Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,977 times

Advertisements

Let's not jump to conclusions I have heard nothing about refusing to give the boy water or anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,470,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Let's not jump to conclusions I have heard nothing about refusing to give the boy water or anything of the sort.
Here's the report of a refusal of water. It's hearsay, though, and therefore not necessarily reliable:

14-year-old boy dies after hike in South Mountain area - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Here's the report of a refusal of water. It's hearsay, though, and therefore not. necessarily reliable:

14-year-old boy dies after hike in South Mountain area - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com
Hmm I guess there have been conflicting news reports. On channel 3 news today they said he collapsed and they used the last 7-8 water bottles on him

Old 07-21-2009, 03:26 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,958 times
Quote:
Hmm I guess there have been conflicting news reports. On channel 3 news today they said he collapsed and they used the last 7-8 water bottles on him
All the news channels and newspapers have reported the same thing; that they ran out of water long before the hike was over and refused water from fellow hikers and actually becoming annoyed with one who offered.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Quote:
Even if true, by the time someone collapses, that isn't going to help.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,171,593 times
The sad thing is that if the parents did restrict water from the boy, I wouldn't be surprised.

It reminds me of a stupid football coach I had in high school who would make us wait 90 minutes for a water break during practices, no matter how hot it was. The players hated him and now he is gone because a player had to be hospitalized due to dehydration.

If you take moronic adults who are so fixated on the "tough love" approach and mix them with young people, bad things will usually happen.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,712,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Fined? I somehow find that completely unacceptable. The parents need to be charged with murder if everything that has been said (refusal of water, screaming at him) turns out to be true. As a matter of fact, I'm all for saving some money, and giving them the same inhumane treatment/death their son received.
I must have miscommunicated to you folks improperly. Usually in a trial with many factors there are multiple charges. These two are few of the many that could be brought to this kid's mother.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
hmm, there is more to this story. The mother was crying and yelling for him to GET UP (she was panicked). The group used all their water trying to cool him down when he went down from heat exhaust. Since they had to wait 30-40 minutes for help, the group was treated for dehydration (because they used all their water on the kid). The media captured the "facts" about as well as the Paparazzi on Lindsay Lohan.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:39 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSALIVE View Post
hmm, there is more to this story. The mother was crying and yelling for him to GET UP (she was panicked). The group used all their water trying to cool him down when he went down from heat exhaust. Since they had to wait 30-40 minutes for help, the group was treated for dehydration (because they used all their water on the kid). The media captured the "facts" about as well as the Paparazzi on Lindsay Lohan.
So the boy dies of DEHYDRATION, but these people were all "frantic" and "panicking" at the end when the boy was dying??? That makes sense...OH wait, no it doesn't.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
They didn't bring enough water IN THE FIRST PLACE for the whole group to be out for FOUR AND A HALF HOURS hiking in South Mountain Park, where there is NO shade and the trails are hardly flat, on a hot day. By the time he collapsed, he was probably too far gone even if they had accepted water from anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: