Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,819,154 times

Advertisements

I am a 38year old Executive Assistant that has lived in Charlotte, NC area my whole life, except for the 4 years that I went away to college in Raleigh, NC. I am pondering moving to the Phoenix, Arizona area by my 40th birthday...I've alway wanted to move out west.. I have been to Phoenix on several occasions and visited many areas of it. Now I know the economy right now is not in the best shape and all 50 states are struggling right now trying to remain a float. Should I go for it or am I just living a "pipe dream"? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:14 AM

39,149 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
I am a 38year old Executive Assistant that has lived in Charlotte, NC area my whole life, except for the 4 years that I went away to college in Raleigh, NC. I am pondering moving to the Phoenix, Arizona area by my 40th birthday...I've alway wanted to move out west.. I have been to Phoenix on several occasions and visited many areas of it. Now I know the economy right now is not in the best shape and all 50 states are struggling right now trying to remain a float. Should I go for it or am I just living a "pipe dream"? Thoughts?
I admire you for being willing to make a big change in your life and envy you for having the opportunity to do it. Life is all about "pipe dreams". Go for it!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Default affordable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I admire you for being willing to make a big change in your life and envy you for having the opportunity to do it. Life is all about "pipe dreams". Go for it!

From all of the information that I have gathered regarding cost of living for the area...its seems doable...I really like older dwellings as far as a 'house" is concerned...they just seem to have more character to them. i guess the questions is..."is it affordable on an Executive Assistant's salary?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM

35 posts, read 128,811 times
As a recent transplant i have to say that yes it is doable, but DO NOT come here without a job in hand.The job situation is really bad right now - we thought we were ok since we were transferring our jobs when we moved, but DH's company pulled back the transfer after we arrived due to economic reasons.Since we didn't have a contract, we got shafted.I would hate to see others end up the same way.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,041,677 times
Quote:
From all of the information that I have gathered regarding cost of living for the area...its seems doable...I really like older dwellings as far as a 'house" is concerned...they just seem to have more character to them. i guess the questions is..."is it affordable on an Executive Assistant's salary?
Older dwelling...as in a house in one of Phoenix' historic districts? That depends on how much you will make as Executive Assistant. Those dwellings tend to remain pricy for one that has been restored, think few hundred thousand dollars minimum. Also, the historic districts near DT Phoenix have had the one of the LOWEST decreases in home values in Arizona where some suburbs have lost half of their value in resale. If you give more info. someone might be able to help you with more details.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Older dwelling...as in a house in one of Phoenix' historic districts? That depends on how much you will make as Executive Assistant. Those dwellings tend to remain pricy for one that has been restored, think few hundred thousand dollars minimum. Also, the historic districts near DT Phoenix have had the one of the LOWEST decreases in home values in Arizona where some suburbs have lost half of their value in resale. If you give more info. someone might be able to help you with more details.
When I say older dwelling i mean houses built from the 60's - through the 80's....not the historic district..I currently live in a modest 1962 brick ranch home(3bedrooms, 1 full bath, and 1/2 bath... What are some of the best companies to work for out in the Phoenix area... and is it as bad there as it is here.....

Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM

39,149 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
When I say older dwelling i mean houses built from the 60's - through the 80's....not the historic district..I currently live in a modest 1962 brick ranch home(3bedrooms, 1 full bath, and 1/2 bath... What are some of the best companies to work for out in the Phoenix area... and is it as bad there as it is here.....
Many houses from that genre are either junk or are in lousy areas. The homes have poor insulation (brick has a very low r-factor and it was common back then to not even furr the walls), lead in the paint, lead in the plumbing, and asbestos in the linoleum. Aluminum wiring was also used in some homes built during that time.

Historic (meaning pre WWII here) is a different story (well they can still be junk - but desirable junk).

Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,134,931 times
We purchased an older block home that was relatively cheap.

"Decent" neighborhood and not too far from work.

North Central Phoenix "kinda" on the west side...about a mile from the Glendale line.

We're puttin' some cash into it...but it's all good.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Current Job Market

Would you say the job market there is in better shape than the Charlotte, NC area....Just curious....

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,735,908 times
How would anyone know that? The only thing I would say is that you need to see if you can find the unemployment rate for the Charlotte metro and compare it to the Phoenix metro. If you can try to find numbers that specifically relate to your field of interest.

Start looking for jobs you're interested in in Phoenix and apply. That's about the only you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area