Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,988 times

Advertisements

I'm purchasing my first home and can't decide between two houses. I'm a single female, so safety is the number one priority for me. I've rented in Scottsdale/Tempe for years and don't know too much about these neighborhoods, so I was hoping someone could help me out.

One house is located at Greenway and 36th St in North Phoenix and the other is at University and Dobson in Mesa. Anyone have any thoughts about either area?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I would not see either area as a high crime area, from what I can gather not living in either one.

For me, it would depend on which house I liked better/was the better deal, and which area appealed to me more to live in in terms of just the "feel" of it, amenities important to me that were nearby, drive times to where I needed to go regularly (both have decent freeway/parkway access). All that's a personal decision.

Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,713 times
The house near Greenway - is it east or west of 36th? East? Cool. West? Pass!

University/Dobson is sort of crappy, too. But I wouldn't guess you'll have any major safety issues in either area. I like North Phoenix, but closer to Cactus or Shea (I live at 36th/Cactus).

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM

410 posts, read 1,292,898 times
Hmmm... maybe check crime stats for both areas? Sex offender database?

Here's a link for crime stats in Mesa:
Mesa Police Department - Requesting Crime Statistics

Sex Offender Database
Map of registered offenders in your neighborhood

Hope this helps, good luck with your purchase!!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 PM

235 posts, read 755,606 times
36st and green way is in the square. I lived on 36st and Thunderbird. It is gross. Seriously, the area has taken a nose dive. My mothers home, was broken into, the cops did nothing because there has been so many break ins in that area. The walk ability sucks. There has been lots of armed robberies on 36st. Not too long ago 36th st was closed off by police because a group of hoods where walking up and down 36th and robbing everyone who was alone. This is the kind of stuff you only see in movies. It is very dangerous. I hate the area. People can try to make it sound good, because the few decent people in that area cannot sell their homes because the value has dropped so low. People are resorting to sell for under 100k for very large remodeled homes.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Sorry dude, the Greenway Square is the other side of 32nd Street from there, generally considered to be bounded by Bell, Greenway, 32nd St. and Cave Creek.

While 36th/Greenway may suffer by proximity, it is not nearly what the Square is. There is a transition that occurs heading east, where by the time you hit 44th Street the neighborhoods have more in common with 85254 than they do with the poorer areas to the west.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Sorry dude, the Greenway Square is the other side of 32nd Street from there, generally considered to be bounded by Bell, Greenway, 32nd St. and Cave Creek.

While 36th/Greenway may suffer by proximity, it is not nearly what the Square is. There is a transition that occurs heading east, where by the time you hit 44th Street the neighborhoods have more in common with 85254 than they do with the poorer areas to the west.
You haven't seen the revised square I have lived on 28dr and green way. The condos right off green way, located in the heart of the square. And I have had less problems there then I did on 36st. Don't try to convince me 36th is a nice area. Its a SH@T HOLE.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I would suggest that the OP do some of her own research about that area. Uhuh, you MAY be right, but your view of Phoenix in general is so negative that I would want to draw my own conclusions.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM

I live out in surprise now, and its a very safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area