Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times

Advertisements

I don't mean Movie cinemas, but I guess they can count if you want.

I'm wanting the hot spots where you can see the Symphony Orchestra, a good concert, plays, Ballets, Comedy shows, and whatever else.

Here are my pics so far----------

Orpheum - Downtown Phx.

Jobing.com Arena - Glendale

Celebrity Theater

Symphony Hall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
The Orpheum is fabulous in terms of appearance. I still love going to Gammage, having been one of the first women on its paid house staff in the 70's.

I liked Celebrity when I was younger. Now I see how ridiculously cramped it is in terms of seating. The last time I was there was to see Carole King. VERY expensive ticket, no leg room, no room side to side, crammed in that front section like sardines. But, there's nowhere else you will be that close to the stage, either.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 AM

94 posts, read 394,918 times
I really like the Herberger downtown. I've been to a few Actors Theatre performances, and am always struck by what a nice venue the Herberger provides.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM

I forgot the Herberger. Bad me! I've had season tix there for a long time. Absolutely agree!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
celebrity is neat, but the novelty fades on certain shows as I try to cram all 6'5" of me into one of their seats

love both the orpheum and gammage

cricket is a really nice basic ampitheater

mesa amp is really neat as well

herberger downtown is enjoyable as well

i'm trying to think of one I don't like ...... off hand maybe the dodge, doesn't really do much for me - not great for concerts, much better places for theater - decent for comedians who are "too big" for the improv

love how we can have this discussion in cultureless, nothing to do, boring ol' phoenix

Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
celebrity is neat, but the novelty fades on certain shows as I try to cram all 6'5" of me into one of their seats

love both the orpheum and gammage

cricket is a really nice basic ampitheater

mesa amp is really neat as well

herberger downtown is enjoyable as well

i'm trying to think of one I don't like ...... off hand maybe the dodge, doesn't really do much for me - not great for concerts, much better places for theater - decent for comedians who are "too big" for the improv

love how we can have this discussion in cultureless, nothing to do, boring ol' phoenix
Oh yeah - forgot about Herberger and Gammage. I think Gammage has been around for nearly a Century hasn't it? I could be wrong, but I heard it's quite old.

No culture and nothing to do in Phx? Who sez?????? Yeah, I know there are some of those types around that think we should be like New York or Paris, but Phx. is good enough for me!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM

I can relate, FInger Laker. I'm over 6 feet myself. Hence my issue with the Celebrity.

Homlish-- Gammage is not a century old. Built in the 60's, with some major work done in the last 10 years.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
It's not the most spectacular place, but I'm fond of the Peoria Center for the Performing Arts.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,762,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I can relate, FInger Laker. I'm over 6 feet myself. Hence my issue with the Celebrity.

Homlish-- Gammage is not a century old. Built in the 60's, with some major work done in the last 10 years.
Also Gammage was built by Frank lloyd Wright

Old 04-01-2009, 01:39 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
The Orpheum is one of the original theatres in downtown Phoenix, and is very unique on the outside. The inside is very nice as well ... however, the last time I was there, the cooling system was in dire need of repair. When I worked downtown, my company had a "town hall" meeting hosting the CEO at the Orpheum ... it was in July, and the inside was warm & very stuffy. Imagine how uncomfortable a crowded theatre is during a Phoenix summer when the ventilaton is poor. I couldn't stand it very long in there, so I had to miss the meeting & leave.

I don't think anybody mentioned U.S. Airways Center (formerly America West Arena). It's really the stadium for the Phoenix Suns, but it also makes a good arena for concerts & other shows. Dodge Theatre is decent, but the sound system isn't too good for music concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area