Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,967,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Maybe light rail is "too tacky" for the Scottsdale mayor

That light rail is a crock of crap anyway. It will have no effect on anything.
That whole Phoenix area is so behind on roads it's ridiculous. When I moved there in 88 we had 2 freeways the 17 and the 60. Every year these people would vote down the new freeways until it was finally too late and they had no choice.

Your right though light rail is probably too tacky for Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM

639 posts, read 2,714,053 times
The light rail system will work well if done right.

What needs to happen in Phoenix is commuter rail. If Phoenix had commuter rail lines feeding into downtown from the West Valley, North Valley, East Valley, and Southeast Valley (Maricopa, Casa Grande, and onto Tucson) it would do wonders. The tracks are there, all that needs to be done in some cases is add another rail, build stations, and negotiate with Union Pacific. This all should have been done back in the late 80's to early 90's when Phoenix started exploding.

New Mexico has commuter rail, give me a break.

Instead Phoenix is building bigger freeways that do nothing but add to the sprawl and take away from the city center.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post

What needs to happen in Phoenix is commuter rail. If Phoenix had commuter rail lines feeding into downtown from the West Valley, North Valley, East Valley, and Southeast Valley (Maricopa, Casa Grande, and onto Tucson) it would do wonders. The tracks are there, all that needs to be done in some cases is add another rail, build stations, and negotiate with Union Pacific. This all should have been done back in the late 80's to early 90's when Phoenix started exploding.

Instead Phoenix is building bigger freeways that do nothing but add to the sprawl and take away from the city center.

Yeah yeah yeah I know I know but that's what's happening. They keep getting further out on these fringes like Florence and Maricopa, Casa Grande, Estrella. They are just recently trying to to get something going downtown. It's pretty sad that the downtown area has been ignored. Whenever we have conventions in town they go to Scottsdale. The bottom line is it's gonna take awhile to get the whole concept of downtown Phoenix in motion. It's in the works but who knows how long it will take to get it all together.

I see new builders are coming in now and are going to build even further out past Estrella and not only that but who the heck is buying in Anthem east with these gas prices?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 AM

132 posts, read 517,577 times
Quote:

First of all , the light rail will work and its going to be more successful than anyone imagined. But lets not argue about that, we will just wait and see
Second, I disagree with you on adding commuter rail lines. I think that will only add to sprawl. Phoenix isn't ready for that. Right now the market is shifting and more people are looking to live in vibrant urban areas, thus the demand for downtown. Lets work on infill then once the core is built out the city will be forced to sprawl out more. I think adding commuter rail now would be to early and would damage the downtown momentum. A better idea for Phoenix is the Portland model. Implement some urban growth boudaries, that would stop the sprawl.

Quote:
Yeah yeah yeah I know I know but that's what's happening. They keep getting further out on these fringes like Florence and Maricopa, Casa Grande, Estrella. They are just recently trying to to get something going downtown. It's pretty sad that the downtown area has been ignored. Whenever we have conventions in town they go to Scottsdale. The bottom line is it's gonna take awhile to get the whole concept of downtown Phoenix in motion. It's in the works but who knows how long it will take to get it all together.

I see new builders are coming in now and are going to build even further out past Estrella and not only that but who the heck is buying in Anthem east with these gas prices?
Downtown hasn't been ignored by everyone, if fact there is a long history of downtown revitalization plans for Phoenix. The city has tried over and over again to create some kind of reaction with big projects like BOB, obviously these didn't work. The problem has always been the real estate market. Phoenix has always had the room to go out and its much cheaper for developers and home buyers to develop and buy on the fringe. It is only recently that Phoenix is finally meeting its balance point. People are less willing to live on the fringe because of commute time, traffic , gas etc... So there is finally a market for downtown. I know everyone is bashing the idea and thinks its all a bunch of hype but just take a trip downtown and look at what's going on. ASU, hotels, highrise condos, light rail. Go look at downtown Tempe! It's not just hype, its happening! Now obviously its going to take time, cities don't get built over night. I think once that light rail is done, Scottsdale will be left in the dark for all the yuppies to live in solitude. That is probably a good thing, Old town is over rated anyway. I much prefer downtown Phoenix even its current condition.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj81 View Post
First of all , the light rail will work and its going to be more successful than anyone imagined. But lets not argue about that, we will just wait and see
Second, I disagree with you on adding commuter rail lines. I think that will only add to sprawl. Phoenix isn't ready for that. Right now the market is shifting and more people are looking to live in vibrant urban areas, thus the demand for downtown. Lets work on infill then once the core is built out the city will be forced to sprawl out more. I think adding commuter rail now would be to early and would damage the downtown momentum. A better idea for Phoenix is the Portland model. Implement some urban growth boudaries, that would stop the sprawl.

Downtown hasn't been ignored by everyone, if fact there is a long history of downtown revitalization plans for Phoenix. The city has tried over and over again to create some kind of reaction with big projects like BOB, obviously these didn't work. The problem has always been the real estate market. Phoenix has always had the room to go out and its much cheaper for developers and home buyers to develop and buy on the fringe. It is only recently that Phoenix is finally meeting its balance point. People are less willing to live on the fringe because of commute time, traffic , gas etc... So there is finally a market for downtown. I know everyone is bashing the idea and thinks its all a bunch of hype but just take a trip downtown and look at what's going on. ASU, hotels, highrise condos, light rail. Go look at downtown Tempe! It's not just hype, its happening! Now obviously its going to take time, cities don't get built over night. I think once that light rail is done, Scottsdale will be left in the dark for all the yuppies to live in solitude. That is probably a good thing, Old town is over rated anyway. I much prefer downtown Phoenix even its current condition.

I agree with everything you just said except I don't prefer downtown Phoenix to anything.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 AM

639 posts, read 2,714,053 times
I agree commuter rail could actually add to the sprawl, however it isn't going to stop any time soon and they should add the rail lines sonner than later so that traffic isn't worse than L.A.! Commuter rail is present in most every major city, evan the car happy L.A. has it now. Boston and NYC has had it for decades and it does nothing but help the economy.

Downtonw Phoenix may be the place to be in 5-10 years, but currently there is nothing going for it besides the stadium, arena and some arts. On saturday night I went to a show at the Dodge Theater (easily the best venue in the valley) and after the show we literally walked the entire CBD and found nothing going on. Evan on game nights the city dies shortly after the games. It is sad that smaller cities like my hometown of Hartford has more going on for it at night.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,740 times
Question new to AZ, AJ is nice for all ages, lots better than Las Vegas

The initial reason I'm at this forum at 2:00 am is that my nine yr old son
woke up at 1:00 with a severe croup-like cough, breathing difficulties,
chest and bronchial congestion. We just moved here from Vegas three
weeks ago, for lots of reasons. We tried living here two years ago but
went back to Vegas because that's where his dad is. When we lived here
two years ago, it was in the fall, actually we came in October and then
stayed until April. I'm wondering if it's something about the Arizona dry
air here, or maybe the type of cactus or plants?
My parents are retired and have a nice condo here in Apache Junction.
I really like the Apache Junction area, but there apparently aren't city
buses, Mesa is nice, also, with some bus routes.
In Apache Junction there is a rural feel and small town kindof feeling.
People seem very friendly and lots of older folks walk all the time,
pretty much anywhere, depending on your physical health. My parents
live here for the fall and winter, until the end of April: then go back
to their home in the Midwest, where they've lived all their lives (and
where I was born, raised, and went to college)
Good luck with finding the right neighborhood. Scottsdale seems too
rich for my blood. Seems like you would need big bucks there.
One of my brothers is in Phoenix. Has a nice home there and likes it.
I've visited Tempe and wnet to a New Years Eve at Tempe Town Lake
which was great. Very mellow and family oriented for a college town.
Tempe seems like an excellent choice.
Anyway. Can anyone offer advice about possible allergies or causes
for the congestion, croup like bronchial problems that my son is
experiencing here in central AZ? My parents are older, and they don't
have health problems here. The school nurse said it's most likely
allergies. He didn't have these breathing issues in Vegas (which is
definitely not better air quality)
Please offer any advise or info that might help. There's nothing more
troubling for a single mom than having a sick child, and not knowing
what to do to make him feel and get better. and worried

Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 12,740 times
Hey sorry about the lenght on that one. Try to forgive me, I'm new,
also worried about my son. Been reading this Valley Fever stuff.
Very interesting. So, what's the cure? Any natural cures, herbal
remedies, or over the counter helps, or do we need the DR?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 AM

132 posts, read 517,577 times
You many want to post a new thread on the Phoenix main page. I'm sure someone will have something to help you out. Your question is just way off the topic of this thread.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks1070az View Post
Hey sorry about the lenght on that one. Try to forgive me, I'm new,
also worried about my son. Been reading this Valley Fever stuff.
Very interesting. So, what's the cure? Any natural cures, herbal
remedies, or over the counter helps, or do we need the DR?

I agree AJ is better than Vegas having lived there for 1 year ran back to AZ as fast as I could. Still you may want to consider a different area. Maybe move in a little more west and south like around Crimson south of Baseline in East Mesa. It's in the Gilbert school district and you can rent something affordable there. Drive around and take a look.

Valley Fever is a real thing and it shouldn't be overlooked. I got a very bad case of it my first year in Phoenix. It also maybe the pollution or just a change in general. I know my husband had extremly bad allergies in Phx and his allergies turned into phemonia several times. He had to take shots for it. He got to the point in Phoenix where he said he was having trouble breathing. I know my mother who is 80 lives in Mesa and is constantly coughing and choking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area