Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM

9 posts, read 55,183 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 college graduate looking to get away from the crumbling economy and mundane lifestyle of Western Michigan. I have a degree in Network Security and about three years of experience in IT as a Network Technician. My career ambitions are to work for a progressive company as a Security administrator/engineer/analyst/. As you might imagine, I'm single with no kids or family dependencies.

I would love to move to SoCal, but don't think the regional gains are worth the financial sacrifices. Thus, I'm looking at other parts of the country that offer similar amenities for a lower cost. I'm particularly looking at Phoenix, Austin and the Chicago burbs. Chicago burbs seem to be the obvious choice due to vicinity, but in the back of mind I desire to get away from the hostile winters and dreariness.

Things that are important to me:

* Cost of living
* Career opportunities in IT
* Social attitudes
* Diversity
* Young Professional scene
* Politics
* Advancement

If any of you have lived in any of the above mentioned locales, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,181,617 times
I love the Chicago burbs! We may move up there one day, just not sure if I want to leave my hometown of phx. I believe if I leave I will be missing out on a great city one day. With all the cool stuff finally coming in I think down the road Phx will be an awesome place and maybe my house will appreciate a lot. However, I could be wrong and it ends up being Mexico City or something? Don't know. I have never been to Austin but due to these boards hear it's a nice place.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Austin's a nice city, but the humidity is a deal killer in my book. You are probably more used to having wet air. I don't really care to be anywhere east of the Mississippi. Austin is probably more fun than Phx I think for young people although you can find plenty of trouble around here if you want to. Go to Austin first and then move here when you have a family and if you want a suburban, backyard, soccer and t-ball, 24-screen movie theater, cheap family dining etc. lifestyle.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,409,231 times
Austin is a better city and there are more things to do. The summers are bad but the summers are bad in Phoenix as well.

Phoenix is a big burb without a downtown. More Southern California feel to it than Austin. Both are nice during the winter but you will get a little more diversity in Austin (trust me, you get to appreciate it). I don't think Austin's job market is as hot, but probably much better in IT (the real money in Phoenix still seems to be based on real estate).

I would go with Austin, but that's just me.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,196,221 times
Hello -- Congratulations on your graduation! It is a big decision to think about leaving since Michigan is such a beautiful place. I hope somehow the economy gets straightened out in the area. We live in Glendale, AZ and like it very much; hubby and I both grew up in the Chicago area. If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider Boise -- it is a wonderful town with a much better climate than Phoenix. Salt Lake City has a very nice climate also; most of the snow is up in the mountains so winter in the city is not bad. I have not heard anything bad about Austin -- it is pretty with gently rolling hills and is very green. Texas is, however, like Arizona, next to Mexico, so there are some immigration issues. Phoenix is HUGE but has many good qualities also. If I were considering Chicago, I would think about Oak Park. Elmhurst, or LaGrange. They are pretty, homey towns and are close-in. The midwest also has a lower divorce rate and some good family values. Michigan is beautiful if you can find employment. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: