Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,364,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagrrl View Post
Thankfully he was able to file for unemployment against our old state, NJ.
How does that work? I often wonder if I get canned from my job, if I can file in VA, where I lived for 13 yrs. before moving to AZ a year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 06:27 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,774,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well, just got back--was there from 9am till 1:45..nothing acomplished
you can't goto an office the only way to apply is over the phone.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,496,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
How does that work? I often wonder if I get canned from my job, if I can file in VA, where I lived for 13 yrs. before moving to AZ a year ago.
If you've worked in AZ for a year, you've established a "base period" here, and would apply here.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 PM

35 posts, read 128,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I would have to assume the guy above me is correct - each states laws are different but i think once a year has gone by you're going to have to file in AZ. NJ law states that you can file against NJ after moving ONLY if you never worked a day in your new state. Once you work in your new state you have to file through your new state who then collects the money from your old one and passes it to you. We instead get ours direct from NJ since he never worked here before they pulled the transfer back.

Which brings up a good point for all those moving here - just because your job offers you a transfer doesn't mean your job is secure.Unless you have the kind of job that requires a contract, they can pull the rug out from under you at any time, and it is happening more and more in this economy.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 AM

496 posts, read 1,057,098 times
I guess I was lucky on Unemployment Checks that is. Where I live at in Ky There were alot of major layoffs last winter here But filing was easy sometimes I had to wait a day or two later to get my ck but jobs here are scarce If ya get one hang on to it awhile til the economy picks up .Ive been out of work 7 months now but not from the lack of trying. Good luck I hope you get a check soon.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,651,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
you can't goto an office the only way to apply is over the phone.

Unfortunately, the phone number says "were sorry, all circuits are busy, try again later". the last 86 times i have called it.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,774,148 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the phone number says "were sorry, all circuits are busy, try again later". the last 86 times i have called it.
My g/f went to an office they wouldn't do anything said the only way to sign up is on the phone. They said it's like calling a radio station which it was. Took 2 hours just to get a ring. Them, another couple hours on hold. Start early and don't give up all day.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 AM

776 posts, read 1,686,098 times
I haven't had too much trouble registering and filing when I got laid off in January. I signed up for UI benefits a few days after I got laid off. But that's here in NC...I'm not sure how different AZ is.

I couldn't file weekly online originally because they said my application was still being processed. They then said that a representative would call to confirm my application. I gave them three weeks (since they said it would take a few weeks to process), but I then sent them an e-mail asking for a status and to tell them that I was still unable to file weekly certification online. I again received no reply or call, but I could immediately begin filing and receiving my payments.

I'm assuming they're swamped over there...wonder if they're hiring? ;-)

I'm getting nervous now though since I'm only a few weeks from having my original benefits run out. I've been told that I just need to keep filing, and they will determine if I qualify for an extension and how much I'll get per week...that's what makes me nervous.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,651,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I haven't had too much trouble registering and filing when I got laid off in January. I signed up for UI benefits a few days after I got laid off. But that's here in NC...I'm not sure how different AZ is.

I couldn't file weekly online originally because they said my application was still being processed. They then said that a representative would call to confirm my application. I gave them three weeks (since they said it would take a few weeks to process), but I then sent them an e-mail asking for a status and to tell them that I was still unable to file weekly certification online. I again received no reply or call, but I could immediately begin filing and receiving my payments.

I'm assuming they're swamped over there...wonder if they're hiring? ;-)

I'm getting nervous now though since I'm only a few weeks from having my original benefits run out. I've been told that I just need to keep filing, and they will determine if I qualify for an extension and how much I'll get per week...that's what makes me nervous.
Its extremely frustrating to say the least. Rent is due next week, and I have -$300 in my account. I better get that pay soon...

Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,432,418 times
Quote:
I was laid off from AAA back in March, as of today, I have not recieved 1 penny in unemployment, despite filing the day after I got laid off. Anyone else having the same problem?
I filed for unemplyment in March, I have not received anything yet, I got put on a back-log due to my schooling, I was only umemployed for 3 weeks but I still need that money.

Trying to get ahold of someone is a pain, it took me 3 days of calling every 5 minutes to finally get through the phone system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area