Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times

Advertisements

Not sure when they quit (early 80s?) ten cents a scoop but it was long after they needed to.
I asked many times why they kept the price unnaturally low. It was for 'old times sake'. As time went by it was increasingly difficult to get someone off the regester to serve it.
I always got the double scoop cherry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:20 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,473,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Not sure when they quit (early 80s?) ten cents a scoop but it was long after they needed to.
I asked many times why they kept the price unnaturally low. It was for 'old times sake'. As time went by it was increasingly difficult to get someone off the regester to serve it.
Ooh! That cherry ice cream was good! (Runs to local water and ice store)

Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Default Thrifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Any of you remember going to Thrifty's back in the day to get an ice cream cone? I grew up in S. California and I remember going to Thrifty's for ice cream as a child- it was the best ice cream ever

I guess Arizona had Thrifty's back in the day as well?

I hear that some of the Purified Water & Ice locations in the valley have Thrifty's ice cream The one in Fountain Hills atleast does according to their website. Fountain Hills Water & Ice -* Water Delivery in Fountain Hills, Arizona

I may have to go there once to bring back those fond memories!
I grew up in So. Cal also. The ice cream cones were the best at Thrifty. What I remember most was the lunch/dinner counter. My mom was in the hospital for a few months, and my dad would take me there for dinner once in awhile. I thought the turkey dinner was wonderful.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 AM

75 posts, read 95,107 times
There is one at Rocky Point. near the Coasta Bravo. It was real good after the fish tacos from the fish market. I was doing DQ a lot in Thailand. Small cone is 30 cents, but KFC has them for 27 cents and might even be better.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Most of the water stores around Goodyear have Thrifty Ice Cream. We stop by for a Pistachio Ice Cream Cone on a regular basis. I also remember trips to Thrifty for Ice Cream back in the day.
Do these Water & Ice stores serve the ice cream in a stack, like this?---> Cuisipro Ice Cream Scoop & Stack - ThisNext
I remember Thrifty's doing that Anyone know?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
MacAlpines Soda Fountain also uses thrifty's ice cream in all of their stuff

Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
I worked at Thrifty's at West Covina in the late 50's and it was 5 cents a scoop using those odd squarish things that you pushed down into the ice cream. I think the idea was if you wanted a triple scoop it wouldn't fall over before the kid got out the door. By the way, we sold gum for 3 cents and a carton of cigarettes for $3.10

Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I worked at Thrifty's at West Covina in the late 50's and it was 5 cents a scoop using those odd squarish things that you pushed down into the ice cream. I think the idea was if you wanted a triple scoop it wouldn't fall over before the kid got out the door. By the way, we sold gum for 3 cents and a carton of cigarettes for $3.10
I love the "square scoop" idea. Those cones hold together better, for sure.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I love the "square scoop" idea. Those cones hold together better, for sure.
Cuisipro makes a cylinder stackable scoop that you can buy.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:00 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,238,631 times
The store that was at 19th and T-bird for me. I spent most of my "coin" in the early 70s on the strawberry. Loved it. I remember the scoopers that were always soaking in a murky bubble filled little sink with a "always on" stream of water running from a tiny faucet. Kinda gross, but as a kid, who cared. My "crew" and I would load up on the ice cream then head across the parking lot to the Straw Hat pizza joint to play those state of the art Atari video games. We could kill an afternoon with about 75 cents. Ah childhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area