Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 PM

88 posts, read 221,552 times

Advertisements

Jumping Cactus. Watch out for these bad boys, they will certainly ruin your day

Cylindropuntia fulgida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.davidshome.net/Saguaro/P1000024.jpg

On a side note: if you are going to hike, don't hike in sandals or bare feet, or try to conquer Echo Canyon in the dead of summer or with no previous hiking experience. I've seen the rescue chopper over there at least 50 times in the past 6-8 months. About 25% of the time at night. My friend rescued a stranded child on Mummy Mountain, who had been up there in sandals with no water for 2 hours alone. The Temp. was around 100. One of the security guys who was up there, apparently told the father, "this isn't Cleveland pal"

Just some advice for ya newbies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:14 PM

310 posts, read 1,160,415 times
Be careful as well when taking your dog hiking in these hot temps!! they need lots of water as well. Also, a Park Ranger once told me always bring a fine tooth comb when hiking with pets incase they rub up against the jumping cholla- you can use the comb to "pop" off the cactus and not prick yourself!!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:17 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Actually the comb is equally effective on people as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:38 PM

88 posts, read 221,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgirl151 View Post
Be careful as well when taking your dog hiking in these hot temps!! they need lots of water as well. Also, a Park Ranger once told me always bring a fine tooth comb when hiking with pets incase they rub up against the jumping cholla- you can use the comb to "pop" off the cactus and not prick yourself!!
Damn, I wish I knew this before I had a 5"X 3" one stuck very firmly in my calf, lol.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Whether it be some lovely jumping cholla needles in their feet, or a bite from a rattler, people who hike in sandals are just asking for problems. Hiking in the heat is another story. Wear long sleeved, loose, breatheable fabrics (preferably white in color), a wide-brimmed hat to keep that sun off your head, and sturdy hiking shoes. A light backpack filled with LOTS of water (which as youll find out gets very warm real fast) and a small first-aid kit, as well as a cellphone and a hiking stick is also handy. Ive hiked Camelback (1/2 way up) in mid-June and it was ridiculously hot. We were well prepared, but its still one of the most taxing things youll ever experience. What was funny was that we actually had some thick leather gardening gloves on us (we handle all sorts of creepy crawlers) that came in handy when we reached the metal railing part of the trail. That doggone railing had to be 250 degrees sitting there baking in the sun. lol I wore the right glove and walked on the left side of the railing and my brother wore the left glove and walked on the right side of the railing. lol

Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM

382 posts, read 1,355,832 times
Don't sit on rocks without checking all around or under them (if possible), and always bring extra water.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
And tell people where you will be, what time you plan on returning, etc.

You can be in great shape, wear the proper attire, and have plenty of water.

A bonk on the head changes everything.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
if you are trying a new area do not go unarmed. unpopular hiking routes can be used for human trafficking, and you may not be around long enough to tell anyone about it if you run into them.

A few members of my offroad club came across an abandoned old airfield about a year ago. the runway was marked with foil, and there was a bag of white powder with other "tools of the trade" near it. there was also a pile of used shoes, telling that this area was used for smuggling drugs and people into the country. needless to say they did not stick around to ask questions.

Being this close to the international border you must be alert when traveling in remote areas, your life depends on it.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
There is a heat advisory this weekend. We are just entering the hottest part of the summer. Do not go hiking unless you are going to go early in the morning (read leave your home before sunrise).
After 10AM you are asking for heat related problems.
For you newbies the heat breaks in late September.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of the Desert View Post
Jumping Cactus. Watch out for these bad boys, they will certainly ruin your day

Cylindropuntia fulgida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.davidshome.net/Saguaro/P1000024.jpg

On a side note: if you are going to hike, don't hike in sandals or bare feet, or try to conquer Echo Canyon in the dead of summer or with no previous hiking experience. I've seen the rescue chopper over there at least 50 times in the past 6-8 months. About 25% of the time at night. My friend rescued a stranded child on Mummy Mountain, who had been up there in sandals with no water for 2 hours alone. The Temp. was around 100. One of the security guys who was up there, apparently told the father, "this isn't Cleveland pal"

Just some advice for ya newbies.
lol my dad hated that stuff when growing up. He told me on a few accounts that he was "caught" by one of these cactus. Whenever he decides to move down here, he will be demolishing all of them on his land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area