Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 AM

62 posts, read 135,738 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it all. I'm moving back to the US for a job in tolleson, and I'm looking for a safe area to live in with my wife and young son-without having to commute for hours every day. any suggestions? I feel overloaded with all the research I've been doing online.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
A lot of people here recommend Goodyear, as far as the southwest Valley is concerned. You might also consider Estrella Mountain Ranch area.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 AM

62 posts, read 135,738 times
I looked at goodyear, but isn't it noisy with the airport right there? I'll check out the estrella mountain ranch area.....

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,772,087 times
I like the city of Goodyear and have never considered it noisy. Peoria is another nice city, the northern part especially. It takes us about 35 min to 40 depending on traffic. The schools here are excellent. You should take some trips to see which area is best for your needs.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
I don't live in Goodyear, but I do know that the airport is not a commercial one... So I don't think the noise factor would be that high. Lots of people live around the Scottsdale airport (a VERY busy municipal airport) so noise must not be that much of a factor.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,248,629 times
I live in Goodyear and really enjoy it. Not noisy at all. You will have to deal with traffic during rush hour since you would have to travel the same direction as every else as Goodyear is west of Tolleson. Other than that I would highly recommend Goodyear for someone working in Tolleson.

We looked at Estrella Mountain Ranch and really liked it other than the fact it's quite a ways off the freeway and would make the commute a bit too much for us.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM

587 posts, read 1,422,451 times
We lived in Estrella Mountain Ranch for 5 years before moving up to Palm Valley and we love Goodyear, period. Estrella is just a bit too far, especially with no grocery store back there (yet). And, the more they put on Estrella Pkwy, the farther away it gets.

We've been up in Palm Valley for 3 1/2 years and absolutely love the area and don't consider it noisy at all.

Of course, Luke AFB is only a few miles north of us, so you will hear jets from time to time. Interestingly enough, we heard them MORE when we were in Estrella than we do now, because we were in the direct flight path whereas now we are not.

We love the fighter jets, so we preferred it when we WERE in the direct flight path!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,254,738 times
I love goodyear as well - i live pretty close to the goodyear airport and hear neither jets from luke or planes from the goodyear airport

on a rare occasion you'll see a big plane taking off from there (i've seen it 3 times in over 4 years) and occasionally you'll have blimps when sporting events are in town (no noise)

overall goodyear is really quiet though - gets fairly dark at night, can see the stars, etc

i really like it there

Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM

124 posts, read 509,958 times
My husband and I live in Estrella Mountain Ranch and my husband works in Tolleson. It was only last weekend we were discussing commuting times and whether or not we would choose to live here if we had a do-over. We decided where we live is worth the slightly longer commute.

It takes him maybe 25 mins to get to work, he avoids the I-10 and just uses MC85. Traffic is not heavy and the weather is always good -making it an easy 25 mins! We really enjoy living in Estrella, there are plenty of walking/cycling trails. I certainly recommend it. They are building a grocery store in Estrella which should open by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area