Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,081,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderyukon View Post
Why the fridge?
No reason to leave it on, right?

Ifya leave the door closed with the power off, then when ya come back......

.....you'll see so many different kinda mold colors....

kinda cool....unless you're the one that has to clean it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:29 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
If leaving for the summer you should seriously consider turning off the air completely. It doesn't make any sense to leave it on if no one will be occupying the house. Wood will not warp, toilets won't crack and insects won't infest since it would make more sense for most insects, even in the desert, to clamor for a cool, damp space rather than a hot, dry one.

Candles won't melt since the average lowest grade paraffin container candle wax begins to liquify at 130° F. All native Arizonan's I know, which includes most of my family, do not leave the air on if gone for more than a day. This would be an ideal time to insure your insulation is still relevant and doing its job. Also, ensure windows are covered and this is especially true for older, lower count pane windows. I remember reading on an APS newsletter last year (I think) in which it was stated that a typical home in Phoenix will stay within a range of 90-100° without air conditioning in the hot summer months. 90-100° is plenty safe for everything in your house that doesn't depend on water or the fridge to survive or stay fresh. Most electronics note to avoid prolonged exposure of temps over 120° and/or direct sunlight; neither of which will be a problem in your home in the summer.

It should only take 2-3 hours for newer 10-20 S.E.E.R. rated air conditioners in Phoenix to cool a house from 100° to 80° and can take a little longer, up to 4-5 hours, for older and lower S.E.E.R. rated units. IT SHOULD NOT TAKE ALL DAY OR HALF A DAY for your house to cool. If it does then you have a problem.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Turning it completely off if you are gone for "more than a day"? Well, this practically native Arizonan wouldn't go that far. For one thing, the strain on the refrigerator to keep food cool if the air is off completely is not worth it. It's generally advised NOT to turn it completely off for relatively short term vacations, etc. For the whole summer, that's a different story -- then you could consider either option.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Turning it completely off if you are gone for "more than a day"? Well, this practically native Arizonan wouldn't go that far. For one thing, the strain on the refrigerator to keep food cool if the air is off completely is not worth it. It's generally advised NOT to turn it completely off for relatively short term vacations, etc. For the whole summer, that's a different story -- then you could consider either option.
Not so, although I was being a little broad in scope, if leaving for more than a day the cost of turning off the central air system in comparison to worrying about the fridge running a little longer to cool food is comparing nickels and dimes to paper money. Typically, a high efficiency, energy star, or efficient fridge built within the decade will operate effectively in a warm/relatively "hot" home but cooling a house just to save pocket change is something to consider; even for a 24-72 hour period. The bulk of desert regions of Arizona summer energy bills is from air conditioning a home. Unlike a house, a fridge is a very stable and self contained environment when the doors are not constantly being opened. So with everyone gone for the day, or two, or three there really isn't much to worry about.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
I still think that, while on a vacation, it's better to leave it on in the 80's than to turn it off altogether, and it cools down again once you get home a bit quicker too. If it gets up in the high 110s during the time away, I'd want the thermostat set on 85 or so.

To each his own. Some have old fridges and/or ACs, some have newer, some houses are well insulated/shaded, some are not. All sorts of factors to consider, but I think this subject has been fully discussed.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM
YAZ

Off topic but .....

Tip:

Leave a bowl of ice cubes in the freezer.

You can easily tell if there was a power outage if you've been gone for a while.

Ain't nuthin' like wakin' up the day after your vacation and pouring spoiled milk on your cornflakes.

Of course, we try to empty the fridge as much as we can before going anywhere.....

Old 07-02-2009, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 135,542 times
I wouldn't leave the a/c off completely - I'd keep it on 85 or so.

A friend of mine turned hers off for a week's vacation, and came home to a house full of roaches. It was ugly.

Not worth the risk if you ask me...

Old 07-02-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfez View Post
I wouldn't leave the a/c off completely - I'd keep it on 85 or so.

A friend of mine turned hers off for a week's vacation, and came home to a house full of roaches. It was ugly.

Not worth the risk if you ask me...
The roaches didn't come out because the air was off; they were already there and found the lack of humans a perfect time to throw a "coming out" party! LOL gross! Your friend, while probably a clean person was unaware of the pests that were already in her walls or hidden from plain sight. With the lights off and pancaking feet, slippers, or other instruments of death gone the roaches felt safe to take over and obviously there was a food source for them left out which wasn't a wise decision. Food items should be secured, used, or removed before leaving your house for long periods of time.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The roaches didn't come out because the air was off; they were already there and found the lack of humans a perfect time to throw a "coming out" party! LOL gross! Your friend, while probably a clean person was unaware of the pests that were already in her walls or hidden from plain sight. With the lights off and pancaking feet, slippers, or other instruments of death gone the roaches felt safe to take over and obviously there was a food source for them left out which wasn't a wise decision. Food items should be secured, used, or removed before leaving your house for long periods of time.
After moving to Phoenix, I learned real quick to keep the garbage disposer clean.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:06 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,928 times
I'm gone for extended periods of time, and currently have the thermostat set in the 70s. I'm working in California and will be back home in Phoenix this August around 9pm on a Friday night. My bedroom is very slow to cool down. I won't be able to sleep if I have to start from 85.

As for bugs, I have my apartment interior sprayed once per month. Last year I was home every other weekend all year. So this is going to be "interesting" when I'm back. The bug spraying will be done again a few days before I return in August!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area