Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
How hot is it? July 2009 may be the hottest ever in Phoenix - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

And some people wonder why there are so many complaints about the heat?! This is why! The Phoenix summers are becoming generally less tolerable, mostly due to the "urban heat island effect". The low temperatures are consistently becoming hotter as a result, as noted by the article's reference to the average low temperature being 87.1 degrees for the month. There used to be a time when 87 degrees was the WARMEST minimum temperature reading during an entire summer.
Well we continue to build and skip to my loom, thinking everything is ok. No spaces between buildings, no giant parks, no forest'ish areas, no green roofs, no smart building design, nothing. We will continue to build even when it gets up to 130 ... 140. But people will start leaving by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:31 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
It should be noted that the official weather for Phoenix is from Sky Harbor. I doubt there is a hotter place in the city than the airport. Between the pavement, jet exhaust, cars and a/c exhaust, it no doubt is a few degrees warmer than the subdivisions. Also, Sky Harbor is warmer now than it was 25 and 50 years ago.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
At the peak, Seattle's temperature was 104 with 19% humidity - the daily average was 45%, which includes times of cooler temps. For comparison, we hit 104 and 20% yesterday around noon.
I looked up the weather and our, well my zip 85003 had a peak humidity level of 14% and a dew point below 45°. In Seattle their humidity fluctuates depending on water surface temperature, wind speed and direction, cloud cover, etc. Because of their geographic location and proximity to huge bodies of water in every direction, their fluctuation of water vapor levels is much greater than Phoenix'. My friends and family told me that at peak times it was hot and humid and dew points around and over 60°. The higher the dew point temp the worse the heat index and the moisture in the air. This makes hot weather in Seattle unbearable compared to Phoenix. On top of that, as discussed you and I (most likely) have air conditioning whereas this is not true of most of the population in Western Washington.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Well we continue to build and skip to my loom, thinking everything is ok. No spaces between buildings, no giant parks, no forest'ish areas, no green roofs, no smart building design, nothing. We will continue to build even when it gets up to 130 ... 140. But people will start leaving by then.
In order for that to happen, we'd have to build continuously to L.A. and Tuscon in the other direction which is impossible. Beyond that, we'd have to make every building of dark concrete and asphalt with NO vegetation, none. It would take hundreds of years for the temperatures to reach 130° and that would be with old technologies and old standards.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I looked up the weather and our, well my zip 85003 had a peak humidity level of 14% and a dew point below 45°. In Seattle their humidity fluctuates depending on water surface temperature, wind speed and direction, cloud cover, etc. Because of their geographic location and proximity to huge bodies of water in every direction, their fluctuation of water vapor levels is much greater than Phoenix'. My friends and family told me that at peak times it was hot and humid and dew points around and over 60°. The higher the dew point temp the worse the heat index and the moisture in the air. This makes hot weather in Seattle unbearable compared to Phoenix. On top of that, as discussed you and I (most likely) have air conditioning whereas this is not true of most of the population in Western Washington.
NWS had 104, 20%, and 56° here - 103, 19%, and 54° in Seattle for the times I referenced (11:51a and 5:53p, respectively). I understand the effect dew point and humidity have on the perception of heat, I was just pointing out that while Seattle may hit 103 and 45%, they didn't hit them at the same time.

Their lack of AC is seriously a bummer. My friend told me she is baking in her apartment. The last time I was there, the high was only about 85 and I had trouble sleeping. I can only imagine what it feels like right now.

Last edited by Robert A; 07-30-2009 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Al Gore invented global warming.

The Sonoran Desert had nothing to do with it.

130 cuz of no "forestish" areas in Phoenix. LOL.

What the hell?

Green roofs?

Ya gotta be kidding me.....

Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Also, Sky Harbor is warmer now than it was 25 and 50 years ago.
Exactly my point. The data proves that the average temperatures have increased over the last quarter to half century. However, it's warmer all over the Valley now than 25 or 50 years ago. If you watch the 10 PM news when they're giving the temperature readings across the metro area, the temperatures are basically the same at Sky Harbor and downtown Phoenix as they are in places like Glendale, Tempe, Ahwatukee, etc. It is only suburban areas in the far flung fringes that are cooler ... and those areas will soon become hotter if this sprawl keeps occurring at a rapid pace.

Quote:
We've had 15 days this summer with temps between 110°-114° and one day with a recorded temp of 115° at Sky Harbor.
Actually, two days with 115 degrees: July 12th and July 28th. Also, keep in mind that the record for the number of days at 110 degrees or higher is 30 (set two years ago). We still have the entire month of August where temps could easily climb to 110 and above, so the two year old record could be tied or broken again if this same hot, dry, monsoonless scenario continues.

Quote:
June was considered one of the coldest on record because we came close to setting record low highs a few times and record low lows as well.
We never came close to setting any record low minimum temps during June. The lowest temperature for the entire month was 68 degrees on the 7th. On that day, the record low temp was 56 degrees. There are many days duirng the first half of June that have record lows in the 50s (even one day in June with a record low in the high 40s if you can believe it).

Also, I stated before that June was cooler than normal ... but not one of the coldest by any stretch. The coolest June on record in terms of average temperature was 79.0 in 1965. June of 2009 had an average temperature of 88.7 degrees, which according to the official data, actually ranked as the 34th warmest June on record. The only "cool" record that was set last month was the number of consecutive days that failed to make 100 degrees ... it tied for the third longest streak.

Quote:
DAILY RECORDS...
NO RECORDS WERE SET.

...MONTHLY RANKS...
AVERAGE HIGH TEMPERATURE...T27TH COOLEST
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE........ 34TH WARMEST
AVERAGE LOW TEMPERATURE.... 19TH WARMEST
PRECIPITATION..............T37TH WETTEST

...MISCELLANEOUS...
- THERE WERE 15 DAYS IN A ROW WHEN THE TEMPERATURE FAILED TO BREAK
100 DEGREES. THIS TIED AS THE THIRD LONGEST STREAK OF SUB-100
DEGREE DAYS IN JUNE ON RECORD /LONGEST 17 DAYS IN 1913/.
- THE AVERAGE HIGH TEMPERATURE FROM THE 6TH THROUGH THE 19TH WAS
95.3 DEGREES...MAKING IT THE COOLEST TWO WEEK STRETCH OF WEATHER
IN JUNE SINCE 1999.
http://www.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=psr

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
If it makes you feel any better, this has been the coldest July on record in Duluth, MN. It's been a cooooooooold and bland summer in Minnesota this year. At least I'll be moving to Phoenix next summer.

Not saying I'll enjoy 110+ degree temps, but at least I'll know what to expect each season.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
If it makes you feel any better, this has been the coldest July on record in Duluth, MN. It's been a cooooooooold and bland summer in Minnesota this year. At least I'll be moving to Phoenix next summer.

Not saying I'll enjoy 110+ degree temps, but at least I'll know what to expect each season.
Best walleye and pike fishin' in the world though. Sell your snowmobile before you come out here.

No need to pack that ice fishin' stuff either.

Wish that I'd brought a tip up or two to hang on the wall.

Good conversation piece if anything.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
"Exactly my point. The data proves that the average temperatures have increased over the last quarter to half century."

But only at the data collection site. The temps at the airport have risen because 1) it used to be outside of town and surrounded on three sides by farm fields, 2) have a lot less pavement, 3) a lot less aircraft and, at one point, zero jet aircraft, 4) fewer buildings. If you compare airport data at Buckeye Muni airport now and 50 years from now, you'll see the temps rise, but only because the increased infrastructure and airplanes and types of airplanes.
If one were to collect their data downtown, how much would the data fluctuate over time? If one were to collect data in the suburbs, how much would the data fluctuate over time? If one collects data 20 miles outside of town, how much would the data fluctuate over time? If one goes 50 miles outside of town, how much would the data fluctuate over time? Etc.
Now, how much of the fluctuations are normal fluctuations in temperatures? El Nino just started up in the Pacific. La Nina won't be long following. How do those events effect the data? Sun spots and solar flairs (or lack thereof)?
There are so many questions, but few answers, and very litte data, certainly not enough to make any conclussions with.
Because just as much as pavement may increase temperatures locally (and I'm talking short distances), agriculture may decrease temperatures locally. So what can be said about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area