Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,759 times

Advertisements

We will be on vacation in Arizona in June (driving much of the state). About 10 years ago I researched the Phoenix area and found that was where I wanted to move, but plans changed and didn't do it. So we are coming for a vacation and I am making sure we spend one night in the suburbs so I can get a feel for the area (and give DH a good feel about it too). I realize that 1day/nite is not alot, but it is all we have in the area. I really need to compare AZ to the Ft Lauderdale area which is at the top of our list too.

I want to stay in a suburb and drive the neighborhoods a bit. It may sound crazy, but somewhere that we can get supplies at Walmart, go to Starbucks - check out the local grocery store - normal stuff. So which area would be best for us? I was thinking Scottsdale because that is where DH has business. Is this a good city?

We will be coming out with our children - 17 and 24. Our son will be graduating high school in 2010 and going in the military so we will be 47 year old empty nesters and looking to move into the next phase of our life. I love Virginia, but I am a warm weather, tropical girl and I want to settle somewhere like that.

What I want is advice on the BEST suburb to impress my husband . I have been to Arizona, just not Phoenix so I understand the heat issues .

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
One night is not going to tell you much about living in the Phoenix suburbs, and I have no idea which suburb would impress your husband most. Many of them are large in their own right, with multiple "local grocery stores", (and in some cases, multiple Wal-Marts.)

If he's a sports fan, the Glendale/Peoria/Surprise area has a lot to offer, with the Cardinals stadium, hockey arena, and multiple spring training sites (spring training just ended), including the brand new one for the Dodgers. If you just want to drive some nice neighborhoods, etc., there are many out there in that area, but also in Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe, parts of Mesa. If hubby has a connection to Scottsdale due to business, that might be a logical selection.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Thanks - sports, that is the key!!! Is there a minor league team in the Phoenix area as well as the Diamondbacks? I think Phoenix will be the only part of the trip where he can get his sports fix so maybe we can find a minor league game.

I have spent a bit of time this morning on this thought, and it appears that Scottsdale is too upity for me. I want 'normal' AZ suburbs - the kind of area that middle class reside, kids play in their yards etc.

I have traveled all over the country and found places I definitely would not live and only a few that I would. Arizona is one of those good places, but I have not been to Phoenix specifically. We are just average working citizens, not rich, not poor.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
Sorry, no minor league team here. We had the AAA Firebirds until the Diamondbacks started up. Tucson just lost their AAA team. There used to be a California League team in Yuma but that's gone too.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Thanks - sports, that is the key!!! Is there a minor league team in the Phoenix area as well as the Diamondbacks? I think Phoenix will be the only part of the trip where he can get his sports fix so maybe we can find a minor league game.

I have spent a bit of time this morning on this thought, and it appears that Scottsdale is too upity for me. I want 'normal' AZ suburbs - the kind of area that middle class reside, kids play in their yards etc.

I have traveled all over the country and found places I definitely would not live and only a few that I would. Arizona is one of those good places, but I have not been to Phoenix specifically. We are just average working citizens, not rich, not poor.
Parts of Scottsdale, esp to the far north, are in the "uppity" category. But Scottsdale covers a large area, and also has middle class/upper middle class areas as you describe.

If you've never been to Phoenix, again, one day is not going to tell you enough, I'm afraid.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,752 times
June? I know one thing one day will most likely tell you: IT'S HOT lol!

Try NE Phoenix or Scottsdale and make your own impressions rather than just relying on others perpetuating a lot of stereotypes about "uppity". Take him around Kierland, Mayo, Desert Ridge/CityNorth and Airpark areas. More grocery stores, restuarants and Starbucks than you can probably count. Golf Courses. Resorts. Shopping galore. Movie theaters. Go into subdivisions like Grayhawk or McDowell or DC Ranch-these are all "family oriented" communities. Take a short drive south (10 miles) and see the Scottsdale Waterfront and Fashion Square Mall. Take a short driver north (few miles) and see "desert north" Scottsdale places like Troon. If he likes suburban and doesn't mind the heat, this is a really nice area. Of course I live here. And I am not "uppity". ;-)

There are some spring training games. I know I went to one down by Fashion Square-I think it was the Giants Stadium on Osborne near Hayden where they play for training. Maybe you can see if there is a game that day.

I do agree that one day isn't going to be a very good "taste" tho. You won't even really get your "bearings" in such a short time.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
There are some spring training games. I know I went to one down by Fashion Square-I think it was the Giants Stadium on Osborne near Hayden where they play for training. Maybe you can see if there is a game that day.
Surprisingly, "spring training" is in, well, spring. No spring training games in June. The stadium you are referring to is at Drinkwater and Osborn but the games are in March.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks Ivanacowboy! That was the information I was looking for.
I realize I cannot get a complete feel for the area in 1 day, but I can get a general idea. We did this when we went to Florida 2 years ago. We went outside of the tourist areas and drove around quite a bit in neighborhoods. We looked at things as if we lived there - just looking at shopping etc. If we like Phoenix, we will come back again for a longer stay.

Now we have the opportunity to see Phoenix and I want to do the same thing - then we can compare. Of course the big difference is dry heat vs wet heat. I have been in the desert in August - and in Ft Lauderdale in August. Neither are very pleasant, but the dry heat is definitely 'better'.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Thanks Ivanacowboy! That was the information I was looking for.
I realize I cannot get a complete feel for the area in 1 day, but I can get a general idea. We did this when we went to Florida 2 years ago. We went outside of the tourist areas and drove around quite a bit in neighborhoods. We looked at things as if we lived there - just looking at shopping etc. If we like Phoenix, we will come back again for a longer stay.

Now we have the opportunity to see Phoenix and I want to do the same thing - then we can compare. Of course the big difference is dry heat vs wet heat. I have been in the desert in August - and in Ft Lauderdale in August. Neither are very pleasant, but the dry heat is definitely 'better'.
I think Ivanacowboy gave you good advice.

If you stay in the area around Kierland (just a mall, but it's nice) you can check out Scottsdale and North Phx. Most of Scottsdale is pretty nice and middle class...don't be entirely turned off by what you read on these boards. Some people really just hate the died blond, big boob, plastic-y women and the cell phone on the ear, bleached teeth "high rollers" that do stick out when you go to places like the Fashion mall area, along the canal and some of the northern Scttsdale strip mall restaurants. Yeah, they are silly and lame, but harmless.

There is an area to the east of Scottsdale Rd above Lincoln, I think it's called McCormick Ranch....very nice upper middle class neighborhood, not too new, not too old. A mix of income levels....mature trees and actual lawns. You might like it. Just a thought. There are LOTS of nice neighborhoods all over the city!

The heat is going to be intense while you are here. Try to park in the shade, it makes a big difference and crack your car windows. It will reduce the temp in the car by 10-20 degrees!

If you get a chance, go to a Ranch Market (there is one close to the airport around 14th st and Roosevelt)....It's like being in Mexico! The food court is out of this world! And the produce is great! Not that you would be shopping in that part of the town every week, if you moved here....It will just give you an idea of how diverse the area is.

47 and empty nesters? That sounds like fun! Lots of outdoor activities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area