Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Verizon is really expensive and their phones are locked down.

I had T-mobile in Phoenix and never had any problems.
Same here. My co-workers have a G1 and a sidekick, they never complain about the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 AM

291 posts, read 2,076,055 times
Sadly, Alltel was the leader in Arizona. Verizon's acquision of Alltel has made Verizon that much better in the state. There is no better choice for coverage in the west. However, it depends on where you spend MOST of your time. My 2nd choice in Phoenix is Sprint because they roam on Verizon outside of town.

The future is a bit murkey for the others. AT&T has always had challenges in PHX, but by the end of next year, they will take over the Alltel network in Phoenix and convert it to GSM. That will help. The downside is that Verizon will no longer expand or upgrade Alltel's GSM network, and they can drop it in 4 years, so GSM (AT&T + T-Mobile) outside if the Metro area will slowly degrade.

Make your decision based on what you need today. There is a web site where you can compare each carrier's coverage on the same screen, and see if the one with the best price has coverage where you need it.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,761 times
I live in Central Phx and have been using Sprint for several years without problems...no dropped calls or poor reception. I pay $35 a month and am on the free calls past 7pm and on weekends, with 200 anytime minutes. As I don't have kids and work during the daytime, this is really not a problem...plenty of minutes for me.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 28,167 times
I've got VZW and has had sprint before and it wasn't very good at my house at the east valley. Maybe look into a repeater if you really want to have sprint.

Moderator cut: can't make recs until after 10th post

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2009 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: user too new

Old 09-26-2009, 07:25 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,559 times
My Alltel phone's antenna broke a few months ago. I had an old LG dumb phone. With Alltel, before the phone broke I still would get a bunch of dropped calls.

Now I went to its parent company, Verizon, got a smart phone. My Alltel contract ended anyway. I have been happier since. No dropped calls. Voice clarity is much better too. I am in love with the LG Versa - it's no Iphone, but I like VZ Navigator and its internet capabilities.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 84,448 times
Sprint - Coverage is very good, extensive roaming (as mentioned), the best priced plans.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:27 PM

105 posts, read 274,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post

Anyhow, my wife and I both have iPhones on AT&T and the coverage is HORRIBLE here. Neither one of us can have a conversation lasting more than five minutes before it drops. I spoke to AT&T about it and the only thing they could say is they plan on adding more antennas in the future.
This is exactly what happened to us when we moved 5 miles east of our previous location in Chandler. We had to give up our beloved iPhones and switch to Verizon where service has been flawless.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:03 PM

12 posts, read 28,167 times
I've been working on a project where we are trying to map out cell phone coverage for the carriers. There is a lot of good data in the phx east valley. Hopefully, it can help you decide which carrier has the best coverage for where you will be using it.

Let me know if you want a certain area mapped out and we can make it happen.

Blips Alpha

Old 09-27-2009, 12:59 AM

162 posts, read 384,143 times
I had a iPhone with ATT for a week, and I hated it, the phone was alright, but the internet was slow, and the call quality was poor.

I switched back to Verizon and got the Env Touch, I get signal all over phoenix, even when camping out in the woods, I have used Verizon for years.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
I don't think it matters any more. This isn't 10 years ago in which you had to shop for phones according to best coverage. In the past, I thought Sprint was the best because I had Verizon and I used to get dropped calls all the time. Now, you will get great coverage with any of the big three: ATT, Sprint and Verizon. If you are living in a rural area, it be wise to ask that question but otherwise pick the plan that is most affordable to you and offers the phone you are most content with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area