Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 16,749 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I will be attending ASU in the fall and may be living in family housing in Mesa. Does anyone have any experience living in the family housing? What are the pros and cons of the housing and would I be better off leasing a single family house closer to ASU Tempe? Thank you to anyone who responds in advance

Last edited by shania3908; 06-16-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,483 times
Pro:
*house is cheap
*water, cable & internet included
*Quite
*We get weather (it rains more and gets colder at night)
*The area and local wild life is nice to look at.
*Stores within driving distance
Con:
*The Drive is long. I live on ASU East (Poly) and work on ASU Main (Tempe Campus).
*Houses are really old and some are in bad shape
*Insulation is questionable and it is hard to keep some rooms cool in the summer or warm in the winter
*Utilities can be high because of the insulation
*housing service is not all that great. Housing is run by a outside for profit vendor not ASU (and it shows)
*Nothing within walking distance. You must drive everywhere.
*No digital services. The cable is free but its plain basic cable. You can't get digital cable. (no TV guide, HD, music channels, HBO or On Demand)
*Internet service is not thought ASU (This would have been great), but thought Cox and the service is really slow and doesn't work a lot of the time. I finally had to buy my own service though Cox and then complain that it wasn't working to get it fixed. You’re not suppose to get your own service and there are all types of threats from housing about the trouble you'll be in if you try.
*The housing company is looking for money and trying to find new and creative ways to fine people (see housing check below)
*Housing always want to come into your house when you’re not there to check on something (Check the lead paint, check the fire extinguisher, check the water, check the CO2 levels the list goes on.)
*Housing never answers there phone or calls you back

In all ASU housing is cheap and is ok to live in. I really don't like the housing company and wish ASU would cancel their contract take it over again. For those of you who will ask why don't you move? I am moving. ASU housing was a great place to weather the housing storm and I am thankful for that.
Good luck in school and I wish you the best.

Last edited by OneTimePoster; 06-16-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM

5 posts, read 16,749 times
Thank so much on your insight! I have a much better view about family housing now. Since I will be attending the Tempe campus, do you know of any areas that are close to the school but lack the young students? Thank you!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,009 times
shania i am in the exact same boat, with an approved application to family housing in the fall. i'm starting to realize that it will be impossible to get back from school everyday in time for the gilbert school district to get out and p/u my daughter, so I'm really looking near asu. FYI if you have school aged children then they are in the higley school district if living on fam housing,, and higley isn't performing the same as gilbert schools.

Thanks to the person who posted an answer for your question, I too have a much better idea of what fam housing is like. I'm torn.

good luck.. i hoope someone else can chime in and recommend some alternatives. maybe this is against fair housing, but it seems like an apartment complex with older students and families in downtown tempe is really needed.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,402 times
Just wanted to say that I am moving to WFH in a couple of months. I have 4 girls and put MUCH thought into this. The schools, Gateway Pointe Elementary and Higley High, are actually excelling now, which is the highest score possible in AZ. I'll probably save lots in gas, since my kids will get buses to school (they don't now) and I can take the bulk of my classes at Polytechnic. I'm not concerned about stores not being within driving distance. That is typical for the state and once it hits 100 degrees, and stays that way for 7 months, NOTHING is walking distance. I'm not worried about the cable or internet either, because that is what my husband does for a living. I have seen the houses and can see that they are older and don't doubt that some may be in bad shape. I also believe the electric will be high. Mainly, because I currently live in an older apt. with the same issues of a/c not running efficiently, resulting in sky high bills. So yes, I am expecting that. The difference is that I am paying hundreds more a month here, plus everything else, and in the 10 months I've lived here my daughter was abducted (she's safe now), a body was found in our dumpster, and there was a shoot out beneath our kids' window! (I live in Peoria, it's not even "that bad") So yes, I am moving, for the safe and, hopefully, positive environment for my kids. I'm not expecting luxury, but that's okay.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 PM

137 posts, read 520,289 times
Is this all still current? Esp family housing at Poly?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,402 times
yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area