Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM

57 posts, read 119,514 times

Advertisements

Just closed a purchase on a nice townhome in a gated community in what I think is called the West End - close to Encanto @ 83rd. I have been reading this forum extensively, have checked crime stats and have to say, I can only hope for the best. I feel this is a solid middle class neighbourhood, the gated aspect is a plus and the price was excellent for a brand new townhome. I am VERY concerned about crime but my searches on the crime site just don't pick up anything serious or frequent in this area. I made two trips, saw 10 properties and made 4 offers before this one was successful.

Ot gets a little more working class immediately to the east of me but west seems fine, nicely kept homes and green lawns. Does anyone think I have made the wrong move? I guess all I can say is - it's too late anyway, and you ultimately have to go with your gut. Gated was a big factor I must admit but with a hope and a prayer I am in an OK area. All comments appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,197,111 times
You are just having "buyers remorse". A common thing. Enjoy your new home.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,899,914 times
Are you moving fulltime, seasonal? Welcome to AZ

Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,580,846 times
bgoeres,

Buyer's remorse is common. No one knows what's in store (good or bad). Next month physicists might announce successful containment of fusion reaction, and we'd probably get a 30 year boom after that. Or the big quake may strike Los Angeles and the rest of the country could get drained to pay for the recovery.

What really matters is that you enjoy your place and not consider it an investment. Lots of luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM

50 posts, read 115,726 times
bgoeres, have you actually gone and checked out your house and neighbourhood? Phoenix has a way of making everything look good on the MLS pictures and you show up and wow..this is a bad area!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,529,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycrane View Post
bgoeres, have you actually gone and checked out your house and neighbourhood? Phoenix has a way of making everything look good on the MLS pictures and you show up and wow..this is a bad area!
If you read the first post, you would see the OP made two trips here and checked out several properties. I agree, though, that buying without seeing for oneself would be a bad idea.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,355,203 times
Aside from the OP mentioning he had been here - if Skycrane would have looked closer he would have seen he was reviving a thread from months ago.

But, that said - I too agree you definetely should at least see a property in person before purchasing! LOL

Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,532,073 times
Just east of there isn't the best area. Lots of dining and shopping, sure, but not the best/safest area (not "ghetto" either). But where you are should be just fine and I wouldn't worry too much about what is a mile to the east.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 PM

57 posts, read 119,514 times
Default canadian replying to you all

don't know where someone picked up on my not seeing the property. I did see it. my main concern was with the 'hood'. did take possession in march and just returned from 2nd furnishing trip. it ended up being lovely with nice neighbours and it indeed is wilder a few blocks east but great west of me. strange dividing line - thank you all for your support. I think I got a good one!

1st experience 2 weeks ago with 115 weather, wow. don't know how people work, e.g. the landscapers, just awful working conditions for them.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM

50 posts, read 115,726 times
Skimmed the first paragraph and missed some key info..the last line was what I based my comment on "with a hope and a prayer I am in an OK area!" Investing on a hope and prayer never works out well. I see it was just a figure of speech all the homework was completed.

How the townhome is going so far? Great to hear you have your very own piece of paradise! Share your experience if you like. I think you can't go wrong with gated townhome for piece of mind and security!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area