Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM

34 posts, read 204,567 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I just found this site today and it has made for some interesting reading. I currently live in SE Michigan and own a drywall contracting business. I have seen the steady decline of building in our state for the last 3 or 4 years, and it's time to make a change. My wife and I took a trip to the Phoenix area in February, and have determined that we should try to make a go of things there.

Currently we live in a small town, approx. 8000, although the sprawl from the Detroit suburbs is creeping our way. I commute to my jobsites anywhere from 35-50 minutes away, so the thought of driving is not an issue. I would like to know where the largest concentration of building is located and where the future development is likely to be.

As far as a community to live, we like the beauty of the Superstition Mountain/Apache Junction area. We stayed at my brother's place in Queen Creek/Johnson Ranch, which also was nice but quite far from everything, although we did find a nice Chicago-style Italian Beef restaurant there (and Burrito Shack- yum!). We also visited some friends in North Glendale and that was appealing as well.

So, any help or advice would surely be welcome.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy1960 View Post
Hi all, I just found this site today and it has made for some interesting reading. I currently live in SE Michigan and own a drywall contracting business. I have seen the steady decline of building in our state for the last 3 or 4 years, and it's time to make a change. My wife and I took a trip to the Phoenix area in February, and have determined that we should try to make a go of things there.

Currently we live in a small town, approx. 8000, although the sprawl from the Detroit suburbs is creeping our way. I commute to my jobsites anywhere from 35-50 minutes away, so the thought of driving is not an issue. I would like to know where the largest concentration of building is located and where the future development is likely to be.

As far as a community to live, we like the beauty of the Superstition Mountain/Apache Junction area. We stayed at my brother's place in Queen Creek/Johnson Ranch, which also was nice but quite far from everything, although we did find a nice Chicago-style Italian Beef restaurant there (and Burrito Shack- yum!). We also visited some friends in North Glendale and that was appealing as well.

Thanks.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the majority of residential building is going on in the outlying areas, since the inner areas are pretty built up. I think a lot of the new homes/condos are going up in places like Buckeye (southwest), Queen Creek (southeast), Surprise (northwest), South Phoenix and the "Baseline Corridor" (transitional area), east Mesa, Maricopa, etc.

As for commerical building, there is a lot of development going on in those same areas above, as well as Gilbert (southeast) and Goodyear (southwest).

Regarding living in places like Apache Junction, you want to consider their proximity to possible areas where you would be working. I realize that travel doesn't matter too much to you, but if you're working in any of the West Valley cities (Surprise, Goodyear, Avondale, Buckeye, Litchfield Park, even parts of Glendale and Peoria), you're looking at well over an hour's drive to/from Apache Junction during NON-RUSH HOUR. Same with Queen Creek. Phoenix is very spread out, so if you're thinking of living in an area that is far from the center of town to begin with (like Apache Junction or Queen Creek), it makes it that much further for you to travel to get to cities on the other side of the Valley. Just wanted to give you a head's up.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do know that it took us an hour and a half to get from Queen Creek to Sky Harbor Airport on the Tuesday morning when we left. I'll be heading back in early May to look for work, so I guess we'll see where I end up getting a job. I'm confident that no matter where I end up working, I'll find someplace attractive to live.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:13 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,216 times
Go on the large builders web site and look at their maps. Try KB Homes, Pulte, Shea, Richmond American, DR Horton, Toll Brothers (Mainly in North Scottsdale), and US Homes. Most the concentrations of construction is taking place in the SE valley and NW valley. Laveen also has a good amount of new builds going on south of downtown near Baseline/Dobbins and 30th AVE/65thAVE.

Maricopa is seeing large developments along with Queen Creek, Florence (Pinal County), Gilbert, and South Chandler. All these towns are easy comutes of Apache Junction and the 101/60 freeways. I would also consider living in South Tempe or Chandler and comutes wouldn't be bad.

In the Northwest Valley Surprise is growing rapidly, along with Buckeye which is about 45 miles west of downtown of I-10. These would be a long long drive from the East Valley.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:39 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Go on the large builders web site and look at their maps. Try KB Homes, Pulte, Shea, Richmond American, DR Horton, Toll Brothers (Mainly in North Scottsdale), and US Homes. Most the concentrations of construction is taking place in the SE valley and NW valley. Laveen also has a good amount of new builds going on south of downtown near Baseline/Dobbins and 30th AVE/65thAVE.

Maricopa is seeing large developments along with Queen Creek, Florence (Pinal County), Gilbert, and South Chandler. All these towns are easy comutes of Apache Junction and the 101/60 freeways. I would also consider living in South Tempe or Chandler and comutes wouldn't be bad.

In the Northwest Valley Surprise is growing rapidly, along with Buckeye which is about 45 miles west of downtown of I-10. These would be a long long drive from the East Valley.

You should also check out the SW Valley (Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye), as it has a ton of construction going on right now. SW Valley and SE Valley are probably the busiest, in terms of new residential developments, and new commercial development going up.

Other prominent builders in the Phoenix metro to check out:

Beazer, TW Lewis, Ashton Woods, Engle, Morrison, K Hovnanian, Meritage, Elliott, Equity, Cachet, PB Bell, Standard Pacific, and Scott Comunities.

There are many others, as well, who specialize in custom builds and commercial real estate. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2007, 03:25 PM

25 posts, read 99,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy1960 View Post

Thanks.
Simple as that: come in the valley, look around. Housing will go down in Arizona also. I do not believe will go up again that soon, salaries and wages are in Arizona lower at list 15-18% compare to SC, and 18-25% compare to NE USA.
Make math by your self.
If you are moving in Arizona, welcome!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,031 times
Ditch your coats & buy LOTS of shorts! lol

Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I have to say that after visiting in February and experiencing 70* temps, then coming back to MI where we're STILL in the
50*s(if we're lucky!), I'm really liking this "Dry Heat" idea more and more. I plan to travel back out in early May and stay a couple weeks trying to line up a job. We're actually listing our house for sale today and hopefully we can move it in 60-90 days.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 AM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,126 times
I've read that there is a ton of development planned in Buckeye on the west side of the White Tank mountains. If you choose that area, you should have years of work available.

Also, remember that June, July, and August are nothing like February, and May is 10 degrees cooler (on average) than those three months.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Thumbs up Update!

Wow, how things can change! I was just looking at my last post in April, remarking about listing our house for sale. Well, it sold in a week and a day, full asking price! We are closing on the 25th of May, and have to be out by the 31st! So, needless to say, it's been hectic around here. We will be renting my brother's place in QC while I find employment, and then determine where we will look to buy. I am so jazzed about moving, I can't believe it. Keep the advice coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area