Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,327 times

Advertisements

I really need help with my ex-home association from Arizona in the Phoenix-Avondale area. Over a year ago, I moved out of Arizona to Texas because my house was foreclosed because of unable to make payments. I left the house on late 01/08 so I also stopped making the payments to the HOA and after I moved all my stuff out of the house I accidentally left the trash can visible to the street. So to make story short, the association has sent me letters all along this time to my new address in Texas and in the mean time extra fees have been accumulating from violations such as trash can visible to not making quarterly payments to HOA that supposely I am still liable for. Now in 04/09 HOA has sent a letter through a lawyer's office urging me to pay the balance due from all the fees accumulated all this time or they will take my case before a court to file a lawsuit against me. Where's our government to represent us, the taxpayers, our representatives who pass this laws on behalf of this interest groups. Anybody out there who might have an answer on what I can do or maybe an advise??? Please!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 AM

710 posts, read 3,393,683 times
If your foreclosure took effect in 1/08, then it would seem to me as if the bank owned the home, and would therefore have been liable for the HOA violations, no?

What would be the point of the lawsuit anyhow, to secure a judgment against you and put a lien on property you no longer own?

If a foreclosure's already on your credit report, who cares about an HOA... I'd send 'em off a letter saying you dispute the debt, that you surrendered the property in 1/08, and that they should take up the matter with the bank.

You might get a decent answer over at creditboards.com as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Surrendering the property does not relieve you of your obligation to pay the HOA fees. You are on the hook until such time as the bank takes ownership or the place sells. That can be several months.

Your debt to the HOA for the months prior to actual foreclosure was secured by liens on your home that were discharged in foreclosure. But, the debt is not discharged and remains as an unsecured one. So yes, they can get a judgment rather easily and garnish your wages if you do not pay it. The HOAs that are big enough and have retained legal staff do this, the little ones eat the loss.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 AM

930 posts, read 2,424,747 times
Well your situation is probably different...like the foreclosure occurred because you lost your job or some circumstance beyond your control.

But 3 of my neighbors walked away from their homes because the value had dropped and they could buy a new property elsewhere cheaper before the foreclosure trashed their credit score. No they didn't pay their HOA dues either, or much care how they left the house. And if any of those 3 ex-neighbors asked me to help them fight our HOA I would recommend they stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 220,223 times
Quote:
Where's our government to represent us, the taxpayers, our representatives who pass this laws on behalf of this interest groups.
Eh? Color me silly but what has your HOA done wrong here? You simply didn't pay them which is what you promised to do.

I'm amazed at what folks think they're "entitled" to when they don't live up to their contractual agreements.

We live in "interesting" times indeed.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicT View Post
Eh? Color me silly but what has your HOA done wrong here? You simply didn't pay them which is what you promised to do.

I'm amazed at what folks think they're "entitled" to when they don't live up to their contractual agreements.

We live in "interesting" times indeed.
That was my reaction, too-- I didn't get what the government was supposed to do or not do here.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 AM

235 posts, read 756,475 times
I don't believe in hoa's , but i look at them the same way I do mortgages and credit cards. You signed up for it, and now you either pay it or let them trash your credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area