Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,589,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Best walleye and pike fishin' in the world though. Sell your snowmobile before you come out here.

No need to pack that ice fishin' stuff either.

Wish that I'd brought a tip up or two to hang on the wall.

Good conversation piece if anything.
Haha, see here's why I'm not a "Good Minnesotan": I've been here all my life, and I've never been walleye fishing, I've never snowmobiled, and I've never ice fished.

People honestly look at me like when I tell them I haven't done one or more of the above. I just never had a family that cared to do that stuff, so I never got into it.

I have gone ATV'ing a few times, but I'll be able to do that lots more in Arizona.

I'm excited to see how a 110 degree day is like though, honestly. I don't know of many people that would be too psyched of a -40 day up north. But it's something new, I'll embrace it rather than push it away. After all, I will be moving to a desert - I know what I'm getting myself into. Aiii!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 AM

123 posts, read 489,374 times
It seems odd, but I have been noticing this summer that the high temperatures at Phoenix/Mesa (Gateway) Airport have been running a few degrees higher than Sky Harbor. Although at night, the temperatures are a few degrees cooler.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,337,041 times
It HOT here in Denver too. We are probably going to hit 75 degrees today. If it weren't for the cool, crisp breeze coming down from the Rockies this weather would be intolerable.

I used to live in Phoenix. You have my sympathies...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,520,028 times
It is noticeably hotter now than just a decade ago when I moved here, I'm sure all the cityfication contributed to it.

I don't know why anyone with 1/2 a brain would deny it.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 AM

54,505 posts, read 33,935,300 times
It didn't feel any different than any other July in the past.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,228,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Why are you in denial about the fact that Phoenix is becoming hotter overall?! The statistics are available as proof that the Valley has indeed gotten warmer over the past few decades as a result of the heat island effect caused by massive sprawl. Not only is the Phoenix climate becoming warmer, but there is evidence that the heat island is causing reduced moisture levels:
CLIMATE OF PHOENIX: PART 1

Admittedly, June was relatively pleasant this year, and that was caused by unusual late season low pressure systems from the Pacific. However, in past years (decades), the low temperatures during an equally "cool" June would have been in the high 50s and 60s. This year's June only had one minimum temperature in the 60s.

Also, there have been consistent record high temperatures every single year ... especially record high minimums. When was the last time Phoenix officially recorded a record low minimum temperature? December 23, 1990 (almost 19 years ago) when the low temperature was 26 degrees. And before that date, the last record low was in 1979 (11 years earlier). Further proof of warming ... not necessarily global warming, but a more localized urban type of greenhouse effect.
Hell: there have been 'heat islands' in big cities since there were indeed such places.

Parts of Wash DC are now warm enough in the winter to grow certain species of palm trees of all things. It sure as hell was not that way when I left that place 31 years ago.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,228,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It didn't feel any different than any other July in the past.
Good point there.

It has been hot but; I still took my 1-3 mile walk almost every night @ about 7 PM

Old 07-31-2009, 10:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,105,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Good point there.

It has been hot but; I still took my 1-3 mile walk almost every night @ about 7 PM
I haven't noticed much of a difference either. I still run from my car with ac, to the store with ac, to the house with ac. Maybe my steering wheel has been a little harder to touch! lol Oh, and my ac bill is a little harder to touch as well.

What I did notice was how hot it got in May. It was as if May and June switched this year. I think the weather is just getting weirder. lol Hard to predict, and seasonally jumbled. lol Look at the North east.......summer never really showed up.
Maybe it's the start of the "end". This conversation sounds strangely familiar to the beginning of a movie I just saw this week about the end of the world. Don't look at the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 07-31-2009, 04:28 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,536,326 times
"It is noticeably hotter now than just a decade ago when I moved here, I'm sure all the cityfication contributed to it. I don't know why anyone with 1/2 a brain would deny it."

OK, it's warmer at the airport, but what about next to Tempe Town Lake? Is it cooler there than 50 years ago? While I've never seen temperature data from that location, common sense would say it is cooler. Agriculteral areas are cooler, as well. Those are disappearing, but, then again, many of them weren't around 100 years ago, either. What about established suburb neighborhhods? What about 20 miles outside of town in the desert? Are those temperatures rising? There is no data to indicate one way or another, and even if there was data, how much would cyclical events like El Nino, La Nina and sun activity effect that data?
So while temperatures at the airport may be rising, that does not mean that temperatures in other areas of Phoenix metro are rising, as well. There is not enough data to make any conclusions. However, one can dream any number of theories, if they want.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:20 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,045,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"It is noticeably hotter now than just a decade ago when I moved here, I'm sure all the cityfication contributed to it. I don't know why anyone with 1/2 a brain would deny it."

OK, it's warmer at the airport, but what about next to Tempe Town Lake? Is it cooler there than 50 years ago? While I've never seen temperature data from that location, common sense would say it is cooler. Agriculteral areas are cooler, as well. Those are disappearing, but, then again, many of them weren't around 100 years ago, either. What about established suburb neighborhhods? What about 20 miles outside of town in the desert? Are those temperatures rising? There is no data to indicate one way or another, and even if there was data, how much would cyclical events like El Nino, La Nina and sun activity effect that data?
So while temperatures at the airport may be rising, that does not mean that temperatures in other areas of Phoenix metro are rising, as well. There is not enough data to make any conclusions. However, one can dream any number of theories, if they want.
Very true. UHI's are not solid fact and inconsistencies outnumber actual data samples. Even in those UHI studies, they asterisk large sections of the UHI because the data doesn't follow the theoretical path. Swaths of Phoenix from Encanto-Palmcroft to Arcadia, North towards Sunnyslope, East toward PV, West towards Glendale, South towards Roosevelt, etc. etc. often are much cooler than Sky Harbor or sections of downtown because of the abundance of old growth coverage and greenery. Also, the drought plays a significant role in our slightly hotter averages. When the drought ends we'll forget about the heat until the next one comes then the hysteria starts all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area