Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:14 AM

40 posts, read 136,696 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a condo in the Kierland Greens development. I want something small for vacations during the winter and for when I retire. Prices have fallen so low that they seem to be good buys right now. I'm not looking for a Beverly Hills type enviroment. I want something that is proximal to good shopping, entertainment, and recreation. And of course I want it to eventually rise in value.

I had thought about something more close in, along the light rail corridor due to the ease with which I could transfer from the airport to the rail and the onto my new condo. But I didn't really see anything in my price range (less than 300k) along the light rail corridor that met all my requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
The Kierland area is very nice. I live just a tad off the north end of Kierland. I am at Princess or Mayo and Scottsdale. (I can look out my back window and basically see the Westin Kierland resort-so that close).

If those are the condos I am thinking of, they are on 64th street between Greenway and Bell? This is a nice location. You will be close to a number of things-some walking distance, some just a few minutes. Good access to get to the 101 (up Scottsdale) or even the 51 (down Greenway).

I don't have any feedback on those particular condos, but if they are in the Kierland area, you pretty much can't go wrong.

Shopping and convenience is the name of the game in this area of town. If I listed how many stores, groceries and restaurants were within a couple mile radius of Kierland, we would be here for a loooonnngggggg time and your head would spin LOL! You are also very close to a few resorts and spas and golf courses. There are a few movie theaters nearby (Mayo, Shea, Desert Ridge and at Airpark and the Cinema Supper Club at Thunderbird-I also believe they are putting in a "luxury" theater at Scottsdale Quarter right across from Kierland at Greenway & Scottsdale). There is a hospital close at Mayo Clinic (Mayo & 56th).

It is only a few miles to Paradise Valley Mall (your basic everyday kind of mall) at Cactus & Tatum. About 10 miles straight down Scottsdale Road is Fashion Square Mall and the canal waterfront.

There are a couple other malls in various stages (mostly of delay due to the economy) that will be very close. If CityNorth Phase 2 (at Desert Ridge) ever comes online, you will just be a couple miles from Macys, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales-right now it is shopping very similar to Kierland and the urban street feel thing. If the whole One Scottsdale/Palisene thing ever comes online (this is at Scottsdale & the 101), you will have far more shopping than one person could ever know what to do with in a lifetime. That I suppose will depend on the economy.

While this part of town hasn't been exempt from the downturn obviously, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as some of the areas further out. I think Kierland is a fairly safe investment if you have longer term plans to hold the unit. Be glad you werent one of the neighbors buying in at the midrise in Kierland-for like 1200 sf units they initially came online brandnew just a year or so ago at nearly $800K!

If you have anymore questions about this particular area, let me know!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
It's not in Scottsdale, it's in Phoenix...but yea, it's a nice area.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:18 AM

I read that it has a Scottsdale address but is actually in Phoenix. How does that work and what difference does it make? I've never heard anyone referring to 85254 as Phoenix.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,052 times
The Kierland area has become 1 of my favorite sections. I think you can see why.

http://www.realestateworldwide.com/images/property_list/properties/theloft/5.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-13-2009, 02:23 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTryingMyBest View Post
I read that it has a Scottsdale address but is actually in Phoenix. How does that work and what difference does it make? I've never heard anyone referring to 85254 as Phoenix.
Addresses in the Phoenix Metro Area are assigned by the post office that services that address.

If the post office is located in Scottsdale, but it happens to be the closest to your location, then you also end up with the same city/zip code as that post office, even though the property itself is in Phoenix. It happens a lot with properties that are close to boundries to other cities.

If they were to build a new post office closer that would then service your address, then you city/zip code for your address would change. This happened to us...we used to be Glendale, AZ 85310 until they built a new post office and now we're Phoenix, AZ 85083.

The easiest way to tell is either by a city boundry map or see who you pay your water bill to.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
85254 is in city of Phoenix, but uses a Scottsdale mailing address, which actually helps property values in that zip!

W of Scottsdale Rd and N of Cactus is in city of Phoenix, though it has a Scottsdale-feel to it close to Scotts. Rd

Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTryingMyBest View Post
I read that it has a Scottsdale address but is actually in Phoenix. How does that work and what difference does it make?
If it's on the west side of Scottsdale Road in that area, it's in Phoenix. Keep in mind that the zip code may straddle the city boundary, so some addresses within the zip may be truly in Scottsdale while others are actually in Phoenix.

Implications:
  • If you call 911, the police or fire response will be provided by the City of Phoenix.
  • Your water bill will come from the City of Phoenix.
  • If it's a detached home, trash pickup will be handled by the City of Phoenix.
  • You will be eligible to vote in Phoenix elections, not Scottsdale elections.
  • The only thing that will be Scottsdale will be your mailing address and possibly your school district.
  • Nitpickers like me will correct you if you claim to live in Scottsdale.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
The real story is that people lived there when it was unincorporated county land. The Post Office had to call it something, chose Scottsdale. Then Phoenix annexed the land, there was no groundswell among the residents for changing to Phoenix, so it stayed that way.

While the area may have a Scottsdale "feel" to it, the residents of the area have historically had a strong anti-Scottsdale sentiment. Antagonism related to overflights from Scottsdale Airport gave rise in the 1980s to a group called NEVCO (Northeast Valley Citizens Organization), which (at least at the time) personified the term NIMBY. Their strong dislike for Scottsdale resulted in the dead-ending of Greenway Road into the airport. Per the Phoenix General Plan it was supposed to roughly follow the alignment of what is now Kierland Blvd. and connect to the Greenway Hayden loop, allowing traffic to slide seemlessly up to Frank Lloyd Wright. They didn't want Scottsdale traffic in their neighborhood. This was right after Phoenix spent millions completing Greenway between 19th Ave and 7th Street. (The same group tried to prevent the building of the bridge over the CAP Canal on 56th Street.)

Old 04-13-2009, 01:59 PM

OK so bottom line it's a nice place to live right? And if I claim to have place in Scottsdale the locals won't hang me will they???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area