Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,206 times

Advertisements

Now we can have some monsoon discussions alongside the heat discusssions.

I came here in 1996 and recall some really hefty thunderstorms with drenching rains every summer until about 6 or 7 years ago. Barely even a sprinkle lately.

But every year in June they still warn us how heavy the upcoming storm season will be, but hardly anything happens.

What's going on? Is this just a temporary climatic trend or a permanent deal that the summers here are just hotter and dryer than ever before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
This is my fifth summer here, and I've seen some doozies. This year has been relatively quiet though, eh?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
funny how the local weather people out-do each other with some scary ominous "Monsoon Alert 2009" updates with ultra-Doppler in 3D, continuous crawls across the screen, break-in interruptions for the latest storm to hit Laveen, etc......

I agree that the storms when I was a kid seemed more frequent and intense....but everything was bigger as a kid, I guess

Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Just look of some of the damage from last year, which also was an above average year for precipitation. We are in a drought that's been holding on for a while now so that causes a disruption of the "normal" monsoonal flow from the south. This also explains the on/off years that we've had the last three summers. The summer isn't over and neither is the season. Let's see what we get. We had a wet May...a "monsoonal" like May for sure.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
There was a "once every 2,000 years" Monsoon flood in the Santa Catalina Mountains three years ago. In Tucson, there have been some pretty significant rains and flooding the last three Monsoons. Aside from May-June, this year's Monsoon has been very quiet.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:20 PM

643 posts, read 1,394,225 times
This year has been too quiet. My industry depends on the monsoon. this is not what the economy needs right now. Im stressing big time

Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I came here in 1996 and recall some really hefty thunderstorms with drenching rains every summer until about 6 or 7 years ago. Barely even a sprinkle lately.
You moved here during a period when the monsoon was pretty active. August of 1996 was when the entire northwest Valley was hit with a massive storm that caused widespread flooding and damage. The 1997 monsoon was about average if I recall, but 1998's & 1999's summer monsoons were wetter than normal. It seems to have been rather sporadic since about 2000 ... with the exception of last year (2008) being the wettest summer in 25 years.

Quote:
But every year in June they still warn us how heavy the upcoming storm season will be, but hardly anything happens.
That's the NWS for you. They create a huge hype every year about the summer monsoon ... but it hardly ever turns out to be the big deal they make it out to be. This is the same NWS that predicts a huge storm to move in with heavy rain, but the storms often turn out to be much weaker than they forecast. Seems funny that their predictions for sunshine and hot temperatures ALWAYS seem to be correct!

Also, keep in mind that Arizona's monsoon is really nothing more than a summer thunderstorm season ... and it's not always going to be rainy or stormy. The monsoons of India & SE Asia are ten times wetter and stormier than ours could ever hope to be. On average, Phoenix actually receives more rainfall during the winter months of December, January, February, and March than during the so called "monsoon" months of June, July, August, and September.

Quote:
What's going on? Is this just a temporary climatic trend or a permanent deal that the summers here are just hotter and dryer than ever before?
Summer temps are definitely hotter, especially the overnight lows. That's mostly due to the urban heat island effect. As long as the Valley continues to grow and sprawl outward, not only will the established areas remain hot day & night, but the current outlying areas will become much warmer as well.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,919 times
Sorry about the crappy monsoon seasons guys. It is all my fault. It is because I left 5 years ago. It will all be back to normal next year when I finally come back home.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,531 times
I've been looking forward for some monsoon storms to wipe away some major leaf piles that are too big for the garbage can.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You moved here during a period when the monsoon was pretty active. August of 1996 was when the entire northwest Valley was hit with a massive storm that caused widespread flooding and damage. The 1997 monsoon was about average if I recall, but 1998's & 1999's summer monsoons were wetter than normal. It seems to have been rather sporadic since about 2000 ... with the exception of last year (2008) being the wettest summer in 25 years.

That's the NWS for you. They create a huge hype every year about the summer monsoon ... but it hardly ever turns out to be the big deal they make it out to be. This is the same NWS that predicts a huge storm to move in with heavy rain, but the storms often turn out to be much weaker than they forecast. Seems funny that their predictions for sunshine and hot temperatures ALWAYS seem to be correct!

Also, keep in mind that Arizona's monsoon is really nothing more than a summer thunderstorm season ... and it's not always going to be rainy or stormy. The monsoons of India & SE Asia are ten times wetter and stormier than ours could ever hope to be. On average, Phoenix actually receives more rainfall during the winter months of December, January, February, and March than during the so called "monsoon" months of June, July, August, and September.

Summer temps are definitely hotter, especially the overnight lows. That's mostly due to the urban heat island effect. As long as the Valley continues to grow and sprawl outward, not only will the established areas remain hot day & night, but the current outlying areas will become much warmer as well.
Huh, I thought monsoon season was the rainy season here. I know it rains pretty good in February and March sometimes but I just recall most of the drenching rains in the summer.

I remember right after I moved here it would rain almost every afternoon or evening somewhere in Phoenix, just not everywhere would get wet.

Weather forecasts are the same no matter where you go, they never seem to get storm forecasts right. Maybe they do that hype on purpose to get people more prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area