Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 11,928 times

Advertisements

my fiance and i need to move for my job. we currently rent in chicago but would think about being first time home buyers in phoenix. we would be newly married and thinking about starting a family in 2-3 years.

we both value the "neighborhood-ness" of chicago (we live in lincoln square.) i love being able to walk down by block and go from home based neighboorhood to lincoln where i have: bank, dry cleaning, barber, grocer, meat market, endless bars & restuarants. i also highly value independantly owned businesses. there is not a chain restuarant I can think of in the vicinity.

I know phoenix is not chicago, i've been coming here for 5 years on a regular basis. i'm not trying to start a why phoenix is different than chicago thread. I recognize that phoenix was built around a "drive-there" mentality, partly because of heat, partly becasue of american values.

what I'm wondering is if there are neighborhoods that have been built around that sense of community and planning I described? places where I would not neccessarily have to drive too much to enjoy an urban/res mix? places that would keep me engaged in the local community while enjoying it's stores, nightlife, restaurants and recreation?

i'd put our price range from the 300-400k.

any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM

549 posts, read 1,561,448 times
Thank you for not starting a "why is Chicago so different than Phoenix thread," but yeah, this subject comes up a lot.

Phoenix, as you note, isn't built like Chicago - it tends to be that there's a shopping center with many stores and restaurants, surrounded by a golf course with lots of similar looking homes - then a mile or so of freeway, and another center that looks just like that.

The key is to try and be *near* one of those shopping centers, in some cases. For example, near Desert Ridge Marketplace - around Tatum and the 101 - you can be within walking distance of bike trails, the multiple bars and restaurants of the marketplace (including the non-chain Celsius sushi and pizza place Humble Pie), a grocery, bank, barber, a bookstore and a dry cleaner.

There are also a few clusters opening up that have a more neighborhood feel. Camelback near the Biltmore (around 24th St.), further east on Camelback in Arcadia around 44th St (which is developing lots of independent terrific places like Postino, La Grande Orange, Chelsea's, La Fontanella, etc.), downtown Scottsdale at Camelback and Scottsdale and the surrounding Old Town area (which is surprisingly walkable) and even downtown Phoenix, particularly on 1st St near the 700 north block, are becoming more neighborhood-like - especially with light rail nearby. Phoenix ain't Chicago by a long shot, but it's making some promising strides.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM

652 posts, read 2,714,799 times
As someone who is in a similar position who lived in Chicago (Edgewater), I think we are unfortunately out of luck. I haven't found anything that compares to Chicago's neighborhoods in Phoenix other than Tempe and that is more of a college atmosphere. It seems like all houses are in HOA's and all services (dry cleaner, market, gym, restaurant) are in strip malls that you have to drive to. It looks like all elements of urban planning were thrown out the window when Phoenix was built because the city seems to have been built for cars instead of people (although it's getting better with the light-rail). I haven't moved to Phoenix yet though so maybe there is a hidden gem of a neighborhood out there for us yet.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,376 times
I would scope it out for a bit before buying so you don't get stuck somewhere lame, also I think you got about 1-2 year window to buy in at current prices. In the meantime you could rent my condo which is by everything:

http://we350z.com/condo

Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,772,099 times
The way the valley is set up is on a grid, and neighbothoods are setup in a square. There are strip malls @ each corner which makes up the major intersections.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 55,238 times
Any new ideas to add to this thread? I am also looking for a great neighborhood with young, professional adults/atmostphere. Is the Scottsdale area the best? I am single and not really interested in paying more than $1,000/month for rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area