Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,222 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanx for all the responses. I love, love, love heat and dry weather. I grew up in Sac. CA and now I am trying to escape rainy WA State. Here the wind picks up almost every evening and it cools things off too much. Me body just starts to feel comfy at about umm 85-90 degrees and it just gets better from there. I am a little concerned that it may get too hot there, even for my liking. Is AC standard in all appartments and businesses...?
Next question, just how servere is a monsoon? I have no data base in this area. Oh yeah and what about the humidity there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,692,154 times
I thought this past summer was more humid than usual, and earlier, too. But, comparitively, it's not very humid here at all. The monsoons are not very strong here--some rain here and there, although the news makes them out to be these horrendous storms. Strange.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:47 AM

587 posts, read 1,422,694 times
Yeah, the monsoons aren't really that big of a deal most of the time. Mostly evening dust storms and lightning. Not enough rain to go with them if you ask me!

But yes, last summer was indeed more humid - we had dew points in the 70s and that is VERY unusual. Usually during monsoon season you can expect dew points in the 60s, but it doesn't seem all that often that we get up into the 70s, which actually feels pretty sticky.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 AM

467 posts, read 1,191,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Bass View Post
Is AC standard in all appartments and businesses...?
Yes, AC is every where. Plus, some businesses have misters out side to help cool you down while you shop. You will find these type of store all over the place, but mainly in Scottsdale. They don't want to let the upper crust from fainting from the heat.

Quote:
Next question, just how servere is a monsoon? I have no data base in this area. Oh yeah and what about the humidity there?
Well, the humidity is nothing like the south, like in Houston. There it feels like a large elephant is standing on your chest. Here in Phoenix a humid day feel good.

The only draw bad is...

If you have a swamp cooler, (poor man's airconditioning) instead of AC, the humidity will not allow the swamp cooler to work because the swamp cooler works on humidity and dry air.

If the humidity is up around 55, the swamp cooler is just a piece of machinery you are running to waste electricity on. It will not cool you one bit.

So, when you go shopping for a house or apartment, make sure you have both. I wish I hav put it in my home when I had it built in 1998. But my home owners would allow it becuase they look all bulky and stuff on the roof. Where as the AC unit is in the attic and the heat exchanger is on the ground on the side of the house.

If you have both, you can runn the swamp during the non-monsoon months and save yourself a big bill and run the AC during the monsoon.

But, once you have spent 2 or 3 years here, the temp in your house at 85 degrees will feel cold and you mught need to put a sweater on.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Default More ????'s

Ok, heat, sand and monsoons, sounds good lol. If i were to move to Phoenix what parts of town should i stay away from? I want a safe yet inexpensive neighborhood (is there such a thing). And this is probably a silly question, but do all apartments have AC?

Curious Gigi

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,191,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Bass View Post
Ok, heat, sand and monsoons, sounds good lol. If i were to move to Phoenix what parts of town should i stay away from? I want a safe yet inexpensive neighborhood (is there such a thing). And this is probably a silly question, but do all apartments have AC?

Curious Gigi
Yep! All apartments have AC...it's the law in this state.

Places to stay away from...
South Phoenix
South Scottsdale
North West Mesa
West Phoenix (Just west of downtown)
North West Phoenix (Just NW of Downtown)

Places to live in....
Scottsdale: North of the Indian Bend up to Cave Creek. The more north the more...$$$
Paradise Valley: Every where around Camel Back mountain...$$$ (Major)
Ahwatukee: Great place, but hard to get too. A lot of stop lights you have to go through...great homes...$$$
Glendale: Home of "Sports heaven"...$$$
Fountain Hills: East of Scottsdale, great place for golf....$$$.
Superstition Mountain: Major money out this way. Homes start in the $500K and only go up from here. This is where you can find the "Phoenix Street of Dreams"
North Phoenix: Just north of the 101. Great shopping and good homes.
Chandler: Not a bad place, nice homes, good area...$
Gilbert: Up and coming place. So. gilbert yes, north gilbert next to Mesa...No.
Peoria: North West Phoenis area out by the 101 west. Very nice homes at a good price.

Use this like to look at the areas:
north phoenix - Google Maps

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
And don't leave Tempe off that list of places to live.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Thanx a bunch responders

I am looking to move to the Phoenix area the end of May. I know about the heat, monsoons, wind and parts of town to stay away from, what else should I know about? Jobs hard to find?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:13 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,502,742 times
Generally, job market not great here. What field(s) are you in? Someone here posted a list of companies that are hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area