Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:35 PM

72 posts, read 148,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Are you retired or still working? I know the job situation in Michigan is grim right now but it's also pretty bad in Arizona. If you are looking for warm weather and job opportunities, Houston Texas is a great option. I wouldn't move to Arizona and hope to get lucky with finding a job here.

Nonetheless, you will feel at home here. There are so many people from the upper Midwest here especially Illinois, Michigan and Ohio. I love people from the upper midwest. They are some of the nicest and most down-to-earth people. Michigan and Illinois people are my favorite. There are a lot of Michigan folk here. One of the bars I go to, Upper Deck sports grill is a Michigan bar. Upstairs, it's Michigan fans and downstairs it's Michigan St. fans. I'm not even from Michigan but I get along with them so well that I watch games with them. The upper Midwest transplants are the best transplants. They never complain about the weather. They love what Arizona has to offer and are proud and stick up for Arizona. If you can find a job, you will love it here.
My wife and I are working. We are in our mid 20's with no children yet.
My Mom, Stepdad, and 2 sisters live in Goodyear. When we were out visiting in January I fell in love with the place. I absolutely loved it.

I am a Project manager/CAD Operator at a Structural Steel fabricating Business and my Wife is a Phlebotomist/Lab Tech for Marquette General Hospital.

I absolutely loved Phoenix, went to Sedona and loved that place too. Sedona is out of our price range I am sure, and it looked like an Art community along with numerous lawyers.

My wifes family lives right in town here, that is the "ONLY" reason she doesnt want to go. I say only because thats the only reason....but its a good reason for not wanting to go. We both love quad riding, love being outside, swimming, going to lakes, walking, hiking....basically all summer sports/activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
I moved to AZ about 2 years ago from Ypsilanti, MI. Still own my house there, couldn't sell if I wanted to, owe about 115k, and it's worth about 75k tops. Luckily I have good renters. I go back every couple of months as my kids are still there with their mom, although they spend summers here with me in AZ.
I like it out here, dunno if I'll stay, i like being able to move anywhere in the country if need be (to find work). I've been here for two years and just got the chance to visit one of the lakes last weekend. It was so beautiful!
Only thing I miss about MI is my family, other than that when I visit, I can't wait to get back to AZ. The heat really isn't that bad, just like MI winters, you go from car, to work, to house all climate controlled. Except here you can venture out at night. I see soooo many MI plates on cars here! I think with that 12% unemployment rate in MI, many are headed out this way.
I told my wife if i get laid off I am going out there to look for work....because there isnt anything around here right now. Unemployment in Marquette county right now is at 14%....the highest is Baraga and Mackinac Counties at 24% and 28%. Thats almost unheard of!

The only thing stopping us is my wifes family is all right here in town. But, im sure when we live someplace warm there will never be a lack of people wanting to visit us.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
My wife and I are working. We are in our mid 20's with no children yet.
My Mom, Stepdad, and 2 sisters live in Goodyear. When we were out visiting in January I fell in love with the place. I absolutely loved it.

I am a Project manager/CAD Operator at a Structural Steel fabricating Business and my Wife is a Phlebotomist/Lab Tech for Marquette General Hospital.

I absolutely loved Phoenix, went to Sedona and loved that place too. Sedona is out of our price range I am sure, and it looked like an Art community along with numerous lawyers.

My wifes family lives right in town here, that is the "ONLY" reason she doesnt want to go. I say only because thats the only reason....but its a good reason for not wanting to go. We both love quad riding, love being outside, swimming, going to lakes, walking, hiking....basically all summer sports/activities.

I think your wife will have a pretty easy time finding work. You sound like you have a great trade/skill...so that is to your favor.

If you love quad riding...check out the Cave Creek area. Some of the most beautiful area in the phx metro area.

Because you guys are young I think you should take the plunge. You can always go back.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM

omle: thank you for the info. We will have to check out Cave Creek when we are out there in August.
I think we should make the move also...thank you for the boost in spirit!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,613 times
Quote:
omle: thank you for the info. We will have to check out Cave Creek when we are out there in August.
I think we should make the move also...thank you for the boost in spirit!
Well, we need people like you here!

Cave Creek area is fantastic for all hiking, biking, quad, camping, etc., activities. Also check out the far east valley/Queen Creek...I know they have medical facilities out there (for your wife's job) and the outdoor activities are great. Plus you could pick up a foreclosed home for a song.

Areas you might check out:

Cave Creek (Town of Cave Creek, not down in Phx)
Queen Creek
Far nw valley (not my fav, but you would be closer to Goodyear...and Lake Pleasant and LOTS OF dirt/quad tracks)

And...if you are adventure minded and on a budget look at New River....it is very far north and kind of rough around the edges...but I kind of like it, and think it is a good investment area. Kind of a mix of trailers, cool architechts, struggling horse properties, yoga people. Interesting.

Msg me if you need further info.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,258 times
We are from the other sides of the "great" lakes and are making the move as soon as we get job offers. From Buffalo, NY.

Good luck to everybody coming West from MI.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
As per the other posters here: best bet is to visit Arizona in person during the Monsoon Season which is July and August............if the heat/humidity does not irk you--------then the rest of the year here is easy

NOTE: if looking at Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City or Parker; all along the Colorado River across from California-----------the heat there in the summer is indeed dangerous. Read that 5-10 degrees hotter than the Phx area.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times
Marquette is beautiful; NMU is a great school too. But I'm not surprised one would want to get out of those horendous winters. It can be rough on ya, eh?

Hey Trudawg, I graduated from EMU down there in Ypsitucky; so did my grandmother as a matter of fact. Winters down there ain't so nice either...6 inches of snow on Monday....

I think that any midwesterner would find like minded folk out here...ESPECIALLY the "true" Arizonans. It's a cool place to live.

Hey , you don't have to worry about rakin' leaves or shovelin' snow....and forget 'bout the 4 wheel drive thing....oh yeah, I must remember...real yoopers don't need 4 wheel drive.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:45 AM

41 posts, read 145,725 times
Hi, we are moving from CA to Michigan..in a week! CA is where I grew up but I sure look forward to living in open space and a place with seasons. The weather is the only thing in CA that is good anymore, is is too expensive and so congested. It takes 20 min just to park you car here, if you can even find parking. Life is too short for stuff like that! Also, there are more job postings in parts of MI than in CA!

I seem to be seeing a few other people posting questions about moving to MI too. Wish us luck guys!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
We are going there in the beginning of august to check out some places. Figured we would check out the summer months....because whether its a dry heat or a humid heat, 110 degrees is still 110 degrees. It may feel better or not, but i want to feel it personally not just take peoples words for it.

Im worried about being able to sell our home too, luckily we bought a foreclosure and owe 72K on it, but it is assessed at well over 100.....yes even right now...last appraisal was done in January after we redid the entire house.

Thank you for the response, its reassuring hearing other peoples success stories. Its such a big move and a big change that it makes me uneasy....but ultimately this is what i want. I want to be able to ride quads, hike, sight see at least the majority of the year.

I feel like here in Michigan we wait around 9 months out of the year for summer and then go like heck for those 2-3 months of summer. Im sick of waiting around, i want to be outside enjoying life all year long.
Visiting 110 degree weather for a few days (then retreating back to the UP's gorgeous 75 degree summers) is one thing. Living the rest of your life with a big chunk of the year at 100+ degrees gets real rough. If you ride quads, and are smart about it, you wear a helmet, pads, etc, right? If so, completely forget about daytime riding in PHX from May until mid-October... youll give yourself a heat stroke. And you seem like a adventurous person, why not try other sports in MI since you want to be out year round? Have you ever skiid? Ridden snowmobliles? Gone showshoeing? Just curious, because I find the U.P. to be one of the best outdoorsy places in the nation. But if you want to move to AZ strictly for warmer weather, I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area