly; if SoCal had a sudden population loss (especially illegal aliens)--------I would be sorely temped to move back there. But, since that is not likely to happen, I am going to stay right here in Arizona and enjoy it

In all fairness; since I am getting older and the summer heat is annoying.........if I had a lead of a decent job in, say, Kingman or Globe..............those 10 degree lower temps in the summer plus more rain would be appealing

Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM

568 posts, read 1,208,996 times
<<if I had a lead of a decent job in, say, Kingman or Globe..............those 10 degree lower temps in the summer plus more rain would be appealing >>

Yep. My mom/dad and grandma did just that when they moved out here from Florida and Illinois, respectively. They're up in Cottonwood where that 10 degrees makes a world of difference in taking the edge off the heat. Plus, they still don't have any snow that 'sticks', so no shoveling...but they get to see it on the surrounding Mingus Mountain Range, which is enough for them!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 21,324 times
Don't move here if you expect it to be like the midwest, California , NY etc, Phoenix is what Phoenix is.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,485,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
It seems like every cities section here on city data has at least one person who just frequents the forum to talk about how they don't like the city, and to brag that they are either trying to leave, or they are leaving. And then want to rub it in about how much better the place they are going to is, or the place they came from is compared to the city they are trashing.

I'm not sure what they are expecting to gain, do they think all of the residents of a city are going to say "you know your right and because of what you said we now hate it here to", or "now that you say all these things we are going to move". Of course that isn't going to happen, all it does is create arguments and apples & oranges discussions.

I notice that most of the people who constantly complain about Phoenix have made their point ages ago, and are simply just beating a dead horse. So you don't like Phoenix? We heard you already, and if another city is more your cup of tea then enjoy yourself. Quite frankly though people are so tired of hearing everyday about how Phoenix is such a horrible place to live and that this or that place is so much better. Enough already.
Word.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM

683 posts, read 2,655,093 times
Quote:
People flock to Phoenix overestimating the importance of warm weather. Meanwhile, they underestimate the importance of job security, family, and occassional cloud cover.
Warm weather means my golf course is open 365 days a year. That gives me job security. If I still lived in the midwest, my job would be seasonal and I would have to find another source of income every winter.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,021,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I must say, I will be part of that 100k statistic next year.
How classy of you to share how much you'll be making.

You'll fit right right in if you move to Scottsdale.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,584,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How classy of you to share how much you'll be making.

You'll fit right right in if you move to Scottsdale.
Er... if you see the original post I quoted, 100k is referring to the number of people possibly expected to move here next year, not how much I'll be making.

I'm just graduating college with a bachelor's degree next year. I'm not planning on making any more than $30k my first year, if that, even.

And I don't even know where I'll end up in the Valley, but Scottsdale isn't really on my list. I think Tempe or Phoenix proper may suit me a bit more.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,337,427 times
Quote:
That is the case now but it wasn't the case a few years ago. We were known as the one of the fastest growing cities with one of the fastest growing job markets with cheap housing and a low cost of living. Inc magazine ranked us #1 in the country for best city to start a new business. We were ranked 2nd in the country for fastest growing jobs less than 10 years ago. How many places in the country can you golf and snow ski in the same day in February? How many cities have all 4 professional sports teams and hosts Superbowls? Access to ocean, is 3 hours to Rocky Point too far for you? How is Chicago's access to the Ocean..oh yeah..they have Lake Michigan, that's the samething. The cost of living is relatively cheap compared to most cities this size. It's certainly cheaper than California. Yes, we are experiencing economic trouble because we grew too fast and because the economy sufferred. Nonetheless, this city will readjust and regain that prominence.

The only one of your criticisms that is valid is our lack of culture and history but that is to be expected because we are a relatively young and new city. There are also advantages to that namely the fact that everything is new and clean which I certainly don't mind. You aren't being objective, you are just being a hater who is making a superficial claim that people move here for the weather alone. Maybe you don't like Phoenix and that's okay. I don't want to live in Chicago but I understand why others do. Perhaps you should at least be honest and acknowledge why others like Phoenix even if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area