Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,917 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My wife and I are looking to moving to Arizona from Philadelphia. Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction! Plese bear with me, I do have a few questions. First, my wife and I are both 50 years old, no children. My wife is a family medical doctor. I am a Federal Agent. We would like to purchase a small rancher ( not a ranch) house. Are their ranchers in the Scottsdale area? If I choose to go to Arizona, my job would most likely take me to Phoenix. How far is Scottsdale from Phoenix? Are there any other nice suburban areas close to Phoenix that have ranchers or retirement communities over 55 that accept dogs?

Sorry for all the questions!

F.X.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
THere are MANY what we call "ranch style" houses in Scottsdale and in some really nice older neighborhoods in Phoenix itself. They do tend to be older homes, but many have been really nicely remodeled/refurbished but still retain the long, low ranch style look.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
what is the difference between a rancher and a ranch??...been out here for 34 years and have never thought there WAS a difference.....I'm thinking it's the typical shake-roof, front-patio, Calif-looking thing common in the 50s and 60s.....

though not suburban, the Arcadia area is full of ranch-style houses and is a very convenient location....house prices may start at around $300-400K for a fixer-upper, I think....maybe more....

ranch-style houses will be older here...the current trend is the faux-stucco, pink tile roof thing in a sea of similar looks....Tuscan, popular a few years ago, is fading....

Scottsdale is right next to Phoenix, but both are very spread out, so it could be miles between destinations...

now is a good time to buy, of course, and Scottsdale is among the pricier suburbs, but lots of variety exists - small lots, large lots, old, new, junk, pretentious, townhouses, apartments, horse property, teardowns....the Town of Paradise Valley is the ultimate area in the Phx area, and has some older ranch-style stuff ready for tear-down....the cheapest stuff in the T of PV will be valued for the land only, as a buyer will no doubt want their own custom place and be willing to tear down the old place......single-family in the T of PV will start at about $700K and that will NOT be a pretty place, but the location is the thing

Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
what is the difference between a rancher and a ranch??...been out here for 34 years and have never thought there WAS a difference.....I'm thinking it's the typical shake-roof, front-patio, Calif-looking thing common in the 50s and 60s.....

though not suburban, the Arcadia area is full of ranch-style houses and is a very convenient location....house prices may start at around $300-400K for a fixer-upper, I think....maybe more....

ranch-style houses will be older here...the current trend is the faux-stucco, pink tile roof thing in a sea of similar looks....Tuscan, popular a few years ago, is fading....

Scottsdale is right next to Phoenix, but both are very spread out, so it could be miles between destinations...

now is a good time to buy, of course, and Scottsdale is among the pricier suburbs, but lots of variety exists - small lots, large lots, old, new, junk, pretentious, townhouses, apartments, horse property, teardowns....the Town of Paradise Valley is the ultimate area in the Phx area, and has some older ranch-style stuff ready for tear-down....the cheapest stuff in the T of PV will be valued for the land only, as a buyer will no doubt want their own custom place and be willing to tear down the old place......single-family in the T of PV will start at about $700K and that will NOT be a pretty place, but the location is the thing
I think the OP just means they don't want a ranch (i.e, acreage, etc.)

Scottsdale does have a lot of these, there are some in the Town of Paradise Valley, too, but the above post is right, they are very pricey.

I grew up in the Arcadia area, where there are still lots of those houses-- I'm also thinking of north central Phoenix, from say Missouri north to Northern 24th St to 7th Avenue. Lots of really nice neighborhoods in there, full of the kind of house I think you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: