Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 PM

919 posts, read 3,401,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
That's a new one -- claiming that Downtown businesses are experiencing less business due to light rail being in operation. From what I've seen, it's exactly the opposite. I can't go a week without hearing about another light rail pub crawl, often with several stops Downtown, and some restaurants not previously open during weekends are now adding hours because of increased foot traffic in front of their doors. People from the suburbs are discovering places they didn't know about and rediscovering old favorites they'd forgotten.
Pub crawls are a novelty already wearing off. I'm in groups that have done them and most have said they should have stayed on Mill. There's absolutely nothing of interest along most of the route. Mesa? Nope. Washington? Dead. Maybe a handful of places near downtown/central. 2 or 3 places north of Thomas. And extended hours? The trains stop running hours before last call. One risks getting stuck downtown if not heading home early enough. I know several business owners who have indeed lost traffic because the rail "channels" don't allow people to make a left turn into their lots, as they could before. It certainly impacts the bottom line if consumers have to overshoot and circle back, since a percentage will simply choose to skip and go somewhere else. Not all businesses are pedestrian reliant and even then - rail isn't delivering any numbers of pedestrians that justify the massive cost of the system. Phoenix Art Museum has a rail station out front yet will be announcing this week they are closing down another whole day per week due to low attendance. As I've said before, rail works fine in some cities, but not PHX. And even if the dye was cast by voters with good intentions, the subsequent design decisions and plans have been horrible.

Last edited by joninaz; 04-08-2009 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,480,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Pub crawls are a novelty already wearing off. I'm in groups that have done them and most have said they should have stayed on Mill. There's absolutely nothing of interest along most of the route. Mesa? Nope. Washington? Dead. Maybe a handful of places near downtown/central. 2 or 3 places north of Thomas. And extended hours? The trains stop running hours before last call. One risks getting stuck downtown if not heading home early enough. I know several business owners who have indeed lost traffic because the rail "channels" don't allow people to make a left turn into their lots, as they could before. It certainly impacts the bottom line if consumers have to overshoot and circle back, since a percentage will simply choose to skip and go somewhere else. Not all businesses are pedestrian reliant and even then - rail isn't delivering any numbers of pedestrians that justify the massive cost of the system. Phoenix Art Museum has a rail station out front yet will be announcing this week they are closing down another whole day per week due to low attendance. As I've said before, rail works fine in some cities, but not PHX. And even if the dye was cast by voters with good intentions, the subsequent design decisions and plans have been horrible.
Shifting argument here. First, you said business would be lost because people could eat and drink in suburbia before they could come into town for an event. They could do that before rail. Rail makes it possible for them to discover new places and make stops along the way without worrying about parking. Now, you're claiming reduced left turn opportunities are hurting business. I've yet to see any documentation of that, and I suspect PAM's change in hours is due more to economic circumstances than anything else.

As regards to the "horrible" designs decisions and plans, you've never provided a workable alternative design in all your diatribes against light rail in Phoenix. It's one thing to say you don't like the track in the street and another to provide a cost-effective alternative routing. Of course, doing so would require being pro-something instead of anti-everything when it comes to rail, and I fear that you actually would prefer to keep rail out of Phoenix altogether. If that's the case, then we're so far apart that there's zero common ground on which to base discussion, especially when the line has already been built and incessant naysaying therefore serves no purpose.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 PM

9,545 posts, read 16,580,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
This honor system using fare inspectors is fairly common. Berlin and Portland are examples of similar systems.

The way that the rail lines in front of the platforms are just separated from the roadway by a curb would make it too easy to avoid a turnstile and encourage people to cross the tracks at a dangerous spot.
Portland could win the academy award for most people that do not pay their fares. Honor systems may work in some cities but Portland's Honor system needs to be investigated. I hope Phoenix doesn't allow what goes on here, and collects their fares.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:56 PM

263 posts, read 1,080,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Agreed, they need to stop making cities for cars and start making them for people.

So beautifully said. Then we can consume less space, water, gas/energy, etc. It sounds marvelous, but it won't happen in our lifetime.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 PM

652 posts, read 2,716,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
And extended hours? The trains stop running hours before last call. One risks getting stuck downtown if not heading home early enough.
So you are suggesting driving home at closing time? Shouldn't people out drinking till 2AM be walking or taking a cab home anyways?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 PM

652 posts, read 2,716,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
So beautifully said. Then we can consume less space, water, gas/energy, etc. It sounds marvelous, but it won't happen in our lifetime.
Thanks, I wish I could claim it for myself but I have been influenced by James Howard Kunstler books, check them out

Old 04-09-2009, 08:49 PM

263 posts, read 1,080,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Thanks, I wish I could claim it for myself but I have been influenced by James Howard Kunstler books, check them out

Well, you can keep the compliment for being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area