Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM

133 posts, read 376,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I don't see it that way, it doesn't apply to your primary residence. People who walked away from a home should know better. Who took the brunt of your actions, or do you care. When you dumped your house it became one of those "Toxic Assets" that destroyed the economy

It CAN apply to your primary home as it only applies to single family residences and duplexes. The stipulation is that you must have live in the home CONTINUOUSLY for the previous six months. If the bank kicks you out and forecloses after you and your family have moved out, they will go after the money. The reason this law was not previously written is because it was commonly accepted law that the bank is accepted the mortgaged property as collateral for the loan, so whatever they get from that collateral fulfills the contract. At least that is my understanding.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:17 AM

133 posts, read 376,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
I don't know how folks sleep at night when they do such things. A contact is a contract and to default when you can afford to pay is immoral and we all end up paying the bill. I am upside down on my house but I would never ever walk away!! I will sit it out until the market turns and if it doesn't then it is just the risk that I took. I bought my home to live in and that is exactly what I will do. Sorry I don't mean to rant but my home value continues to slide because of sleazy individuals who walk away when they can afford to pay and it just pisses me off big time.
In case you aren't aware, it was not individuals as much as individuals hiding behind LLCs who held much of the bad money mortgages in this state and just walkedaway without any repercussions. They did collect the mortgage money from renters, put it in their pockets, defaulted on the loans and filed bankruptcy for their LLC. Then they just created another LLC to do the same thing. We have to take away the "rights of citizenship" of corporations if we the people are to maintain our rights.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:19 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertMom View Post
It CAN apply to your primary home as it only applies to single family residences and duplexes. The stipulation is that you must have live in the home CONTINUOUSLY for the previous six months. If the bank kicks you out and forecloses after you and your family have moved out, they will go after the money. The reason this law was not previously written is because it was commonly accepted law that the bank is accepted the mortgaged property as collateral for the loan, so whatever they get from that collateral fulfills the contract. At least that is my understanding.
That is not what the amendment says. It says it must have been USED by the trustor as a single or two family residence for a period of six consecutive months (nothing about immediately preceding). It's vague - what is "used"? For sure it means that if you lived in the house with your family for any six consecutive months then the old rules apply. Anyway, it is repealed in the budget law if that is ever signed.

I agree with you. Banks knew the risk or should have when they offered the loan at the interest and terms they did. They should not be allowed to change the rules after the fact. I hope the people of Prescott throw the bank tool who wrote this amendment out of office next election. Even he admits it was bad legislation and sponsored the repeal.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
Bumping for update. Does anyone know where this stands? Was there ever clarification on the six months residence rule? We lived in our home for 15 straight months, but haven't lived there in 20 months. If we foreclose, are we liable for the difference?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
I lost 20% value of my house. I did not walk away. I did the right thing and paid the difference between what I owed and what I sold the house for.

This is why I am 100% against any subsidy to any stuck buyer. They did not whine when the prices ran up did they? They did not offer to share their profits if they sold at the right time, did they?

Suffer, stuck greed-heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
I don't know how folks sleep at night when they do such things. A contact is a contract and to default when you can afford to pay is immoral and we all end up paying the bill. I am upside down on my house but I would never ever walk away!! I will sit it out until the market turns and if it doesn't then it is just the risk that I took. I bought my home to live in and that is exactly what I will do. Sorry I don't mean to rant but my home value continues to slide because of sleazy individuals who walk away when they can afford to pay and it just pisses me off big time.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I lost 20% value of my house. I did not walk away. I did the right thing and paid the difference between what I owed and what I sold the house for.

This is why I am 100% against any subsidy to any stuck buyer. They did not whine when the prices ran up did they? They did not offer to share their profits if they sold at the right time, did they?

Suffer, stuck greed-heads.
We had a hard time understanding the people who just walked from homes that were underwater and they were able to make the payments. This has happened to us twice in 30 years and we never walked and just waited until the market improved. Always made money on most of our homes, or broke even. I blame the media to some extent and recall them chanting over and over "they owe more than the house is worth." Like it was some kind of fatal disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area