Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 PM

76 posts, read 212,762 times

Advertisements

So I'm curious. I grew up a dog lover, with several collies as a child. But ever since living in NYC, I have grown to despise dogs. Well, maybe not the dogs themselves. But people who own dogs in urban areas.

It the annoyance of defecating and urinating in public places, without a hint of concern for others. Walking dogs, people in NYC have no concern for extended leashes that block others as the walk on sidewalks. Hige animals in small apartments. Dogs illegally let off leashes so the poor thing can run freely (what it should be doing), yet approaching me or the wife, jumping on us,. getting us dirty, licking, smelling, hair and the owner smiling as if the world all loves dogs.

So what the deal with dogs in Phoenix? Everyone have them? Few? Rules? Mayhem?

I'd get on if I had 5+ acres. Nothing less.

Or are they needed for security while you're not home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
No, they aren't "needed for security" On the dog forum I frequent, we like to tell people, if you are looking for a security system, get an alarm, not a dog.

Most apartments don't allow dogs over, say, 20 pounds or so. Some don't allow them at all. It's not like New York, there aren't dogs being walked all over downtown Phoenix. In residential areas, yes, and people are not always good about picking up after their dogs, even though there are ordinances in, I suspect, all the cities around here (I know Tempe has one) requiring it. THere are leash laws, everywhere, and pretty good compliance, to my observation. I don't think you will see what you see in NYC.

Everyone doesn't have a dog, but there are lots of them here. A dog doesn't need five acres, so lots of people in single family homes have dogs.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
I used to live in a nice neighborhood in Chandler and it wasn't uncommon to see dog do along the side of the sidewalks. It's a major problem though.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 AM

Did you mean "it's NOT a major problem though"?

It's not uncommon in the neighborhoods to see that, (as I said above, not everyone complies with the applicable ordinances-- or just common courtesy, for that matter) but I don't see it as a major problem anywhere I've been out walking around.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Maybe if you move to a PHX suburb you can love dogs again. This is a great place to have dogs because everyone has a private walled rear yard. Just let the dog out the patio door while you sit inside in the cool. Or even better, have a doggie door and the dog can let itself in and out. Even the dog poop is easy to deal with. It drys out and hardens like a rock in about a day losing most of its odor and making it easy to scoop.

But like others said, people live side by side here not on top of each other. So the concentration of pets and people is much lower.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Quiet Pima County is a good blog about dogs in Arizona.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
But like others said, people live side by side here not on top of each other. So the concentration of pets and people is much lower.
Yeah, but the pet/owner ratio is higher.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:39 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Did you mean "it's NOT a major problem though"?

It's not uncommon in the neighborhoods to see that, (as I said above, not everyone complies with the applicable ordinances-- or just common courtesy, for that matter) but I don't see it as a major problem anywhere I've been out walking around.
Good observation Observer, that is what I meant. Too late to edit now.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
Good observation Observer, that is what I meant. Too late to edit now.
I know.. happens to all of us!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No, they aren't "needed for security" On the dog forum I frequent, we like to tell people, if you are looking for a security system, get an alarm, not a dog.
It's funny you say that, Observer. I've read time and again that burglars will shy away from homes with dogs. They've taken polls of convicted burglars who will tell you dogs are the number one deterrence above and beyond locks and alarm systems.

Now on the other hand, my neighbors have this retarded dog who just barks all the time, so you'd never know if there's a burglar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area