Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Another alternate route,just for kicks and grins, is to take Cherry road across from the Dewey(lower Prescott valley)area to the interstate. Not a big deal, but better than the interstate.
And, there is a road from lower Cottonwood that winds over the mountains into Prescott Valley, don't recall the name, you'll see signs tho. It's dirt, windy, some dropoffs, but has some great views and winds down into a little wide spot in the road community hidden away in giant trees, not like you'd think to find in Arizona. Check your maps, details escape me. Be sure to slow down when approaching Jerome, lots of places to pull over, pics, and of course bozos cutting blind corners to watch for. Have fun.
If you decide to head on up to Flagstaff from Prescott, the Cherry Road route is a good idea. If you are just going to Prescott and back to the Valley, there's no particular reason to go that way, as it is a longer route both ways... it's a nice road, but nothing really special in terms of scenery, etc.

Another idea if you are basing out of Prescott is to go up to Jerome... that's a pretty drive, it's a good climb up onto Mingus Mountain, but very pretty drive up and back from Prescott (drb85650 and I are probably thinking of the same road, since he mentions Jerome, and there's only one way up there, I think, from Prescott)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
i would probably do prescott with a trip into jerome

Old 08-05-2009, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,301 times
Bisbee...hands down. I do love Prescott, but you'll never forget Bisbee.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,531 times
Bisbee is a great escape but it's also a hike from Phoenix... 200+ miles and not all interstate. If you go, book a room for a night at least, maybe two. Last time I went we drove down after work on a Fri. and got in late so (as the driver) I didn't really relax till the next day. It's pretty small, but instead of rushing, check out some eateries, homes and shops in the day and bars at night. You can then have some more time to check out the copper mine or stop by Tombstone.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 AM

687 posts, read 2,952,680 times
Forest route 372 is the dirt road I mentioned earlier, takes you thru the yawn and you miss it town of Cherry itself. Google map Cottonwood, follow the Camp Verde hiway down and you'll see it. Might ask a local about the condition first. Or, take the short route from Cherry hiway up to Cherry itself, then turn around. Nothing to see really, but then again, seen one mountain, seen 'em all, right? Another great route to escape heat would be Camp Verde to Strawberry. Don't go north to Winslow, it's almost as hot as Phoenix most summer days.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM

687 posts, read 2,952,680 times
oh, and op, don't forget to report back, tell all which route and how it was. thx

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM

221 posts, read 519,905 times
Took our trip last month and finally getting a chance here to post some feedback. Stayed at the Hassayampa Inn in Prescott. The lobby was impressive, but the rooms were so uncomfortably small and badly in need of updating. Aside from a couple cool establishments, Whiskey Row was less than spectacular. Then again, we hardly drink.

Watson Lake and the Granite Dells on the other hand were spectacular! Stopped here on the ride up to Jerome. Took our time driving up to Jerome (think it was 89A?) as it was some seriously rough road. Well worth it though. Incredible scenery and quite simply a perfect day in Jerome. So much to see that we couldn't fit everything into one day.

Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsbeach View Post
Took our trip last month and finally getting a chance here to post some feedback. Stayed at the Hassayampa Inn in Prescott. The lobby was impressive, but the rooms were so uncomfortably small and badly in need of updating. Aside from a couple cool establishments, Whiskey Row was less than spectacular. Then again, we hardly drink.

Watson Lake and the Granite Dells on the other hand were spectacular! Stopped here on the ride up to Jerome. Took our time driving up to Jerome (think it was 89A?) as it was some seriously rough road. Well worth it though. Incredible scenery and quite simply a perfect day in Jerome. So much to see that we couldn't fit everything into one day.

Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions.
There's some interesting restaurants in walking distance from the Square. (I don't remember if we talked restaurants here... next time you head that way, we will help you out! Whiskey Row doesn't have much charm for me, either. ) Glad you had a good time overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area