Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM

21 posts, read 52,656 times

Advertisements

I just got back from Phoenix yesterday after a wonderful weekend of househunting and wanted to pose a question. Not sure if I just have really bad luck or a weak stomach, but what is up with the crazy turbulance coming into Phoenix?? Is it the heat pockets? Is this normal- does it matter what size plane you are on? I'm now a tad nervous for our next trip down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Really the only time I noticed bad turbulance was the last time I flew into Phx, but I blamed the pilot as the entire trip was BAD!!! My friend and I were joking the entire time that we were going to die.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Flying into and out of Phoenix in the late spring and summer months can be very bumpy, even in regular size (737 and up) airliners, more so in the smaller jets. I don't care for it either, but it happens, some days worse than others. Going in and out early in the morning and later in the evening helps.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

219 posts, read 764,099 times
It's the heat emanating from the valley floor.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Heat rising at uneven rates will cause this bumpiness, and there is nothing tr worry about.

What you have coming into Phoenix is a lot of concrete and asphalt that will heat up and that hot air will rise. Then there is a lot of desert area, and many buildings where you do not have the same heat rise.

This is what one normally refers to as air pockets. The plane goes through one area of stable air, and then into an area of rising air, and that causes the bumpiness. It's also referred to as turbulence, and in this case it would be light turbulence.

Just think of it as if you're riding in an automobile down a bumpy dirt road.

The way to handle any turbulence is to just sit back in your seat and relax so that your body moves with the seat. If you're at a window seat, then look outside and enjoy the view.

I was an airline pilot for 35 years, 27 years with Pan Am, and this type of light turbulence was always the least of my concerns.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
The heat thing makes sense. But can someone explain why flying out of Minneapolis, there's almost ALWAYS turbulence? Captain Bill, maybe you could explain? I'm thinking it has something to do with the cloud cover? *shrugs*

Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 AM

62 posts, read 135,502 times
I'll be flying into phoenix on saturday, it'll be interesting to see if there's any turbulence...

Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Sean,

You should feel some bumps as the plane descends. Most of the time, it's no biggie. I don't mind some bumps, as long as it is daylight out. Bumpy flights in the dark make me a little nervous.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 AM

430 posts, read 1,409,856 times
Default My Husband just flew back last Sunday............

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezzy View Post
I just got back from Phoenix yesterday after a wonderful weekend of househunting and wanted to pose a question. Not sure if I just have really bad luck or a weak stomach, but what is up with the crazy turbulance coming into Phoenix?? Is it the heat pockets? Is this normal- does it matter what size plane you are on? I'm now a tad nervous for our next trip down there.
from Ohio, he told me "you wouldn't have liked that flight" we had pretty bad turbulance the whole way back. I have had a few bumpy rides back from Ohio as well, the ride out is always better then coming back.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
Well Sort of! Becasue Phoenix is in a valley, you have the wind and the heat that make the decent in phoenix a little ruff..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area