Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
These are not the changes that are occurring, you may have confused the changes that will be taking place:

1. Friday and Saturday services will extend until after 2 a.m. to accommodate bar/club goers. The last trains will leave the end of line stations at 2 a.m.
2. Fares will increase as follows, one way ticket $1.75 and was $1.25; All day pass will cost $3.50 and was $2.50 (this is due to a decrease in transportation revenue from lower sales tax collection...due to the economy)
3. One vehicle cars have been running, usually during game days to accommodate heavy traffic...what happens is that trains on game days are up to three cars long, a "follow up" train moves in to a stop where a three car train just left in order to handle the over flow. Some of these "follow up" trains are one or two cars long.

Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/press_releases/detail/new_fares_for_bus_and_rail_transit_riders_on_july_ 1/ - broken link)
Valley Metro | Welcome (http://www.valleymetro.org/press_releases/detail/metro_extends_weekend_service/ - broken link)
Valley Metro | Fare Increases FAQs
Valley Metro | Rider Alerts
Actually, joninaz is right this time, as much as I hate to admit it. Ridership is well above expectations, but fare revenues are below expectations, largely due to issues with employer-provided platinum passess. Those issues are being addressed, but in the interim, there is a shortfall in METRO Light Rail's operating budget. As he mentioned, there are two service changes being considered to address that shortfall: 1) running single-car trains during off-peak hours 2) reducing Sunday service frequency from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes. I'm not crazy about either change, but I'll accept both in order to preserve the late weekend hours just approved.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/139880 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Actually, joninaz is right this time, as much as I hate to admit it. Ridership is well above expectations, but fare revenues are below expectations, largely due to issues with employer-provided platinum passess. Those issues are being addressed, but in the interim, there is a shortfall in METRO Light Rail's operating budget. As he mentioned, there are two service changes being considered to address that shortfall: 1) running single-car trains during off-peak hours 2) reducing Sunday service frequency from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes. I'm not crazy about either change, but I'll accept both in order to preserve the late weekend hours just approved.

Metro considers smaller light-rail trains | eastvalleytribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/139880 - broken link)
Weekend trains arrivals do already arrive every 20 minutes during off peak hours, during the week as well:
Hours of Service
Weekdays
Hours. Trains begin the first full trip of the day at 4:35 a.m. at the Sycamore/Main station and at 4:40 a.m. at the Montebello/19th Ave station. The last full trips of the day begins at 11 p.m., arriving at the opposite end of the line at midnight. Get a PDF of our detailed service schedule. Please note that arrival times are estimates and the schedule is subject to change.
Frequency. Trains arrive every 10 minutes from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.; all other hours, every 20 minutes.

Weekends and holidays
Trains begin the first full trip of the day at 5 a.m. at the end-of-the-line stations. The last full trip of the day begins at 11 p.m., arriving at the opposite end of the line at midnight.
Frequency. Trains arrive every 15 minutes between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.; all other hours, every 20 minutes.
http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/how_to_ride/ (broken link)

Maybe there is just a detail I am misunderstanding. Anyway, I think they should consider very tasteful advertising on board. I like the wrapping they used for the NBA All Star GAme, but maybe something like flat screen tv's inside the train with digital ads??? I think it would be prettier than paper or sticker adds. However, one train cars would be a good idea. I think they look cute! LOL, and the one train cars are always full, which seems rather fiscally responsible. There are times on the weekends, especially Sunday when things die down considerably.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-02-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Weekend trains arrivals do already arrive every 20 minutes during off peak hours, during the week as well:
Hours of Service
Weekdays
Hours. Trains begin the first full trip of the day at 4:35 a.m. at the Sycamore/Main station and at 4:40 a.m. at the Montebello/19th Ave station. The last full trips of the day begins at 11 p.m., arriving at the opposite end of the line at midnight. Get a PDF of our detailed service schedule. Please note that arrival times are estimates and the schedule is subject to change.
Frequency. Trains arrive every 10 minutes from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.; all other hours, every 20 minutes.

Weekends and holidays
Trains begin the first full trip of the day at 5 a.m. at the end-of-the-line stations. The last full trip of the day begins at 11 p.m., arriving at the opposite end of the line at midnight.
Frequency. Trains arrive every 15 minutes between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.; all other hours, every 20 minutes.
Valley Metro | How to Ride (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail/how_to_ride/ - broken link)

Maybe there is just a detail I am misunderstanding. Anyway, I think they should consider very tasteful advertising on board. I like the wrapping they used for the NBA All Star GAme, but maybe something like flat screen tv's inside the train with digital ads??? I think it would be prettier than paper or sticker adds. However, one train cars would be a good idea. I think they look cute! LOL, and the one train cars are always full, which seems rather fiscally responsible. There are times on the weekends, especially Sunday when things die down considerably.
Ads are on the way. That was approved a while back.

As for Sunday hours, here's what's going on:

Now: 15 minutes between trains from 6 AM until 7 PM; 20 minutes between trains at other times

Under consideration: 20 minutes between trains all day

Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Ads are on the way. That was approved a while back.

As for Sunday hours, here's what's going on:

Now: 15 minutes between trains from 6 AM until 7 PM; 20 minutes between trains at other times

Under consideration: 20 minutes between trains all day
LOL, oh, duh!!! Ok, thats not too bad...however, I would love to save those 5 minutes on Sundays. They are considering digital ads???!!! Or just paper and sticker type ads?

Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
LOL, oh, duh!!! Ok, thats not too bad...however, I would love to save those 5 minutes on Sundays. They are considering digital ads???!!! Or just paper and sticker type ads?
Not sure. I think train wraps, like those used during the NBA All Star Game, are also a possibility. I actually thought those NBA train wraps were pretty cool.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Not sure. I think train wraps, like those used during the NBA All Star Game, are also a possibility. I actually thought those NBA train wraps were pretty cool.
Me too, they were very well designed and were not tacky at all!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 24,932 times
They'd better keep the trains running until at least 2 in the morning when all the bars close.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsideweezie View Post
They'd better keep the trains running until at least 2 in the morning when all the bars close.
That is what is going to happen starting July 1.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
20 minute intervals?

That is a hell of a lot better than waiting one hour for a bus on even McDowell, etc. for Saturday/Sunday.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:51 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Here is information about Valley Light Rail from the Diamondbacks's website:

Light rail operates 365 days a year serving riders in Phoenix, Mesa, and Tempe. Trains run every 15-20 minutes and drops you off within walking distance of Chase Field. Light rail is designed to carry a large amount of people heading to games or events.

Buy your light rail fare at any light rail station with cash, credit, or debit card. If traveling to and from Chase Field, purchase an all-day pass to avoid lines at fare vending machines after the game. Once you activate your pass, it's good for unlimited boardings the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area